I am the project leader of the hard winter wheat breeding program for the High Plains and Rolling Plains of Texas. Responsibilities include management of the cultivar development project, graduate student training, and conducting research relevant to wheat genetic improvement. My current research interests are breeding for water use efficiency, introgression of forage and grain yield traits from synthetic hexaploid wheat, high throughput phenotyping for biomass production, marker assisted breeding for biotic and abiotic stress resistance, and enhanced bread-making quality.
- Shrestha, R., Thapa, S., Xue, Q., Stewart, B. A., Blaser, B. C., Ashiadey, E. K., Rudd, J. C., & Devkota, R. N. (2020). Winter wheat response to climate change under irrigated and dryland conditions in the US southern High Plains. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(1), 112-122.
- Gerrish, B. J., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Neely, C., & Subramanian, N. K. (2019). Identifying mega-environments for hard red winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) production in Texas. Euphytica. 215(7),
- Peng, B., Liu, X., Dong, X., Xue, Q., Neely, C. B., Marek, T., ... Rudd, J. C. (2019). Root morphological traits of winter wheat under contrasting environments. JOURNAL OF AGRONOMY AND CROP SCIENCE. 205(6), 571-585.
- Thapa, S., Rudd, J. C., Xue, Q., Bhandari, M., Reddy, S. K., Jessup, K. E., ... Baker, S. (2019). Use of NDVI for characterizing winter wheat response to water stress in a semi-arid environment. Journal of Crop Improvement. 33(5), 633-648.
- Olanrewaju, S., Rajan, N., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Liu, S., Sui, R., Jessup, K. E., & Xue, Q. (2019). Using aerial imagery and digital photography to monitor growth and yield in winter wheat. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING. 40(18), 6905-6929.
- Rudd, J. C., Horsley, R. D., McKendry, A. L., & Elias, E. M. (2001). Host plant resistance genes for fusarium head blight: Sources, mechanisms, and utility in conventional breeding systems. CROP SCIENCE. 41(3), 620-627.