I am the project leader of the hard winter wheat breeding program for the High Plains and Rolling Plains of Texas. Responsibilities include management of the cultivar development project, graduate student training, and conducting research relevant to wheat genetic improvement. My current research interests are breeding for water use efficiency, introgression of forage and grain yield traits from synthetic hexaploid wheat, high throughput phenotyping for biomass production, marker assisted breeding for biotic and abiotic stress resistance, and enhanced bread-making quality.
- Bhandari, M., Baker, S., Rudd, J. C., Ibrahim, A., Chang, A., Xue, Q., ... Auvermann, B. (2021). Assessing the Effect of Drought on Winter Wheat Growth Using Unmanned Aerial System (UAS)-Based Phenotyping. Remote Sensing. 13(6), 1144-1144.
- Dhakal, S., Liu, X., Girard, A., Chu, C., Yang, Y., Wang, S., ... Liu, S. (2021). Genetic dissection of end‐use quality traits in two widely adapted wheat cultivars ‘TAM 111’ and ‘TAM 112’. CROP SCIENCE.
- Chu, C., Wang, S., Paetzold, L. i., Wang, Z., Hui, K., Rudd, J. C., ... Liu, S. (2021). RNA-seq analysis reveals different drought tolerance mechanisms in two broadly adapted wheat cultivars ‘TAM 111’ and ‘TAM 112’. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 11(1), 4301.
- Adhikari, A., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Baenziger, P. S., & Sarazin, J. (2020). Estimation of heterosis and combining abilities of U.S. winter wheat germplasm for hybrid development in Texas. CROP SCIENCE. 60(2), 788-803.
- Thapa, S., Xue, Q., Jessup, K. E., Rudd, J. C., Liu, S., Devkota, R. N., & Baker, J. A. (2020). Soil water extraction and use by winter wheat cultivars under limited irrigation in a semi-arid environment. Journal of Arid Environments. 174, 104046-104046.
- Rudd, J. C., Horsley, R. D., McKendry, A. L., & Elias, E. M. (2001). Host plant resistance genes for fusarium head blight: Sources, mechanisms, and utility in conventional breeding systems. CROP SCIENCE. 41(3), 620-627.