My area of specialization is the molecular biology of papovaviruses, with a primary focus on how viral proteins modify the host cell environment. Recently, we determined that the viral replication proteins, E1 and E2, are post-translationally modified by addition of 1 or more SUMO moieties. Sumoylation is a widespread modification whose biological functions are only recently becoming understood. Studies are in progress to 1) determine the role of sumoylation in the viral life cycle, 2) evaluate the effect of sumoylation on the structure and activity of the E1 helicase, 3) understand the mechanism by which sumoylation influences E2 stability and transcriptional activity, and 4) determine how sumoylation is modulated by the viral E6 oncoprotein. In addition to the role of sumoylation in the viral life cycle, we are also exploring how sumoylation participates in normal keratinocyte differentiation. We have developed a keratinocyte cell line inducibly expressing a tagged SUMO moiety to facilitate proteomics studies of sumoylation changes and regulation during controlled differentiation.
- Stony Brook University - (Stony Brook, New York, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1983
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Case Western Reserve University - (Cleveland, Ohio, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Applied Biology, Georgia Institute of Technology - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1975
- Deyrieux, A. F., & Wilson, V. G (2017). Sumoylation in Development and Differentiation.. Adv Exp Med Biol. 963, 197-214.
- Wilson, V. G (2017). Viral Interplay with the Host Sumoylation System.. Adv Exp Med Biol. 963, 359-388.
- Wilson, V. G (2014). The role of ubiquitin and ubiquitin-like modification systems in papillomavirus biology.. Viruses. 6(9), 3584-3611.
- Wilson, V. G (2012). Sumoylation at the host-pathogen interface.. Biomolecules. 2(2), 203-227.
- Heaton, P. R., Deyrieux, A. F., Bian, X., & Wilson, V. G (2011). HPV E6 proteins target Ubc9, the SUMO conjugating enzyme.. Virus Res. 158(1-2), 199-208.
- Wilson, V. G (2017). Introduction to Sumoylation.. MATHEMATICAL MODELLING IN EXPERIMENTAL NUTRITION. SUMO Regulation of Cellular Processes. 1-12. Springer International Publishing.
- Wilson, V. G., & Heaton, P. (2011). Deltapapillomavirus. Tidona, C., & Darai, G. (Eds.), The Springer Index of Viruses. 1051-1056. Springer New York.
- Wilson, V. G., & Heaton, P. (2011). Etapapillomavirus. Tidona, C., & Darai, G. (Eds.), The Springer Index of Viruses. 1065-1068. Springer New York.
- Wilson, V. G. (2009). Introduction to Sumoylation. SUMO Regulation of Cellular Processes. 1-10. Springer Netherlands.
- Deyrieux, A. F., & Wilson, V. G. (2009). Sumoylation in Development and Differentiation. SUMO Regulation of Cellular Processes. 187-199. Springer Netherlands.
- MCGRATH, J. C., WILSON, V. G., DUNN, W. R., & TEMPLETON, A (1991). THE INTERACTION BETWEEN ALPHA-1-ADRENOCEPTORS AND ALPHA-2-ADRENOCEPTORS - THE SEARCH FOR VASCULAR ALPHA-2-ADRENOCEPTORS INVITRO. ADRENOCEPTORS : STRUCTURE, MECHANISMS, FUNCTION. 211-220.
- WILSON, V. G (1990). MULTIPLE LOCI OF STATIC DNA BENDING IN PAPILLOMAVIRUS GENOMES. PAPILLOMAVIRUSES ///. 124, 179-187.
- DALY, C. J., DUNN, W. R., McGRATH, J. C., & WILSON, V. G (1989). A Comparison of the Actions of BAY K-8644 and Angiotensin II on Extracellular Calcium-Dependent Contractile Responses Mediated by Postjunctional ?2-Adrenoceptors. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 560(1 Calcium Chann), 440-443.
- WILSON, H. J., & WILSON, V. G (1983). ON THE STABILITY OF HELICAL MORPHOLOGY IN SPIROPLASMAS EXPOSED TO SELECTED CYTO-TOXIC AGENTS. YALE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 56(5-6), 846-847.
- IPA - Ricky Savjani awarded by Michael E. Debakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center 2015 - 2016