My interests are American literature and culture, gender studies, and women writers.
education and training
- Ph.D. in English, Duke University - (Durham, North Carolina, United States) 1988
- M.A. in English, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1981
- B.A. in English, University of Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1977
- Matthews, P. R. (2013). Review of Ana M. Martínez Alemán’s, “Accountability, Pragmatic Aims, and the American University\". The International HETL Review. 3,
- Fowler, D. A., Matthews, P. R., Schielack, J. F., Webb, R. C., & Wu, X. B. (2012). The power of inquiry as a way of learning in undergraduate education at a large research university. New Directions for Teaching and Learning. 2012(129), 81-91.
- Matthews, P. R. (2009). Beyond the Jokes on ‘Helicopter Parents'.
- Sizer, P. S., Felstehausen, V., Sawyer, S., Dornier, L., Matthews, P., & Cook, C. (2007). Eight critical skill sets required for manual therapy competency: a Delphi study and factor analysis of physical therapy educators of manual therapy.. J Allied Health. 36(1), 30-40.
- Matthews, P. R. (2007). Reimagining The Sheltered Life: Catherine Turney adapts Ellen Glasgow. Resources for American Literary Study. 32(1), 163-239.
- Glasgow, E., & Matthews, P. R. (2005). Perfect Companionship Ellen Glasgow's Selected Correspondence with Women. University of Virginia Press.
- Matthews, P. R. (1994). Ellen Glasgow and a Woman's Traditions. University of Virginia Press.
- Matthews, P. R. (2007). Changing the Laws of History: Adrienne Rich’s Joan of Arc. Waddell, W. S. (Eds.), \"Catch If You Can Your Country's Moment\" Recovery and Regeneration in the Poetry of Adrienne Rich. (pp. 27-43). Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Paetzold, R., Watson, K., Matthews, P., & Rinehart, J. (1995). Gender in engineering courses: legal and social issues. Annual ASEE Conference Proceedings, Seattle, Washington June 14-17, 2015. 1, 18-24.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Green-Barteet, Miranda A. (2009-08). Neither Wholly Public, Nor Wholly Private: Interstitial Spaces in Works by Nineteenth-Century American Women Writers. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Park, Mi Sun (2007-12). Reimagining the nation: gender and nationalism in contemporary U.S. women's literature. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Dean Of Liberal Arts; 4223 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4223