My laboratory is broadly interested in elucidation of structural organization of amyloid oligomers using Tip-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (TERS).
The ultimate objective of our studies is to unravel structural elements on surfaces of amyloid oligomers that are responsible for their toxicity and propensity to propagate into amyloid fibrils. These findings will help to guide pharmaceutical drug screening efforts towards finding selective blockaders of amyloid fibrillation at the stage where their aggregates are minimally toxic. Finally, resolving the structure of amyloid oligomers will give an inside how to cure Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases and dementia.
- Ph.D. in Analytical/Physical Chemistry, University at Albany, State University of New York - (Albany, New York, United States) 2013
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry, Belarusian State University - (Minsk, Belarus) 2007
- Morey, R., Ermolenkov, A., Payne, W. Z., Scheuring, D. C., Koym, J. W., Vales, M. I., & Kurouski, D. (2020). Non-invasive identification of potato varieties and prediction of the origin of tuber cultivation using spatially offset Raman spectroscopy. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 412(19), 4585-4594.
- Sanchez, L., Ermolenkov, A., Tang, X., Tamborindeguy, C., & Kurouski, D. (2020). Non-invasive diagnostics of Liberibacter disease on tomatoes using a hand-held Raman spectrometer. Planta. 251(3), 64.
- Farber, C., Sanchez, L., Rizevsky, S., Ermolenkov, A., McCutchen, B., Cason, J., ... Kurouski, D. (2020). Raman Spectroscopy Enables Non-Invasive Identification of Peanut Genotypes and Value-Added Traits. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 7730.
- Farber, C., Mahnke, M., Sanchez, L., & Kurouski, D. (2019). Advanced spectroscopic techniques for plant disease diagnostics. A review. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 118, 43-49.
- Sanchez, L., Pant, S., Irey, M., Mandadi, K., & Kurouski, D. (2019). Detection and identification of canker and blight on orange trees using a hand‐held Raman spectrometer. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy. 50(12), 1875-1880.
- Bhat, V., Olenick, M. B., Schuchardt, B. J., Mikles, D. C., Deegan, B. J., McDonald, C. B., ... Farooq, A. (2013). Heat-induced fibrillation of BclXL apoptotic repressor. Biophysical Chemistry. 179, 12-25.
- Lednev, I. K., Kurouski, D., Lauro, W., Champion, P. M., & Ziegler, L. D. (2010). Amyloid Fibrils are “Alive” as Evident from Deep UV Raman Spectroscopic Examination: an Instrumentation Driven Discovery. EXPERIMENTAL CHAOS. 1267(1), 172-173.
- New Method Allows Scientists To Quickly Identify Individual Virus Particles Texas A&M Today September 14, 2020
- New method allows scientists to 'quick view' virus particles AgriLife Today September 11, 2020
- Researchers use Raman spectroscopy to speed up peanut breeding New Food Magazine June 9, 2020
- Raman spectroscopy delivers fast, accurate monitoring of peanut plant health Optics.org May 27, 2020
- Fast, accurate way to check peanut plants for healthy traits AgriLife Today May 25, 2020