Dr. Erdemir's research group focuses on bridging scientific principles with engineering innovations towards the development of new materials, coatings, and lubricants for a broad range of cross-cutting applications in manufacturing, transportation and other energy conversion and utilization systems where further increases in efficiency, reliability, and environmental sustainability are of primary objectives. His group specifically strives to unravel key/underlying mechanisms that control friction and wear at the most fundamental levels and develop more advanced surface layers and interface chemistries providing superlubricity and/or super high-hardness as well as extreme resistance to wear, corrosion, fatigue and other types of degradations under harsh operational and environmental conditions.
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1986
- M.S. in Materials Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1982
- B.S. in Metallurgy, Istanbul Technical University - (Istanbul, Turkey) 1977
- Baule, N., Kim, Y. S., Zeuner, A. T., Haubold, L., Kühne, R., Eryilmaz, O. L., ... Fan, Q. (2021). Boride-Carbon Hybrid Technology for Ultra-Wear and Corrosive Conditions. Coatings. 11(4), 475-475.
- Hackler, R. A., Vyavhare, K., Kennedy, R. M., Celik, G., Kanbur, U., Griffin, P. J., ... Delferro, M. (2021). Cover Feature: Synthetic Lubricants Derived from Plastic Waste and their Tribological Performance (ChemSusChem 19/2021). ChemSusChem. 14(19), 3976-3976.
- Vyavhare, K., Timmons, R. B., Erdemir, A., Edwards, B. L., & Aswath, P. B. (2021). Robust Interfacial Tribofilms by Borate- and Polymer-Coated ZnO Nanoparticles Leading to Improved Wear Protection under a Boundary Lubrication Regime. LANGMUIR. 37(5), 1743-1759.
- Hackler, R. A., Vyavhare, K., Kennedy, R. M., Celik, G., Kanbur, U., Griffin, P. J., ... Delferro, M. (2021). Synthetic Lubricants Derived from Plastic Waste and their Tribological Performance. ChemSusChem. 14(19), 4181-4189.
- Vyavhare, K., Timmons, R. B., Erdemir, A., Edwards, B. L., & Aswath, P. B. (2021). Tribochemistry of fluorinated ZnO nanoparticles and ZDDP lubricated interface and implications for enhanced anti-wear performance at boundary lubricated contacts. Wear. 474, 203717-203717.
- Berman, D., Erdemir, A., Zinovev, A. V., & Sumant, A. V. (2015). Nanoscale friction properties of graphene and graphene oxide. Diamond and Related Materials. 54, 91-96.
- Martin, C. L., Ajayi, O. O., Torrel, S., Demas, N., Erdemir, A., & Wei, R. (2013). Effect of Coating Thickness on Tribological Performance of CrN in Dry Sliding Contact. 75-77.
- Sista, V., Kahvecioglu, O., Kartal, G., Zeng, Q. Z., Kim, J. H., Eryilmaz, O. L., & Erdemir, A. (2013). Evaluation of electrochemical boriding of Inconel 600. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY. 215, 452-459.
- Erdemir, A. (2012). On the superlow friction behavior of certain carbon-based materials and coatings: Recent developments and future prospects. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 244,
- Al-Azizi, A., Barthel, A., Eryilmaz, O., Erdemir, A., & Kim, S. (2012). Using surface texturing and vapor phase lubrication to reduce friction and wear of diamond-like carbon. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 244,