My research interests include: critical teacher education, transformative/servant leadership, service learning/community education, ethnography, gifted education, culture + curriculum, and STEM education for underserved learners.
education and training
- Liao, L., Larke, P. J., & Hill-Jackson, V. (2011). Chinese Papermaking: A Multicultural and Environmental Education Strategy for Pre-K Teachers. Journal of Praxis in Multicultural Education. 6(1),
- Bonner, F. A., Lewis, C. W., Bowman-Perrott, L., Hill-Jackson, V., & James, M. (2009). Definition, identification, identity, and culture: A unique alchemy impacting the success of gifted African American millennial males in school. Journal for the Education of the Gifted. 33(2), 176-202.
- Lewis, C. W., James, M., Hancock, S., & Hill-Jackson, V. (2008). Framing African American students' success and failure in urban settings: A typology for change. URBAN EDUCATION. 43(2), 127-153.
- Hill-Jackson, V. (2007). Wrestling Whiteness: Three Stages of Shifting Multicultural Perspectives among White Pre-service Teachers. Multicultural Perspectives. 9(2), 29-35.
- Hill-Jackson, V. (2005). Culture Matters in High Risk, Lead Poisoned Communities. Practicing Anthropology. 27(3), 9-14.
- Hill-Jackson, V. (2017). ...And Then There Were None: Reversing the Exodus of Black Women from the Teaching Profession. Black Female Teachers. (pp. 9-48). Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Hill-Jackson, V. L., & Stafford, D. (2017). A Star Teacher for Every Classroom. Hill-Jackson, V., & Stafford, D. (Eds.), Better Teachers, Better Schools What Star Teachers Know, Believe, and Do. (pp. xiii-xxiii). IAP.
- Haberman, M., & Hill-Jackson, V. L. (2017). Gentle Teaching in a Violent Society: A Postscript for the 21st Century. Hill-Jackson, V., & Stafford, D. (Eds.), Better Teachers, Better Schools What Star Teachers Know, Believe, and Do. (pp. 13-30). IAP.
- Stafford, D., & Hill-Jackson, V. L. (2015). A star principal for every school. Stafford, D., & Hill-Jackson, V. (Eds.), Better Principals, Better Schools What Star Principals Know, Believe, and Do. (pp. xiii-xviii). IAP.
- Watson, R. E., & Hill-Jackson, V. L. (2015). No Principal Left Behind?: The Core Beliefs of Nine Urban Elementary Principals in a Midwest School District Implementing No Child Left Behind. Stafford, D., & Hill-Jackson, V. (Eds.), Better Principals, Better Schools What Star Principals Know, Believe, and Do. (pp. 15-35). IAP.
- (2012). Transforming Teacher Education What Went Wrong with Teacher Training, and How We Can Fix It. Stylus Publishing, LLC..
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Staley, Michele Diane (2018-05). Peer Observation as Professional Learning: A Case Study to Determine the Effectiveness of the Stop Light Learning Program in a Suburban High School. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Crook, Dena Marie (2017-12). Using Outcome Measures in the Evaluation of One Educator Preparation Program in Central Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Farooq, Rasheedah Muhammad (2017-12). Remixing Resilience: A Case Study of Academically Successful Black Males in an Urban Midwestern City. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Neill, Rebecca Anne (2017-12). Expectations Divergence: Exploring White Teachers' Beliefs and Practices at a Diverse Suburban High School. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Teaching, Learning And Culture (Tlac); 4232 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4232