The research in our group is organized around three main projects: nanoscale materials and devices, biological surfaces and interfaces and nanotribology,
with the overarching goal of developing custom engineered surfaces and interfaces. This requires obtaining a fundamental (molecular level) understanding of the underlying chemistry and physics of the systems in question to afford rational approaches to test and develop new technologies. In much of our research we employ a range of scanned probe microscopies such as scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) to probe structure and to manipulate materials at the nanoscale.
- Wu, F., Bhupathiraju, N., Brown, A., Liu, Z., Drain, C. M., & Batteas, J. D. (2020). Mechanical and Electronic Properties of Diacetylene and Polydiacetylene Self-Assembled Monolayers on Au(111). The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 124(7), 4081-4089.
- Banerjee, D. R., III, D., Elinski, M. B., Buzbee, M. L., Wang, W. W., Batteas, J. D., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2018). Plug-and-Play Approach for Preparing Chromatin Containing Site-Specific DNA Modifications: The Influence of Chromatin Structure on Base Excision Repair. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 140(26), 8260-8267.
- Parija, A., Choi, Y. H., Liu, Z., Andrews, J. L., De Jesus, L. R., Fakra, S. C., ... Banerjee, S. (2018). Mapping Catalytically Relevant Edge Electronic States of MoS
2. ACS Cent Sci. 4(4), 493-503.
- Gonzales, J., Bhupathiraju, N., Hart, D., Yuen, M., Sifuentes, M. P., Samarxhiu, B., ... Drain, C. M. (2018). One-Pot Synthesis of Four Chlorin Derivatives by a Divergent Ylide. J Org Chem. 83(12), 6307-6314.
- Bhupathiraju, N., Sayeedi, M., Rizvi, W., Singh, S., Batteas, J. D., & Michael Drain, C. (2018). Practical, high-yield synthesis of thiol-terminated diacetylenes for formation of conductive monolayers. Tetrahedron Letters.
- Skiles, S. L., Spear, J., Bergbreiter, D. E., & Batteas, J. D. (2014). Environment dependent tunability of surface mechanics in PNIPAM/SiO2 composite films. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Frank, J., Ewers, B., Batteas, J. D., Wheeler, S., & Dunbar, K. R. (2014). Extended superstructures developed from supramolecular anion-pi templated metallacycles. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Ewers, B. W., & Batteas, J. D. (2014). Giving molecules the squeeze: Self-assembled monolayers as model boundary lubricants in nanoasperity contacts. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Skiles, S. L., Spear, J., Bergbreiter, D. E., & Batteas, J. D. (2013). Tuning the surface mechanics of PNIPAM/SiO2 composite films. ACS Photonics. 245,
- Batteas, J. D. (2013). Examining the role of load dependent bond strain on atomic scale defect nucleation in nanoscopic contacts. 2, 1743.
- Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Awards, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - University Level- Teaching 2017
- Presidential Award conferred by National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers - (Pasadena, Maryland, United States) - For service to the STEM community 2015
- Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Awards, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College Level- Teaching 2013
- Fellow conferred by Royal Society of Chemistry - (London, United Kingdom) 2012
- Elinski, Meagan B. (2018-08). Tailoring Surface Forces to Control the Frictional Properties of Graphene. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pawlicki, Alison Andrea (2016-12). Charge Transport and Directed Assembly of Nano-confined Porphyrin Molecules on Surfaces: Towards Molecular and Organic Electronics. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Spear, Jessica (2015-12). Understanding and Controlling the Tribological Properties of Graphene on Rough Surfaces. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Skiles, Stephanie Lyn (2014-12). Chemical and Physical Properties of Nanomaterials for Model Catalytic Systems and Smart Polymer Membranes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ewers, Bradley William (2014-12). Geometric Nanoconfinement Effects on the Electronic and Mechanical Properties of Self-Assembled Molecular Systems. (Doctoral Dissertation)