The research in our group is organized around three main projects: nanoscale materials and devices, biological surfaces and interfaces and nanotribology,
with the overarching goal of developing custom engineered surfaces and interfaces. This requires obtaining a fundamental (molecular level) understanding of the underlying chemistry and physics of the systems in question to afford rational approaches to test and develop new technologies. In much of our research we employ a range of scanned probe microscopies such as scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) to probe structure and to manipulate materials at the nanoscale.
- Wu, F., Bhupathiraju, N., Brown, A., Liu, Z., Drain, C. M., & Batteas, J. D. (2020). Mechanical and Electronic Properties of Diacetylene and Polydiacetylene Self-Assembled Monolayers on Au(111). The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 124(7), 4081-4089.
- Wu, F., Liu, Z., Hawthorne, N., Chandross, M., Moore, Q., Argibay, N., Curry, J. F., & Batteas, J. D. (2020). Formation of Coherent 1H-1T Heterostructures in Single-Layer MoS2 on Au(111).. ACS NANO. 14(12), 16939-16950.
- Han, M., Kim, H., Leal, C., Negrito, M., Batteas, J. D., & Espinosa‐Marzal, R. M. (2020). Insight into the Electrical Double Layer of Ionic Liquids Revealed through Its Temporal Evolution. Advanced Materials Interfaces. 7(24), 2001313-2001313.
- Bhupathiraju, N., Sayeedi, M., Rizvi, W., Singh, S., Batteas, J. D., & Drain, C. M. (2018). Practical, high-yield synthesis of thiol-terminated diacetylenes for formation of conductive monolayers. Tetrahedron Letters. 59(40), 3629-3631.
- Banerjee, D. R., Deckard, C. E., Elinski, M. B., Buzbee, M. L., Wang, W. W., Batteas, J. D., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2018). Plug-and-Play Approach for Preparing Chromatin Containing Site-Specific DNA Modifications: The Influence of Chromatin Structure on Base Excision Repair.. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 140(26), 8260-8267.
- Skiles, S. L., Spear, J., Bergbreiter, D. E., & Batteas, J. D. (2014). Environment dependent tunability of surface mechanics in PNIPAM/SiO2 composite films. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 247,
- Frank, J., Ewers, B., Batteas, J. D., Wheeler, S., & Dunbar, K. R. (2014). Extended superstructures developed from supramolecular anion-pi templated metallacycles. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 247,
- Ewers, B. W., & Batteas, J. D. (2014). Giving molecules the squeeze: Self-assembled monolayers as model boundary lubricants in nanoasperity contacts. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 247,
- Diaz, A., Mosby, B., Mejia, A. F., Batteas, J. D., Cheng, Z., & Clearfield, A. (2013). Self-assembled monolayers based upon a zirconium phosphate platform: Improving applicability from drug delivery to thin Janus nanoparticles. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 245,
- Skiles, S. L., Spear, J., Bergbreiter, D. E., & Batteas, J. D. (2013). Tuning the surface mechanics of PNIPAM/SiO2 composite films. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 245,
- Presidential Award conferred by National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers - (Pasadena, Maryland, United States) - For service to the STEM community 2015
- Fellow conferred by Royal Society of Chemistry - (London, United Kingdom) 2012
- Liu, Zhuotong (2020-05). Tribological Properties of MoS2 on Semiconducting and Metallic Surfaces. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chalker, Cody Jon (2019-12). Electrical Properties of Nanoscale Materials for Energy Conversion Applications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Parija, Abhishek (2019-08). Design of Low-Dimensional Materials for Energy Storage, Computing, and Catalysis Based on Electronic Structure Considerations. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Elinski, Meagan B. (2018-08). Tailoring Surface Forces to Control the Frictional Properties of Graphene. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pawlicki, Alison Andrea (2016-12). Charge Transport and Directed Assembly of Nano-confined Porphyrin Molecules on Surfaces: Towards Molecular and Organic Electronics. (Doctoral Dissertation)