Dr. Kapler's broad research interests are concerned with the replication and transmission of eukaryotic chromosomes. The failure to completely replicate the genome during S phase or partially re-replicate chromosomes leads to genome instability- a hallmark of cancer cells. The central questions investigated in the laboratory are concerned with how replication initiation sites are established in chromosomes and how they are regulated during conventional (G1/S/G2/M) and alternative cell cycles, including endoreplication (gap-S-gap-S...) and locus-specific gene amplification. The current focus of the lab is to use high throughput (nascent strand) DNA sequencing to generate a comprehensive map of replication initiation sites under different physiological conditions.
- University of California, San Francisco - (San Francisco, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1994
- Ph.D. in Genetics, Harvard University - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Biology, University of Connecticut - (Storrs, Connecticut, United States) 1979
- Feng, L., Wang, G., Hamilton, E. P., Xiong, J., Yan, G., Chen, K., ... Liu, Y. (2017). A germline-limited piggyBac transposase gene is required for precise excision in Tetrahymena genome rearrangement. Nucleic acids research. 45(16), 9481-9502.
- Sandoval, P. Y., Lee, P., Meng, X., & Kapler, G. M. (2015). Checkpoint Activation of an Unconventional DNA Replication Program in Tetrahymena. PLoS Genet. 11(7), e1005405-e1005405.
- Lee, P., Meng, X., & Kapler, G. M. (2015). Developmental Regulation of the Tetrahymena thermophila Origin Recognition Complex. PLoS Genetics. 11(1), e1004875-e1004875.
- Gao, S., Xiong, J., Zhang, C., Berquist, B. R., Yang, R., Zhao, M., ... Liu, Y. (2013). Impaired replication elongation in Tetrahymena mutants deficient in histone H3 Lys 27 monomethylation. Genes & development. 27(15), 1662-1679.
- Donti, T. R., Datta, S., Sandoval, P. Y., & Kapler, G. M. (2009). Differential targeting of Tetrahymena ORC to ribosomal DNA and non-rDNA replication origins. EMBO J. 28(3), 223-233.
- KAPLER, G. M., & BLACKBURN, E. H. (1994). A WEAK EXCISION MUTATION BLOCKS DEVELOPMENTALLY-CONTROLLED AMPLIFICATION OF THE TETRAHYMENA-THERMOPHILA RDNA MINICHROMOSOME. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 100-100.
- Meng, Xiangzhou (2015-05). Distinct DNA Replication Programs in Tetrahymena Thermophila. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Po-Hsuen (2014-05). Regulation of DNA Replication During Conventional and Unconventional Cell Cycles in Tetrahymena. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Guerrero, Paola (2011-12). CTCF Contributes to the Regulation of the Ribosomal DNA in Drosophila melanogaster. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sandoval Oporto, Pamela (2011-05). Conserved and Unconventional Responses to DNA Damage in Tetrahymena. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Datta, Shibani (2005-12). Isolation and genetic dissection of an eukaryotic replicon that supports autonomous DNA replication. (Master's Thesis)