My work focuses on understanding the sources of disparities in pain, and the specific mechanisms by which social and cultural factors alter pain experience and pain physiology. My research targets the problem of pain disparities from two directions - investigating the different ways social factors may influence one's own pain, and also alter pain perception and empathy for others. To tackle these problems, my lab utilizes behavioral, psychophysical, and neuroimaging methodologies. I am also interested in individual differences in chronic pain and pain modulation, cross-cultural examinations of pain and empathy, and social environmental effects on health broadly defined.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 2012
- M.S. in Psychology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 2009
- B.S. in Human Physiology, Boston University - (Boston, Massachusetts, United States) 2005
- Rassu, F. S., Luedke, J. C., Nanavaty, N., Mathur, V. A., & Meagher, M. W. (2020). Greater mechanical temporal summation of pain in Latinx-Americans and the role of adverse life experiences.. PAIN Reports. 5(5), e842-e842.
- Mathur, V. A., Morris, T., & McNamara, K. (2020). Cultural conceptions of Women's labor pain and labor pain management: A mixed-method analysis. SOCIAL SCIENCE & MEDICINE. 261, 113240-113240.
- Ng, B. W., Nanavaty, N., & Mathur, V. A. (2019). The influence of Latinx American identity on pain perception and treatment seeking. Journal of Pain Research. 12, 3025-3035.
- Kim, H., Nanavaty, N., Mathur, V., & Anderson, B. (2018). Neural Mechanisms of Attentional Bias Following Aversive Conditioning. Journal of Vision. 18(10), 1253-1253.
- Mathur, V., Peoples, S., Nair, M., & Nanavaty, N. (2018). (130) Gender differences in the relationship between subjective socioeconomic status and laboratory pain. Journal of Pain. 19(3), s9-S9.
- Rassu, F., Luedke, J., Mathur, V., & Meagher, M. (2019). (161) Enhanced Suprathreshold Heat Pain Sensitivity in Healthy Hispanic Relative to Non-Hispanic White Adults: A Preliminary Examination. Journal of Pain. 20(4), s16-S16.
- Boring, B., Nanavaty, N., & Mathur, V. (2019). (167) Subjective Age is Associated with Temporal Summation of Mechanical Pain. Journal of Pain. 20(4), s18-S18.
- Nanavaty, N., Boring, B., & Mathur, V. (2019). (201) Disparities in Laboratory Pain amongst Latinx- and White-Americans. Journal of Pain. 20(4), s25-s26.
- Mathur, V. (2019). Social Mechanisms of Psychophysical Pain Disparities. Journal of Pain. 20(4), s1-S1.