My work focuses on understanding the sources of disparities in pain, and the specific mechanisms by which social and cultural factors alter pain experience and pain physiology. My research targets the problem of pain disparities from two directions - investigating the different ways social factors may influence one's own pain, and also alter pain perception and empathy for others. To tackle these problems, my lab utilizes behavioral, psychophysical, and neuroimaging methodologies. I am also interested in individual differences in chronic pain and pain modulation, cross-cultural examinations of pain and empathy, and social environmental effects on health broadly defined.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 2012
- M.S. in Psychology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 2009
- B.S. in Human Physiology, Boston University - (Boston, Massachusetts, United States) 2005
- Ng, B. W., Nanavaty, N., & Mathur, V. A. (2019). The influence of Latinx American identity on pain perception and treatment seeking. JOURNAL OF PAIN RESEARCH. 12, 3025-3035.
- Petre, B., Tetreault, P., Mathur, V. A., Schurgin, M. W., Chiao, J. Y., Huang, L., & Apkarian, A. V. (2017). A central mechanism enhances pain perception of noxious thermal stimulus changes.. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 7(1), 3894.
- Speed, T. J., Mathur, V. A., Hand, M., Christensen, B., Sponseller, P. D., Williams, K. A., & Campbell, C. M. (2017). Characterization of pain, disability, and psychological burden in Marfan syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 173(2), 315-323.
- Mathur, V. A., Kiley, K. B., Carroll, C. P., Edwards, R. R., Lanzkron, S., Haythornthwaite, J. A., & Campbell, C. M. (2016). Disease-Related, Nondisease-Related, and Situational Catastrophizing in Sickle Cell Disease and Its Relationship With Pain. The Journal of Pain. 17(11), 1227-1236.
- Mathur, V. A., Moayedi, M., Keaser, M. L., Khan, S. A., Hubbard, C. S., Goyal, M., & Seminowicz, D. A. (2016). High Frequency Migraine Is Associated with Lower Acute Pain Sensitivity and Abnormal Insula Activity Related to Migraine Pain Intensity, Attack Frequency, and Pain Catastrophizing. Front Hum Neurosci. 10,
- Nanavaty, N., Boring, B., & Mathur, V. (2019). Disparities in Laboratory Pain amongst Latinx- and White-Americans. The Journal of Pain. 20(4), S25-S26.
- Rassu, F., Luedke, J., Mathur, V., & Meagher, M. (2019). Enhanced Suprathreshold Heat Pain Sensitivity in Healthy Hispanic Relative to Non-Hispanic White Adults: A Preliminary Examination. The Journal of Pain. 20(4), S16-S16.
- Mathur, V. (2019). Social Mechanisms of Psychophysical Pain Disparities. The Journal of Pain. 20(4), S1-S1.
- Boring, B., Nanavaty, N., & Mathur, V. (2019). Subjective Age is Associated with Temporal Summation of Mechanical Pain. The Journal of Pain. 20(4), S18-S18.