education and training
- Ph.D. in History, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1999
- M.A. in History, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1995
- B.A. in Political Science, University of Kansas - (Lawrence, Kansas, United States) 1991
- Foote, L. (2017). Citizen-Officers: The Union and Confederate Volunteer Junior Officer Corps in the American Civil War by Andrew S. Bledsoe. Civil War History. 63(1), 68-70.
- Foote, L. (2017). Rethinking the Confederate Home Front. The Journal of the Civil War Era. 7(3), 446-465.
- Foote, L. (2017). Robert Elder. The Sacred Mirror: Evangelicalism, Honor, and Identity in the Deep South, 1790–1860.. AMERICAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. 122(4), 1218-1219.
- Foote, L. (2016). Civilization and savagery in the American civil war. South Central Review. 33(1), 21-36.
- Foote, L. (2016). Defining Duty in the Civil War: Personal Choice, Popular Culture, and the Union Home Front by J. Matthew Gallman. The Journal of the Civil War Era. 6(3), 452-454.
- Foote, L. (2016). The Yankee Plague Escaped Union Prisoners and the Collapse of the Confederacy. UNC Press Books.
- Foote, L. (2003). Seeking the One Great Remedy Francis George Shaw and Nineteenth-century Reform. Ohio University Press.
- Foote, L. (2018). Soldiers in the Union Army. Butler, J. (Eds.), Oxford Research Encyclopedias: American History. Oxford University Press.
- Foote, L. (2018). ’The Sternest Feature of War’: Prisoner of War and the Practice of Retaliation. Gray, M. P. (Eds.), Crossing the Deadlines: Civil War Prisons Reconsidered. Kent State University Press.
- Foote, L. (2015). Historians and intellectual life in the civil war era. So Conceived and So Dedicated: Intellectual Life in the Civil War-Era North. (pp. 1-18).
- Foote, L. (2014). Soldiers. Sheehan-Dean, A. (Eds.), A Companion to the U.S. Civil War, 2 Volume Set. (pp. 114-131). Wiley-blackwell.
- Lorien Foote, .. (2004). Choate, Rufus. Hall, K. L. (Eds.), The Oxford Companion to American Law. (pp. 97-98). Oxford University Press.
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Wendt, John C (2018-05). Marauders, Mud, and Money: The Misapplication, Development, and Exploitation of Logistics During the Second Seminole War, 1835-1839. (Master's Thesis)
- Makowicki, Shane D (2016-05). \"The Prestige of Success\": The North Carolina Campaign of 1862 and the Ascension of Ambrose Burnside. (Master's Thesis)
- Askew, Mark C (2015-05). Occupation by \"induction\": The American Army of Occupation in Cuba, December 1898-December 1899. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; History; 4236 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4236