My research interests fall within the broader area of Weed Science and Agronomy, with particular emphasis on weed ecology and management. The threat of herbicide resistance is immense in broad-acre systems, leading to loss of effective herbicide options, increased herbicide use and unintended impacts on the broader environment. To this effect, the prime goal of my research program is to understand the evolutionary biology and dynamics of herbicide resistance in weed communities and develop integrated pest management (IPM) solutions encompassing chemical and non-chemical tactics to prevent/effectively manage herbicide resistance. I particularly use simulation modeling tools to answer some of the fundamental research questions surrounding herbicide resistance evolution and guide management decision-making. My research takes an inter-disciplinary approach in addressing knowledge gaps (problem-centric rather than discipline-centric) by integrating tools and knowledge from a wide range of disciplines. I actively collaborate with eminent research groups within and outside the United States.
- Zhuang, J., Li, X., Bagavathiannan, M., Jin, X., Yang, J., Meng, W., ... Yu, J. (2021). Evaluation of different deep convolutional neural networks for detection of broadleaf weed seedlings in wheat. Pest Management Science.
- Maity, A., Singh, V., Jessup, R., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2021). Front Cover Image, Volume 77, Issue 6. Pest Management Science. 77(6),
- Hu, C., Sapkota, B. B., Thomasson, J. A., & Bagavathiannan, M. V. (2021). Influence of Image Quality and Light Consistency on the Performance of Convolutional Neural Networks for Weed Mapping. Remote Sensing. 13(11), 2140-2140.
- Liu, R., Singh, V., Abugho, S., Lin, H., Zhou, X., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2021). Morpho-Physiological Diversity and Its Association with Herbicide Resistance in Echinochloa Ecotypes. Weed Science. 1-29.
- Norsworthy, J. K., Varanasi, V. K., Bagavathiannan, M., & Brabham, C. (2021). Recurrent Selection with Sub-Lethal Doses of Mesotrione Reduces Sensitivity in Amaranthus palmeri. Plants. 10(7), 1293-1293.
- Bagavathiannan, M., Singh, V., Govindasamy, P., Abugho, S. B., & Liu, R. (2017). Impact of Concurrent Weed or Herbicide Stress with Other Biotic and Abiotic Stressors on Crop Production. Plant Tolerance to Individual and Concurrent Stresses. 33-45. Springer India.
- Singh, V., Zhou, S., Ganie, Z., Valverde, B., Avila, L., Marchesan, E., ... Bagavathiannan, M. (2017). Rice Production in the Americas. Chauhan, B. S., Jabran, K., & Mahajan, G. (Eds.), Rice Production Worldwide. 137-168. Springer International Publishing.
- Jhala, A. J., Sarangi, D., Chahal, P., Saxena, A., Bagavathiannan, M., Chauhan, B. S., & Jha, P. (2017). Inter-specific gene flow from herbicide-tolerant crops to their wild relatives. Biology, Physiology and Molecular Biology of Weeds. 87-122. CRC Press.
- Rajan, N., Shafian, S., Cope, D., Bagavathiannan, M., Malambo, L., Popescu, S., & Rooney, B. (2017). Field research applications of UAS.
- Murray, S. C., Knox, L., Hartley, B., Méndez-Dorado, M. A., Richardson, G., Thomasson, J. A., ... Rooney, W. L. (2016). High clearance phenotyping systems for season-long measurement of corn, sorghum and other row crops to complement unmanned aerial vehicle systems. VISUALIZING AND QUANTIFYING DRUG DISTRIBUTION IN TISSUE III. 9866, 986607-986607-8.
- Venezuela - Information Intelligence for Farm Managers awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2018 - 2018
- Liu, Rui (2018-12). Survey, Ecology and Management of Problematic Weeds in Rice Production in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Werner, Kaisa Marie (2018-08). Management Considerations for Late-Season Escapes of Palmer Amaranth and Common Waterhemp in Texas Cotton. (Master's Thesis)