My research interests fall within the broader area of Weed Science and Agronomy, with particular emphasis on weed ecology and management. The threat of herbicide resistance is immense in broad-acre systems, leading to loss of effective herbicide options, increased herbicide use and unintended impacts on the broader environment. To this effect, the prime goal of my research program is to understand the evolutionary biology and dynamics of herbicide resistance in weed communities and develop integrated pest management (IPM) solutions encompassing chemical and non-chemical tactics to prevent/effectively manage herbicide resistance. I particularly use simulation modeling tools to answer some of the fundamental research questions surrounding herbicide resistance evolution and guide management decision-making. My research takes an inter-disciplinary approach in addressing knowledge gaps (problem-centric rather than discipline-centric) by integrating tools and knowledge from a wide range of disciplines. I actively collaborate with eminent research groups within and outside the United States.
- Singh, V., Garetson, R., McGinty, J., Dotray, P., Morgan, G., Nolte, S., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2020). Distribution of herbicide-resistant waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) across row crop production systems in Texas. WEED TECHNOLOGY. 34(1), 129-139.
- Singh, V., Etheredge, L., McGinty, J., Morgan, G., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2020). First Case of Glyphosate Resistance in Weedy Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Confirmed in Texas.. Pest management science.
- Hodnett, G. L., Ohadi, S., Pugh, N. A., Bagavathiannan, M. V., & Rooney, W. L. (2019). Sorghum bicolor x S. halepense interspecific hybridization is influenced by the frequency of 2n gametes in S. bicolor. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 17901.
- Singh, V., Masabni, J., Baumann, P., Isakeit, T., Matocha, M., Provin, T., ... Bagavathiannan, M. (2019). Activated charcoal reduces pasture herbicide injury in vegetable crops. CROP PROTECTION. 117, 1-6.
- Bagavathiannan, M. V., Graham, S., Ma, Z., Barney, J. N., Coutts, S. R., Caicedo, A. L., ... Beckie, H. (2019). Considering weed management as a social dilemma bridges individual and collective interests.. Nat Plants. 5(4), 343-351.
- Bagavathiannan, M., Singh, V., Govindasamy, P., Abugho, S. B., & Liu, R. (2017). Impact of concurrent weed or herbicide stress with other biotic and abiotic stressors on crop production. Plant Tolerance to Individual and Concurrent Stresses. (pp. 33-45).
- Jhala, A. J., Sarangi, D., Chahal, P., Saxena, A., Bagavathiannan, M., Chauhan, B. S., & Jha, P. (2017). Inter-specific gene flow from herbicide-tolerant crops to their wild relatives. Biology, Physiology and Molecular Biology of Weeds. (pp. 87-122).
- Singh, V., Zhou, S., Ganie, Z., Valverde, B., Avila, L., Marchesan, E., ... Bagavathiannan, M. (2017). Rice Production in the Americas. Chauhan, B. S., Jabran, K., & Mahajan, G. (Eds.), Rice Production Worldwide. (pp. 137-168). Springer International Publishing.
- Rajan, N., Shafian, S., Cope, D., Bagavathiannan, M., Malambo, L., Popescu, S., & Rooney, B. (2017). Field research applications of UAS.
- Murray, S. C., Knox, L., Hartley, B., Méndez-Dorado, M. A., Richardson, G., Thomasson, J. A., ... Rooney, W. L. (2016). High clearance phenotyping systems for season-long measurement of corn, sorghum and other row crops to complement unmanned aerial vehicle systems. MATHEMATICAL MODELING AND ESTIMATION TECHNIQUES IN COMPUTER VISION. 9866, 986607-986607-8.
- Liu, Rui (2018-12). Survey, Ecology and Management of Problematic Weeds in Rice Production in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Werner, Kaisa Marie (2018-08). Management Considerations for Late-Season Escapes of Palmer Amaranth and Common Waterhemp in Texas Cotton. (Master's Thesis)
- Garetson, Russ Alan (2017-08). Survey for Herbicide Resistance in Palmer Amaranth and Waterhemp in Texas. (Master's Thesis)