- Associate Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
My research interests involve the pathogenesis of kidney disease and investigation of novel biomarkers in dogs and cats with chronic kidney disease and their relation to conventional measures of renal function. In our lab, we are actively exploring urinary proteins, mRNAs, and miRNAs in dogs with naturally occurring glomerular disease in order to determine their ability to serve as early markers of renal disease, specific markers of certain types of renal disease and disease progression, and targets for novel therapies. Our goal is to improve our understanding of the development and progression of kidney disease and to develop and validate testing methods in order to more effectively diagnosis and monitor renal disease in companion animals and humans.
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Pathology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2010
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University - (Ithaca, New York, United States) 2002
- B.S. in Biochemistry, University of Nebraska–Lincoln - (Lincoln, United States) 1998
- Chu, C. P., Hokamp, J. A., Cianciolo, R. E., Dabney, A. R., Brinkmeyer-Langford, C., Lees, G. E., & Nabity, M. B. (2020). Author Correction: RNA-seq of serial kidney biopsies obtained during progression of chronic kidney disease from dogs with X-linked hereditary nephropathy.. Sci Rep. 10(1), 2381.
- Zou, D., Ganugula, R., Arora, M., Nabity, M. B., Sheikh-Hamad, D., & Kumar, M. (2019). Oral delivery of nanoparticle urolithin A normalizes cellular stress and improves survival in mouse model of cisplatin-induced AKI.. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 317(5), F1255-F1264.
- Clark, S. D., Song, W., Cianciolo, R., Lees, G., Nabity, M., & Liu, S. (2019). Abnormal Expression of miR-21 in Kidney Tissue of Dogs With X-Linked Hereditary Nephropathy: A Canine Model of Chronic Kidney Disease.. Vet Pathol. 56(1), 93-105.
- Nabity, M. B., Polli, J. W., Vaidya, V., Krolewski, A., & Glaab, W. E. (2018). New Frontiers: Approaches to Understand the Mechanistic Basis of Renal Toxicity.. Toxicol Pathol. 46(8), 1002-1005.
- Nabity, M. B. (2018). Traditional Renal Biomarkers and New Approaches to Diagnostics.. Toxicol Pathol. 46(8), 999-1001.
- Clark, S. D., & Nabity, M. B. (2020). Male Reproductive Tract. Cowell and Tyler's Diagnostic Cytology and Hematology of the Dog and Cat. 406-422. Elsevier.
- Nabity, M. B., & Ramaiah, S. K. (2012). Blood and bone marrow toxicity. Veterinary Toxicology. 351-363. Elsevier.
- Nabity, M. B., & Ramaiah, S. K. (2012). Chapter 22 Blood and bone marrow toxicity. Veterinary Toxicology. 351-363. Elsevier.
- Nabity, M. B. (2011). Urine Protein and Microalbuminuria. Nephrology and Urology of Small Animals. 58-61. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd..
- Ramaiah, S. K., & Nabity, M. B. (2007). Blood and bone marrow toxicity. Veterinary Toxicology. 277-288. Elsevier.