Comparative functional genomics and genome evolution in vertebrates; structural organization of genetic material and its relationship to patterns of gene regulation and expression within and among species. Epigenetics of meiotic recombination; patterns and epigenetic determinants of sexual dimorphism in meiotic recombination rates and chromosomal distributions. Population genomics: genetic and ecological processes that influence the distribution of genetic diversity within and among populations in nature; population structure, isolation, and speciation. QTL mapping: linkage mapping to detect genes that influence physiologic and health-related traits. Research in my laboratory focuses primarily on the genome of the gray, short-tailed opossum, Monodelphis domestica, the world's primary laboratory marsupial model for genomic, biomedical, and evolutionary research. We also study isolated desert populations of pupfishes of the genus Cyprinodon in west Texas.nature, and their roles in promoting population structuring, isolation, and speciation. QTL mapping: linkage mapping to detect genes that influence physiologic and health-related traits. Research in my laboratory focuses primarily on the genome of the gray, short-tailed opossum, Monodelphis domestica, the world's primary laboratory marsupial model for genomic, biomedical, and evolutionary research. We also study isolated desert populations of pupfishes of the genus Cyprinodon in west Texas.
- Sprague, D., Waters, S. A., Kirk, J. M., Wang, J. R., Samollow, P. B., Waters, P. D., & Calabrese, J. M. (2019). Nonlinear sequence similarity between the Xist and Rsx long noncoding RNAs suggests shared functions of tandem repeat domains.. RNA. 25(8), 1004-1019.
- Hillman, P. R., Christian, S., Doan, R., Cohen, N. D., Konganti, K., Douglas, K., ... Dindot, S. V. (2017). Genomic imprinting does not reduce the dosage of UBE3A in neurons. Epigenetics & Chromatin. 10(1), 27.
- Black, A. N., Seears, H. A., Hollenbeck, C. M., & Samollow, P. B. (2017). Rapid genetic and morphologic divergence between captive and wild populations of the endangered Leon Springs pupfish, Cyprinodon bovinus. MOLECULAR ECOLOGY. 26(8), 2237-2256.
- Hollenbeck, C. M., Portnoy, D. S., Wetzel, D., Sherwood, T. A., Samollow, P. B., & Gold, J. R. (2017). Linkage Mapping and Comparative Genomics of Red Drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) Using Next-Generation Sequencing. G3 (Bethesda, Md.). 7(3), 843-850.
- Schroeder, D. I., Jayashankar, K., Douglas, K. C., Thirkill, T. L., York, D., Dickinson, P. J., ... LaSalle, J. M. (2015). Early Developmental and Evolutionary Origins of Gene Body DNA Methylation Patterns in Mammalian Placentas. PLOS Genetics. 11(8), e1005442-e1005442.
- Shen, Z., Lin, M., Mannion, A., Esmail, M. Y., Bakthavatchalu, V., Yang, S., ... Fox, J. G. (2017). Novel Helicobacter sp isolated from grey short-tailed opossums (Monodelphis domestica). HELICOBACTER. 22,
- Hoppe, R., Lambert, T., Samollow, P., Breer, H., & Strotmann, J. (2006). Evolution of the "OR37'' subfamily of olfactory receptors: A cross-species comparison. Chemical Senses. 31(8), E65-E65.
- Samollow, P. B. (2006). Status and applications of genomic resources for the gray, short-tailed opossum, Monodelphis domestica, an American marsupial model for comparative biology. Australian Journal of Zoology. 54(3), 173-196.
- Atwood, L. D., Samollow, P. B., Hixson, J. E., Stern, M. P., & MacCluer, J. W. (2001). Genome-Wide Linkage Analysis of Pulse Pressure in Mexican Americans. HYPERTENSION. 37(2), 425-428.
- MacCluer, J. W., Stern, M. P., Almasy, L., Atwood, L. A., Blangero, J., Comuzzie, A. G., ... Williams, J. T. (1999). Genetics of Atherosclerosis Risk Factors in Mexican Americans. Nutrition Reviews. 57(5), 59-65.