Dr. Conover is interested in the cellular processes that govern cytoskeletal crosstalk in myocytes and the subversion of the endocytic pathway during intracellular bacterial infection. She showed that nebulette and nebulin sarcomere proteins functionally integrate desmin intermediate filaments to the actin cytoskeleton. During her PhD studies, using genetics and screen she discovered LidA, a Legionella pneumophila effector exported into macrophages through bacterial Icm/Dot Type IV secretion system. As a research scientist, she lead an interdisciplinary team to develop a live-cell multi day microfluidics platform to study the temporal response to stress of persistent Mycobacteria. Currently, she is interested in the vertical integration of the basic science medical curriculum and interprofessional research practices into medical curriculum to advance the next generation of medical treatments.
- University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2008
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts Medical Center - (Boston, Massachusetts, United States) 2003
- B.A. in Biological Sciences, Wellesley College - (Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States) 1996
- Favre, B., Begré, N., Bouameur, J., Lingasamy, P., Conover, G. M., Fontao, L., & Borradori, L. (2018). Desmoplakin interacts with the coil 1 of different types of intermediate filament proteins and displays high affinity for assembled intermediate filaments. PLoS ONE. 13(10), e0205038-e0205038.
- Patrick, J. W., Boone, C. D., Liu, W., Conover, G. M., Liu, Y., Cong, X., & Laganowsky, A. (2018). Allostery revealed within lipid binding events to membrane proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 115(12), 201719813-2981.
- Sharma, S., Conover, G. M., Elliott, J. L., Der Perng, M., Herrmann, H., & Quinlan, R. A. (2017). αB-crystallin is a sensor for assembly intermediates and for the subunit topology of desmin intermediate filaments. Cell Stress and Chaperones. 22(4), 613-626.
- Hernandez, D. A., Bennett, C. M., Dunina-Barkovskaya, L., Wedig, T., Capetanaki, Y., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M. (2016). Nebulette is a powerful cytolinker organizing desmin and actin in mouse hearts.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 27(24), 3869-3882.
- Baker, L. K., Gillis, D. C., Sharma, S., Ambrus, A., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M. (2013). Nebulin binding impedes mutant desmin filament assembly. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 24(12), 1918-1932.
- Zlomie, T., Conover, G. M., & Laganowsky, A. (2018). Expressing & engineering eukaryotic lipid channels in Escherichia coli. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 255,
- Caragea, M. A., Hernandez, D. A., Kirmse, R., Hermann, H., & Conover, G. M. (2017). Influence of nebulin on the assembly mechanics of desmin intermediate filaments. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 8120-8120.
- Hernandez, D. A., Caragea, M. A., Hord, J. M., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M. (2012). Assembly perturbations in mutant desmin filaments bound to nebulin in desminopathy.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Caragea, M. A., Hernandez, D. A., Dunina-Barkovskaya, L. V., Mucke, N., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M. (2012). Role of the pre-coil domain of desmin and its partnership with muscle proteins.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Wilcox, C. M., Gillis, D. C., & Conover, G. M. (2011). Desmin exhibits versatile strategies to connect with sarcomere thin filaments. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 22,