Dr. Conover is interested in the cellular processes that govern cytoskeletal crosstalk in myocytes and the subversion of the endocytic pathway during intracellular bacterial infection. She showed that nebulette and nebulin sarcomere proteins functionally integrate desmin intermediate filaments to the actin cytoskeleton. During her PhD studies, using genetics and screen she discovered LidA, a Legionella pneumophila effector exported into macrophages through bacterial Icm/Dot Type IV secretion system. As a research scientist, she lead an interdisciplinary team to develop a live-cell multi day microfluidics platform to study the temporal response to stress of persistent Mycobacteria. Currently, she is interested in the vertical integration of the basic science medical curriculum and interprofessional research practices into medical curriculum to advance the next generation of medical treatments.
- University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2008
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts Medical Center - (Boston, Massachusetts, United States) 2003
- B.A. in Biological Sciences, Wellesley College - (Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States) 1996
- Maxwell, S. A., Fuchs-Young, R., Wells, G. B., Kapler, G. M., Conover, G. M., Green, S., ... Huston, D. P. (2022). Guiding Preclinical Medical Students in Finding, Synthesizing, and Communicating Translational Basic Research Literature: Roles for Basic Science Research Mentors.. Acad Med. 97(5), 684-688.
- Wang, H., Conover, G. M., Han, S., Sacchettini, J. C., & Han, A. (2021). Development of single-cell-level microfluidic technology for long-term growth visualization of living cultures of Mycobacterium smegmatis.. Microsyst Nanoeng. 7(1), 37.
- Patrick, J. W., Boone, C. D., Liu, W., Conover, G. M., Liu, Y., Cong, X., & Laganowsky, A. (2018). Allostery revealed within lipid binding events to membrane proteins.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 115(12), 2976-2981.
- Favre, B., Begr, N., Bouameur, J., Lingasamy, P., Conover, G. M., Fontao, L., & Borradori, L. (2018). Desmoplakin interacts with the coil 1 of different types of intermediate filament proteins and displays high affinity for assembled intermediate filaments.. PLoS One. 13(10), e0205038-e0205038.
- Sharma, S., Conover, G. M., Elliott, J. L., Der Perng, M., Herrmann, H., & Quinlan, R. A. (2017). B-crystallin is a sensor for assembly intermediates and for the subunit topology of desmin intermediate filaments.. Cell Stress Chaperones. (4), 613-626.
- Zlomie, T., Conover, G. M., & Laganowsky, A (2018). Expressing & engineering eukaryotic lipid channels in Escherichia coli. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 255,
- Caragea, M. A., Hernandez, D. A., Kirmse, R., Hermann, H., & Conover, G. M (2017). Influence of nebulin on the assembly mechanics of desmin intermediate filaments. Molecular Biology of the Cell, American Society for Cell Biology -- EMBO. 8120-8120.
- Hernandez, D. A., Caragea, M. A., Hord, J. M., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M (2012). Assembly perturbations in mutant desmin filaments bound to nebulin in desminopathy.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Caragea, M. A., Hernandez, D. A., Dunina-Barkovskaya, L. V., Mucke, N., Herrmann, H., & Conover, G. M (2012). Role of the pre-coil domain of desmin and its partnership with muscle proteins.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Wilcox, C. M., Gillis, D. C., & Conover, G. M (2011). Desmin exhibits versatile strategies to connect with sarcomere thin filaments. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 22,