Stronza, Amanda individual record
Dr. Amanda Stronza is an environmental anthropologist and professional photographer with 30 years of research and conservation work in the Amazon, southern Africa, and other parts of the tropics. She is a Professor in the Departments of Ecology and Conservation Biology, and Rangeland, Wildlife, and Fisheries Management, and she co-directs the Applied Biodiversity Science Program at Texas A&M University. She co-founded Ecoexist, a non-profit organization in Botswana, aimed at fostering coexistence between people and elephants. Her long-term work in the Amazon has focused on community-based conservation, understanding and documenting local incentives for stewarding wildlife and forests.
education and training
- Petriello, M. A., & Stronza, A. L. (2021). Hunting as a Source of Local and Traditional Ecological Knowledge among Campesinos in Nicaragua. HUMAN ECOLOGY. 49(3), 309-325.
- Petriello, M. A., & Stronza, A. L. (2020). Campesino hunting and conservation in Latin America.. Conserv Biol. 34(2), 338-353.
- Vogel, S. M., Lambert, B., Songhurst, A. C., McCulloch, G. P., Stronza, A. L., & Coulson, T. (2020). Exploring movement decisions: Can Bayesian movement-state models explain crop consumption behaviour in elephants (Loxodonta africana)?. J Anim Ecol. 89(4), 1055-1068.
- Redmore, L., Stronza, A. L., Songhurst, A., & McCulloch, G. (2020). Where elephants roam: perceived risk, vulnerability, and adaptation in the Okavango Delta. ECOLOGY AND SOCIETY. 25(4),
- Buchholtz, E. K., Fitzgerald, L. A., Songhurst, A., McCulloch, G. P., & Stronza, A. L. (2020). Experts and elephants: local ecological knowledge predicts landscape use for a species involved in human-wildlife conflict. ECOLOGY AND SOCIETY. 25(4),
- Stronza, A., & Durham, W. H. (2008). Ecotourism and conservation in the Americas. CABI.
- Stronza, A., & Durham, W. H. (2008). Preface.
- Stronza, A. L., Hunt, C. A., & Fitzgerald, L. A. (2021). Ecotourism for conservation?. Routledge Handbook of Ecotourism. 372-397. Taylor & Francis.
- Stronza, A. L., Hunt, C. A., & Fitzgerald, L. A. (2019). Ecotourism for Conservation?. ANNUAL REVIEW OF ENVIRONMENT AND RESOURCES, VOL 44. 229-253. Annual Reviews.
- Stronza, A. L. (2016). Anthropology Applied: Global ecotourism and local indigenous culture in Bolivia. Haviland, W. A., Prins, H., McBride, B., & Walrath, D. (Eds.), Cultural Anthropology: The Human Challenge. 188-188. Cengage Learning.
- Mbaiwa, J. E., & Stronza, A. L. (2009). The Challenges and Prospects for Sustainable Tourism and Ecotourism in Developing Countries. The SAGE Handbook of Tourism Studies. 334-354. SAGE Publications.
- Mbaiwa, J. E., & Stronza, A. L. (2009). The Challenges and Prospects for Sustainable Tourism and Ecotourism in Developing Countries. The SAGE Handbook of Tourism Studies. 334-354. SAGE Publications Ltd.
- de Vasconcellos Pegas, F., & Stronza, A. (2010). Ecotourism and sea turtle harvesting in a fishing village of Bahia, Brazil. Conservation and Society. 8(1), 15-25.
recent teaching activities
- ECCB460 Nature Values Prot Areas Instructor
- ECCB484 Internship Instructor
- ECCB485 Directed Studies Instructor
- ECCB658 Human Wildlife Conf & Coexist Instructor
- ECCB691 Research Instructor
Texas A&M University; Ecology and Conservation Biology; WFES 232
College Station, TX 77843