Hormones secreted by the thyroid gland are of primary importance in the regulation of such fundamental physiological processes as growth, nutrient utilization, and reproduction. In my laboratory we examine the regulation of the secretion of thyroid hormones and their actions in poikilothermic vertebrates in order to understand the evolution of thyroid function. We are presently focusing on the regulation on thyroid hormone secretion and the mechanisms of iodine transport in commercially-important fish species such as the red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus), the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus), and even the zebrafish (Danio rerio).
This research is aimed at providing new insights into the potentially ancient role of thyroid hormones in nutrient assimilation, as well as elucidating evolutionary trends in the regulation of thyroid function. These studies may serve identify ways in which the pituitary-thyroid axis may be manipulated to enhance aquaculture production or endangered species conservation.
- University of Alberta - (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), Postdoctoral Training 1983
- Ph.D. in Zoology, University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Zoology, University of California, Davis - (Davis, California, United States) 1975
- Jones, R. A., Cohn, W. B., Wilkes, A. A., & MacKenzie, D. S. (2017). Negative feedback regulation of thyrotropin subunits and pituitary deiodinases in red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. General and comparative endocrinology. 240, 19-26.
- Garner, J. A., MacKenzie, D. S., & Gatlin, D. (2017). Reproductive Biology of Atlantic Leatherback Sea Turtles at Sandy Point, St. Croix: The First 30 Years. CHELONIAN CONSERVATION AND BIOLOGY. 16(1), 29-43.
- Martinez, B., Soñanez-Organis, J. G., Viscarra, J. A., Jaques, J. T., MacKenzie, D. S., Crocker, D. E., & Ortiz, R. M. (2016). Glucose delays the insulin-induced increase in thyroid hormone-mediated signaling in adipose of prolong-fasted elephant seal pups.. AJP Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 310(6), r502-r512.
- Pasupuleti, S., Sule, N., Cohn, W. B., MacKenzie, D. S., Jayaraman, A., & Manson, M. D. (2014). Chemotaxis of Escherichia coli to Norepinephrine (NE) Requires Conversion of NE to 3,4-Dihydroxymandelic Acid. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 196(23), 3992-4000.
- Jones, R. A., Cohn, W. B., Miller, T. C., Jaques, J. T., & MacKenzie, D. S. (2013). Cyclic mRNA expression of thyrotropin subunits and deiodinases in red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. General and comparative endocrinology. 194, 248-256.
- Holloway, N. D., Mackenzie, D. S., & Riley, B. B. (2020). Evidence for expression of the sodium iodide symporter (NIS) in novel neural and ovarian locations in teleost fish. Integr Comp Biol. 60, E104-E104.
- Wilkes, A. A., Browning, Z., Lenox, M., Jaques, J., & Mackenzie, D. S. (2014). High Resolution Functional Imaging of Fish Endocrine Glands and Target Tissues Using Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography. Integr Comp Biol. 54, E369-E369.
- Jones, R. A., Cohn, W. B., & Mackenzie, D. S. (2014). Regulation of Thyrotropin mRNA Expression in Red Drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. Integr Comp Biol. 54, E103-E103.
- Scobell, S. K., Mackenzie, D. S., Jaques, J. T., & Jones, A. G. (2012). Androgens and female intrasexual aggression in the sex-role reversed Gulf pipefish. Integr Comp Biol. 52, E156-E156.
- Raine, J. C., Cameron, C., Vijayan, M. M., Mackenzie, D. S., & Leatherland, J. F. (2006). A comparison of thyroid hormone receptor gene expression in food-deprived late-stage embryo and juvenile rainbow trout. JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL ZOOLOGY PART A-COMPARATIVE EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY. 305A(2), 169-169.
- Romney, Sherdina Ericia (2017-05). A Species' Trait Based Approach to Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment in North Sea Fisheries Species. (Master's Thesis)
- Jones, Richard Alan (2012-08). Regulation of Thyrotropin mRNA Expression in Red Drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Garner, Jeanne (2012-05). Reproductive Endocrinology of Nesting Leatherback Sea Turtles in St. (Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Miller, Thomas Charles (2011-05). Biological Activity of Thyrotropin in Two Teleost Fish, Red Drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) and Goldfish (Carassius auratus). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Thronson, Amanda Mae (2008-12). Effect of variation in freshwater inflow on phytoplankton productivity and community composition in galveston bay, texas. (Master's Thesis)