Dr. Herring has teaching and research responsibilities within the department. He teaches undergraduate and graduate level classes in beef cattle production and management (ANSC 406 and 605). His research interests focus on areas to increase production efficiency for cow-calf producers through coordination of breeding systems, environmental resources and marketing strategies. He has researched genetic and environmental influences on milk production in beef cows, breed differences for feedlot and carcass characteristics, and genetic influences on beef cow reproduction and productivity, cattle temperament and immune responses. He also remains active in state and national beef cattle industry groups.
- M.S. in Animal Breeding, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States)
- B.S. in Animal Science, Tarleton State University - (Stephenville, Texas, United States)
- Ph.D. in Genetics, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States)
- Park, R. M., Schubach, K. M., Cooke, R. F., Herring, A. D., Jennings, J. S., & Daigle, C. L. (2020). Impact of a cattle brush on feedlot steer behavior, productivity and stress physiology. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 228, 104995-104995.
- Riley, D. G., Thorne, J. W., Redden, R. R., Herring, A. D., & Waldron, D. F. (2020). Comparative performance of Dorper and Rambouillet ewes on West Texas range. Small Ruminant Research. 185, 106065-106065.
- Riley, D. G., Mantilla-Rojas, C., Miller, R. K., Nicholson, K. L., Gill, C. A., Herring, A. D., ... Sanders, J. O. (2020). Genome association of carcass and palatability traits from Bos indicus-Bos taurus crossbred steers within electrical stimulation status and correspondence with steer temperament 3. Aroma and flavor attributes of cooked steaks. Livestock Science. 233, 103943-103943.
- Burns, B. M., Hiendleder, S., Laing, A. R., Fordyce, G., & Herring, A. D. (2018). Ultrasonographic measurements in first trimester concepti identify predictors of birth weight and postnatal development in cattle.. J Anim Sci. 96(10), 4186-4194.
- Muntean, C. T., Herring, A. D., Riley, D. G., Gill, C. A., Sawyer, J. E., & Sanders, J. O. (2018). Evaluation of F1 cows sired by Brahman, Boran, and Tuli bulls for reproductive, maternal, and cow longevity traits.. J Anim Sci. 96(7), 2545-2552.
- Liberona, J., Langdon, J. M., Riley, D. G., Blackburn, H. D., Speidel, S. E., Krehbiel, B. C., Sanders, S., & Herring, A. D. (2018). 4 Heritability Estimations for Intramuscular Fat in Hereford Cattle Using Random Regressions.. Journal of Animal Science. 96(suppl_1), 2-3.
- Langdon, J., Delgadillo, J. S., Herring, A. D., Blackburn, H. D., Speidel, S. E., Sanders, S., Krehbiel, B. C., & Riley, D. G. (2018). Comparison of Linear Mixed Model and Random Regression Model for Weaning Weight in Hereford Cattle over a United States Longitudinal Gradient.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96, 1-1.
- Delgadillo, J. S., Riley, D. G., Langdon, J. M., Hanna, L., & Herring, A. D. (2017). 178 Black Hereford genetic parameters and predictions for calf traits with alternate modelling strategies. Journal of Animal Science. 95(suppl_4), 88-88.
- Smith, P. S., Carstens, G. E., Runyan, C. A., Ridpath, J. F., Sawyer, J. E., & Herring, A. D. (2017). Effects of vaccine treatment and temperament classification on intake and feeding behavior responses to bovine viral diarrhea virus challenge in beef steers.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95, 42-42.
- Brown, E. G., Carstens, G. E., Fox, J. T., Woods, S. A., Dean, D. T., Herring, A. D., Moore, S., & Genho, R. C. (2017). Relationships between feed efficiency and real-time ultrasound traits in growing and finishing steers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 83, 325-325.
- Garrett, Kelly Nicole (2018-05). Hedonic Pricing Models to Estimate Traits Valuable to Beefmaster Bull Buyers. (Master's Thesis)
- Smith, Paul Stephen (2017-12). Effects of Multi-valent Vaccine Treatment and Temperament on Feed Intake, Performance, and Feeding Behavior Responses to BVD Viral Challenge in Beef Steers. (Master's Thesis)
- Siller, Amy Elizabeth (2017-08). Initial Assessment of Calf Performance and Cow Reproductive Traits in a Dominican Republic Beef Herd. (Master's Thesis)
- Olson, Cameron Alexander (2017-08). The Effect of Temperament at Feedlot Arrival on Growth Efficiency, Feeding Behavior, and Carcass Value in Beef Heifers. (Master's Thesis)
- Sarlo, Kaitlyn Mary (2016-08). Reciprocal Differences in F2 and F3 Nellore-Angus Halfblood Steers for Growth and Health Traits. (Master's Thesis)