- Assistant Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Dr. Galloway-Pena's studies incorporate the genetic basis of pathogenesis as well as the molecular epidemiology of clinically relevant gram-positive pathogens, focusing on those with multi-drug resistance. She has more recently shifted her focus to microbiome dynamics during cancer treatment and the intense antibiotic therapy seen in the hematological malignancy setting to determine the microbiome's impact on cancer treatment outcomes, toxicities, and colonization/infection by antibiotic resistant organisms. Applications of her research include determining genetic and chemical markers for microbial diversity that can be used in the clinical setting, designing predictive risk models for antibiotic resistant infectious risk during chemotherapy, and promoting antimicrobial stewardship and microbial conscious treatment.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2013
- B.A. in Biology, Cum Laude, Our Lady of the Lake University - (San Antonio, Texas, United States) 2006
- Aitken, S. L., Sahasrabhojane, P. V., Kontoyiannis, D. P., Savidge, T. C., Arias, C. A., Ajami, N. J., Shelburne, S. A., & Galloway-Peña, J. R. (2020). Alterations of the oral microbiome and cumulative carbapenem exposure are associated with Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infection in patients with acute myeloid leukemia receiving chemotherapy.. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES.
- Galloway-Peña, J. R., Shi, Y., Peterson, C. B., Sahasrabhojane, P., Gopalakrishnan, V., Brumlow, C. E., ... Shelburne, S. A. (2020). Gut Microbiome Signatures Are Predictive of Infectious Risk Following Induction Therapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 71(1), 63-71.
- Robinson, S., Peterson, C. B., Sahasrabhojane, P., Ajami, N. J., Shelburne, S. A., Kontoyiannis, D. P., & Galloway-Peña, J. R. (2020). Observational Cohort Study of Oral Mycobiome and Interkingdom Interactions over the Course of Induction Therapy for Leukemia.. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. 5(2),
- Galloway-Peña, J. R., & Kontoyiannis, D. P. (2020). The gut mycobiome: The overlooked constituent of clinical outcomes and treatment complications in patients with cancer and other immunosuppressive conditions. PLoS pathogens. 16(4), e1008353-e1008353.
- Galloway-Peña, J., & Hanson, B. (2020). Tools for Analysis of the Microbiome. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 65(3), 674-685.