It has been long recognized that glycans play a wide spectrum of essential roles in metazoan organisms, while defects in glycosylation are involved in numerous human diseases and abnormalities, from cancer to brain malformation and defects of immune system. However, the complexity of glycosylation pathways and limitations of genetic and in vivo approaches available for studying glycosylation in higher animals significantly impede the research in mammals. We are using the advantages of Drosophila model system, including its decreased genetic redundancy, powerful arsenal of molecular genetic approaches, and comprehensively characterized development, to elucidate mechanisms underlying the function of glycosylation in development and physiology. We employ a multidisciplinary approach to study the roles of several novel glycosyltransferase genes at molecular, cellular, and organismal levels. Currently, our laboratory is involved in two main projects: one project focuses on studying the function of sialylation in the central nervous system, while another project is aimed at elucidation of molecular mechanisms of protein O-mannosylation.
- Chandel, I., Ten Hagen, K. G., & Panin, V. (2019). Sweet rescue or surrender of the failing heart?. J Biol Chem. 294(34), 12579-12580.
- Chandel, I., Baker, R., Nakamura, N., & Panin, V. (2019). Live Imaging and Analysis of Muscle Contractions in Drosophila Embryo.. J Vis Exp. 2019(149),
- Baker, R., Nakamura, N., Chandel, I., Howell, B., Lyalin, D., & Panin, V. M. (2018). Protein O-Mannosyltransferases Affect Sensory Axon Wiring and Dynamic Chirality of Body Posture in the Drosophila Embryo.. J Neurosci. 38(7), 1850-1865.
- Akishina, A. A., Vorontsova, J. E., Cherezov, R. O., Mertsalov, I. B., Zatsepina, O. G., Slezinger, M. S., ... Kuzin, B. A. (2017). Xenobiotic-induced activation of human aryl hydrocarbon receptor target genes in Drosophila is mediated by the epigenetic chromatin modifiers.. Oncotarget. 8(61), 102934-102947.
- Mertsalov, I. B., Novikov, B. N., Scott, H., Dangott, L., & Panin, V. M. (2016). Characterization of Drosophila CMP-sialic acid synthetase activity reveals unusual enzymatic properties.. Biochem J. 473(13), 1905-1916.
- Howell, B. A., & Panin, V. M. (2016). Elucidating the role of sialylation in cardiac function using a Drosophila model. GLYCOBIOLOGY. 26(12), 1451-1451.
- Scott, H., Novikov, B., Mertsalov, I., Caster, C., & Panin, V. (2015). Novel Regulatory Mechanisms Controlling Sialylation in Drosophila Nervous System. GLYCOBIOLOGY. 25(11), 1298-1298.
- Panin, V., Baker, R., Leon-Aparicio, D., & Guerrero-Hernandez, A. (2015). Pathogenic mechanisms associated with abnormal protein O-mannosylation: Cell culture and Drosophila models. GLYCOBIOLOGY. 25(11), 1308-1308.
- Meng, Z., Baker, R., Panin, V. M., & Yakovlev, V. V. (2015). Brillouin spectroscopy reveals changes in muscular viscoelasticity in Drosophila POMT mutants. SPIE Proceedings, SPIE BiOS. 9327, 932713-932713-7.
- Baker, R., Nakamura, N., Lyalin, D., Alfert, M., Guerrero-Hernandez, A., & Panin, V. (2014). Developmental roles and pathogenic mechanisms associated with protein O-mannosylation in Drosophila. GLYCOBIOLOGY. 24(11), 1190-1190.
- The Control On Neural Transmission By Glycosylation awarded by National Institutes of Health 2011 - 2018
- Scott, Hilary Anne (2017-08). Regulation of Sialylation in the Drosophila Nervous System. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Baker, Ryan Andrew (2016-12). The Role of Protein O-MannosylTransferase in the Development of Drosophila Torsion Phenotypes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lyalin, Dmitry (2011-08). The Role of O-mannosyl Glycans in Drosophila Development. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Carnahan, Mindy (2011-08). Elucidating the Functions of the Sialylation Pathway in Drosophila melanogaster. (Master's Thesis)
- Repnikova, Elena Aleksandrovna (2009-08). Role of Sialylation in the Nervous System Development of Drosophila melanogaster. (Doctoral Dissertation)