Research interests include new experimental methods capable of producing quality flammability data for the development of predictive models at industrially relevant temperature, pressure, composition and turbulence. Application results in energy and waste reduction, optimized production and a realistic operating safety margin. Application to traditional industrial flammability concerns as well as future applications including hydrogen. Other interests include traditional and modified internal combustion engines with integration of hydrogen and other fuels, safety and performance of standard and blended fuels, for example CNG, diesel, bio-diesel and ethanol.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University - (Houghton, Michigan, United States) 1999
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University - (Houghton, Michigan, United States) 1994
- Prasad, S., Schweizer, C., Bagaria, P., Saini, A., Kulatilaka, W. D., & Mashuga, C. V. (2021). Investigation of particle density on dust cloud dynamics in a minimum ignition energy apparatus using digital in-line holography. Powder Technology. 384, 297-303.
- Yuan, S., Ji, C., Han, H., Sun, Y., & Mashuga, C. V. (2021). A review of aerosol flammability and explosion related incidents, standards, studies, and risk analysis. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 146, 499-514.
- Prasad, S., Schweizer, C., Bagaria, P., Kulatilaka, W. D., & Mashuga, C. V. (2021). Effect of particle morphology on dust cloud dynamics. Powder Technology. 379, 89-95.
- Chaudhari, P., Ade, N., Prez, L. M., Kolis, S., & Mashuga, C. V. (2021). Minimum Ignition Energy (MIE) prediction models for ignition sensitive fuels using machine learning methods. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 69, 104343-104343.
- Schweizer, C., Prasad, S., Saini, A., Mashuga, C. V., & Kulatilaka, W. D. (2020). High-speed digital in-line holography for in-situ dust cloud characterization in a minimum ignition energy device. Powder Technology. 376, 612-621.
- Petersen, E. L., Mathieu, O., Thomas, J. C., Cooper, S. P., Teitge, D. S., Juárez, R., Gutierrez, N., & Mashuga, C. V. (2021). Combustion and Oxidation of Lube Oils at Gas Turbine Conditions: Experimental Methods. ASME Turbo Expo 2021, ASME Turbo Expo 2021: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition.
- Schweizer, C., Wang, Y., Mashuga, C. V., & Kulatilaka, W. D. (2021). Combustible Dust Cloud Characterization Using Multiple Laser Diagnostic Methods. AIAA Scitech 2021 Forum, AIAA Scitech 2021 Forum.
- Yuan, S., Koirala, Y., Mashuga, C. V., Cheng, Z., & Sam Mannan, M. (2017). Aerosol generation approach and aerosol combustion behavior study. Global Congress on Process Safety 2017 - Topical Conference at the 2017 AIChE Spring Meeting and 13th Global Congress on Process Safety. 1, 255-273.
- Zhang, J., Liu, Y., Chen, H., Elledge, H., Mashuga, C. V., & Mannan, M. S. (2015). Combustion and explosion related properties of carbon nanofibers. 49th Annual Loss Prevention Symposium 2015, LPS 2015 - Topical Conference at the 2015 AIChE Spring Meeting and 11th Global Congress on Process Safety. 582-596.
- Castellanos, D., Carreto-Vazquez, V. H., Mashuga, C. V., & Mannan, M. S. (2011). APPLICATION OF FACTORIAL EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN TO DETERMINE THE OPTIMUM TEST PARAMETERS FOR A 36-L DUST EXPLOSION EQUIPMENT. HAZARDS XXII: PROCESS SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION. (156), 640-645.
- Hernandez, Joseph Alexander (2018-05). Social, Safety, and Sustainable Process Selection Approach for On-Purpose Propylene Production. (Master's Thesis)
- Han, Haitian (2017-12). Hybrid Flammable Dust-Gas Cloud Ignition Using a Modified Standard Minimum Ignition Energy Device. (Master's Thesis)
- Cui, Yan (2017-05). Risk Assessment of Pipeline on Third-Party Damage in Oil and Gas Industry with Bayesian Network and Game Theory. (Master's Thesis)
- Zhang, Jiaqi (2016-05). Combustion and Explosion of Carbon Nanofibers. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zeng, Ming (2015-12). Integration of Human Factors in Offshore Blowout Risk Assessment. (Master's Thesis)