Dr. Taylor's primary research interests are in the utilization and mechanisms of food antimicrobials to inhibit bacterial foodborne pathogens. Natural food antimicrobials are diverse in their chemistry, spectrum of activity, sources, and applications within foods. Specifically, research is conducted to investigate and determine the manner by which food antimicrobials inhibit microbial pathogens. Additionally, research is conducted that seeks to overcome obstacles to the use of food antimicrobials in some product by the encapsulation of food antimicrobials. Dr. Taylor regularly interacts with faculty in the Departments of Horticultural Sciences, Nutrition and Food Science, Poultry Science, and even Chemical Engineering in the development and completion of research programming.
- Perez-Lewis, K. L., Yegin, Y., Oh, J. K., Castillo, A., Cisneros-Zevallos, L., Kerth, C. R., Scholar, E., & Taylor, T. M. (2021). Encapsulated Plant-Derived Antimicrobial Reduces Enteric Bacterial Pathogens on Melon Surfaces during Differing Contamination and Sanitization Treatment Scenarios. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. 1(3), 460-470.
- Arcot, Y., Liu, S., Ulugun, B., DeFlorio, W., Bae, M., Salazar, K. S., ... Scholar, E. (2021). Fabrication of Robust Superhydrophobic Coatings onto High-Density Polyethylene Food Contact Surfaces for Enhanced Microbiological Food Safety. ACS Food Science & Technology. 1(7), 1180-1189.
- Liu, S., Ulugun, B., DeFlorio, W., Arcot, Y., Yegin, Y., Salazar, K. S., ... Akbulut, M. (2021). Development of durable and superhydrophobic nanodiamond coating on aluminum surfaces for improved hygiene of food contact surfaces. Journal of Food Engineering. 298, 110487-110487.
- DeFlorio, W., Liu, S., White, A. R., Taylor, T. M., Cisneros‐Zevallos, L., Min, Y., & Scholar, E. (2021). Recent developments in antimicrobial and antifouling coatings to reduce or prevent contamination and cross‐contamination of food contact surfaces by bacteria. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 20(3), 3093-3134.
- Yegin, Y., Perez-Lewis, K. L., Liu, S., Kerth, C. R., Cisneros-Zevallos, L., Castillo, A., Akbulut, M., & Taylor, T. M. (2021). Antimicrobial-Loaded Polymeric Micelles Inhibit Enteric Bacterial Pathogens on Spinach Leaf Surfaces During Multiple Simulated Pathogen Contamination Events. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 5, 646980.
- Taylor, T. M., Ravishankar, S., Bhargava, K., & Juneja, V. K. (2019). Chemical Preservatives and Natural Food Antimicrobials. Food Microbiology. 705-731. ASM Press.
- Brandelli, A., & Taylor, T. M. (2015). 11 Nanostructured and nanoencapsulated natural antimicrobials for use in food products. Handbook of Natural Antimicrobials for Food Safety and Quality. 229-257.
- Taylor, T. M. (2015). Preface. Handbook of Natural Antimicrobials for Food Safety and Quality. xxvii-xxix.
- Brandelli, A., & Taylor, T. M. (2014). Nanostructured and nanoencapsulated natural antimicrobials for use in food products. Handbook of Natural Antimicrobials for Food Safety and Quality. 229-257. Elsevier.
- Davidson, P. M., Taylor, T. M., & Schmidt, S. E. (2012). Chemical Preservatives and Natural Antimicrobial Compounds. Food Microbiology. 765-801. ASM Press.
- Taylor, T. M. (2018). Natural Food Antimicrobials: Recent Trends in Their Use, Limitations, and Opportunities for Their Applications in Food Preservation. GROUP 13 CHEMISTRY: FROM FUNDAMENTALS TO APPLICATIONS. 1287, 25-43.
- Cochran Fellowship Program: Ethiopia – Meat and Poultry Safety awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2018 - 2018
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Dean's Outstanding Achievement Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Interdisciplinary Research Team Excellence: Protecting Food SENSE (Research). 2017
- Belk, Aeriel Danielle (2017-05). Comparison of Salmonella Presence in Bovine Lymph Nodes across Feeding Stages. (Master's Thesis)
- Vuia-Riser, Jennifer (2016-12). Comparison of the Ability of Buffered Peptone Water and Neutralizing Buffered Peptone Water to Overcome Antimicrobial Carryover in Chicken Carcasses and Parts. (Master's Thesis)
- Ruengvisesh, Songsirin (2016-05). Inhibition of Bacterial Foodborne Pathogens on the Surfaces of Fresh Produce Using Plant-Derived Antimicrobial Essential Oils in Surfactant Micelles. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Perez-Lewis, Keila L. (2015-12). Novel Interventions for Reducing Pathogen Attachment and Growth on Fresh Produce. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kirsch, Katie Rose (2015-08). Lactic Acid Bacteria as an Intervention Against Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli in Beef. (Master's Thesis)