My teaching and research interests are primarily in fundamental processes of groundwater hydrology, flow and transport in geological formations, and their applications in water resources management and geological, environmental, and petroleum engineering. I am recently interested in unconventional subsurface flow and transport processes, with the studied media changing from permeable porous and fractured ones to much less permeable ones such as clay and shale, and the studied pore sizes also changing from millimeters to micro-meters or even nano-meters. I am interested in the following research:
1. Flow and solute transport in highly deformable low-permeability porous media
2. Interaction of aquifer with connected and disconnected rivers
3. Vapor flow and transport in the subsurface
4. Non-Darcian flow and its impact on anomalous transport
5. Coupled unsaturated-saturated flow and transport problems
6. Radial dispersion and push-and-pull tests
7. Flow and transport in sloping aquifers
8. Coupled aquifer-conduit-fracture flow and transport
9. Flow and transport in fracture-matrix systems
10. Vadose zone infiltration well
- Ph.D. in Hydrology/Hydrogeology, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1996
- M.S. in Physics, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1993
- B.S. in Physics, University of Science and Technology of China - (Hefei, China) 1989
- Cheng, Y., Zhan, H., Yang, W., Jiang, Q., Wang, Y., & Guo, F. (2021). An ecohydrological perspective of reconstructed vegetation in the semi-arid region in drought seasons. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. 243, 106488-106488.
- Cheng, D., Zhan, H., Li, J., & Cheng, D. (2021). Characteristics of inverted saturated zone under unclogged streams. Journal of Hydrology. 597, 126288-126288.
- Sedghi, M. M., & Zhan, H. (2021). Groundwater flow to a well in a strip-shaped unconfined-fractured aquifer system with a transition zone. Journal of Hydrology. 596, 126087-126087.
- Feng, X., Zeng, J., Zhan, H., Zhang, Y., Qiao, J., & Feng, S. (2021). Influence of Boundary Layer on Oil Migration into Tight Reservoirs. Transport in Porous Media. 137(1), 87-107.
- Shan, H., Zeng, C., Zhao, C., & Zhan, H. (2021). Iron oxides decorated graphene oxide/chitosan composite beads for enhanced Cr(VI) removal from aqueous solution. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 172, 197-209.
- Wang, Q., & Zhan, H. (2015). Chapter 10 Characteristic and Role of Groundwater in the Critical Zone. (pp. 295-318).
- Wang, Q., & Zhan, H. (2015). Characteristic and Role of Groundwater in the Critical Zone. Developments in Earth Surface Processes. (pp. 295-318). Elsevier.
- Chen, K., Zhan, H., Burns, E., Ingebritsen, S. E., & Agrinier, P. (2019). THE INFLUENCE OF EPISODIC SHALLOW MAGMA DEGASSING ON HEAT AND CHEMICAL TRANSPORT IN VOLCANIC HYDROTHERMAL SYSTEMS. Abstracts with programs (Geological Society of America).
- Zhu, Y., Zhan, H., Burns, E., Jin, M., Manga, M., & Ingebritsen, S. E. (2017). UNDERSTANDING TRANSPORT IN DIFFUSION-LIMITED SYSTEMS. Abstracts with programs (Geological Society of America).
- Burns, E., Zhu, Y., Zhan, H., Manga, M., Williams, C., & Ingebritsen, S. E. (2016). WHERE, WHEN, AND HOW MUCH WILL CLIMATE CHANGE AFFECT TEMPERATURES IN GROUNDWATER-FED ECOSYSTEMS?. Abstracts with programs (Geological Society of America).
- Chen, Z., Qian, J., Zhan, H., Chen, L., & Luo, S. (2011). Mobile-immobile model of solute transport through porous and fractured media. IAHS-AISH Publication. 341, 154-+.
- Chen, Z., Qian, J. Z., Zhan, H. B., Chen, L. W., & Luo, S. H. (2009). Mobile-immobile model in solute transport through porous and fracture media. 313-316.
- Islam, Jinia (2015-05). Leakage Rate and Hydraulic Head Change Evaluation through Conduits in Deep Storage Aquifers. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Blumenthal, Benjamin (2014-12). Kinetic and Friction Head Loss Impacts on Horizontal Water Supply and Aquifer Storage and Recovery Wells. (Master's Thesis)
- Liu, Xin (2014-12). Calculation of Steady-State Evaporation for an Arbitrary Matric Potential at Ground Surface. (Master's Thesis)
- Mohamed, Ahmed Mohamed Anwar Sayed (2013-08). Semi-analytical Solution for Multiphase Fluid Flow Applied to CO2 Sequestration in Geologic Porous Media. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cavdar, Sevgi (2013-05). Assessing the Transient Flow Behavior in Falling-head Permeameter Tests. (Master's Thesis)