My research focuses on the expressive culture/folklore with particular emphasis on festival, ritual and narrative as vehicles for the preservation of group cohesion in situations of cultural conflict; the symbolic analysis of martial culture; African-American folk culture; and Chinese culture.
- Ph.D. in Anthropology (Folklore), The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1974
- M.A. in English (Folklore), The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1968
- B.A. in English, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1967
- Guodong, Z., & Green, T. A. (2018). \"I am the greatest boxer\": Articulating group identity through Chinese folk drama. The Journal of American Folklore. 131(521), 250-271.
- Guodong, Z., Green, T. A., & Gutiérrez-García, C. (2016). Rural community, group identity and martial arts: Social foundation of Meihuaquan. Ido Movement for Culture. 16(1), 18-29.
- Chuan-Fei, T., Green, T. A., Guo-Hua, Z., & Qiang, F. (2013). Dragon dance in tu village: Social cohesion and symbolic warfare. Ido Movement for Culture. (1), 1-9.
- Zhang, G., & Green, T. A. (2012). Introducción al boxeo de la flor del ciruelo: historia, cultura y práctica. Revista de Artes Marciales Asiticas. 5(2), 21-21.
- Green, T. A. (2012). Sick hands and sweet moves: Aesthetic dimensions of a vernacular martial art. The Journal of American Folklore. 125(497), 286-303.
- Green, T. A. (2017). Accusations of satanism and racial tensions in the matamoros cult murders. The Satanism Scare. (pp. 237-248). Routledge.
- Green, T. (2012). White men don’t flow: Embodied aesthetics of the fifty-two hand blocks. Fighting Scholars: Habitus and Ethnographies of Martial Arts and Combat Sports. (pp. 125-140).
- (1997). Folklore An Encyclopedia of Beliefs, Customs, Tales, Music, and Art. ABC-CLIO.
- (2001). MARTIAL Arts of the World An Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO.
- (2003). Martial Arts in the Modern World. Praeger.
- (2009). Stories from the American Mosaic: African American Folktales. Greenwood.
- Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Awards, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College-Level Teaching 2009
- Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Awards, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College-Level Teaching 1990
- Pereira Ferreira, Samila (2016-08). Policies of Memory, Politics of Forgetting: A Comparative Study of Social Memory and Cultural Heritage in Brazil and the United States. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mizer, Nicholas J (2015-12). The Greatest Unreality: Tabletop Role-Playing Games and the Experience of Imagined Worlds. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Furth, Brett H (2015-08). Gimme That Real Old Time Religion: Re-embedding White Identities Through Ethnic Neo-Pagan Reconfigurations of European Heritage in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Miracle, Jared Tyler (2014-12). Western Bushido: The American Invention of Asian Martial Arts. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Massengale, Brandie Louise (2014-12). The Performance of Sawney Beane at the Texas Renaissance Festival. (Doctoral Dissertation)