My research focuses on the expressive culture/folklore with particular emphasis on festival, ritual and narrative as vehicles for the preservation of group cohesion in situations of cultural conflict; the symbolic analysis of martial culture; African-American folk culture; and Chinese culture.
- Ph.D. in Anthropology (Folklore), The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1974
- M.A. in English (Folklore), The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1968
- B.A. in English, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1967
- Guodong, Z., & Green, T. A (2018). "I am the greatest boxer": Articulating group identity through Chinese folk drama. Journal of American Folklore. 131(521), 250-271.
- Green, T. A (2012). Sick Hands and Sweet Moves: Aesthetic Dimensions of a Vernacular Martial Art. Journal of American Folklore. 125(497), 286-303.
- Zhang, G., & Green, T. A. (2012). Introduccin al boxeo de la flor del ciruelo: historia, cultura y prctica. Revista de Artes Marciales Asiticas. (2), 21.
- Green. (2010). Peuckert's Handwrterbuch and the Making of Twentieth-century Encyclopedias. Journal of Folklore Research. (1-2), 79.
- Beyerlein, M., Kennedy, F., & Beyerlein, S. (2006). Introduction. Advances in Interdisciplinary Studies of Work Teams. 12(374), xiii-xviii.
- Green, T. A., & Svinth, J. R. (2010). Martial Arts of the World: An Encyclopedia of History and Innovation [2 volumes] An Encyclopedia of History and Innovation. ABC-CLIO.
- Pepicello, W. J., & Green, T. A (1984). The Language of Riddles New Perspectives. The Ohio State University Press.
- Best, J (2017). The Satanism Scare. The Satanism Scare. 237-248. Routledge.
- Green, T. (2012). White men dont flow: Embodied aesthetics of the fifty-two hand blocks. Fighting Scholars: Habitus and Ethnographies of Martial Arts and Combat Sports. 125-140.
- (1997). Folklore An Encyclopedia of Beliefs, Customs, Tales, Music, and Art. ABC-CLIO.
- (2001). MARTIAL Arts of the World An Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO.
- (2003). Martial Arts in the Modern World. Praeger.
- (2009). Stories from the American Mosaic: African American Folktales. Greenwood.
- (2009). Stories from the American Mosaic: Asian American Folktales. Greenwood.
- Pereira Ferreira, Samila (2016-08). Policies of Memory, Politics of Forgetting: A Comparative Study of Social Memory and Cultural Heritage in Brazil and the United States. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mizer, Nicholas J (2015-12). The Greatest Unreality: Tabletop Role-Playing Games and the Experience of Imagined Worlds. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Furth, Brett H (2015-08). Gimme That Real Old Time Religion: Re-embedding White Identities Through Ethnic Neo-Pagan Reconfigurations of European Heritage in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Miracle, Jared Tyler (2014-12). Western Bushido: The American Invention of Asian Martial Arts. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Massengale, Brandie Louise (2014-12). The Performance of Sawney Beane at the Texas Renaissance Festival. (Doctoral Dissertation)