Dr. Pillai's research focuses on bacterial cell-to-cell signaling, the molecular ecology of pathogens in natural and man-made ecosystems and the use of novel technologies to concentrate, detect, and decontaminate pathogens. His research on molecular microbial ecology and cell-cell signaling is targeted at understanding the complex and hitherto poorly understood relationship between microbial communities and human behavior. His research is aimed at understanding the role that the GI tract-associated microbiome has on human behavior.
- Bhatia, S. S., & Pillai, S. D. (2019). A Comparative Analysis of the Metabolomic Response of Electron Beam Inactivated E. coli O26:H11 and Salmonella Typhimurium ATCC 13311. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10, 694.
- Sharma, V. K., Sayes, C. M., Guo, B., Pillai, S., Parsons, J. G., Wang, C., Yan, B., & Ma, X. (2019). Interactions between silver nanoparticles and other metal nanoparticles under environmentally relevant conditions: A review. Science of The Total Environment. 653, 1042-1051.
- Rocha, J. N., Dangott, L. J., Mwangi, W., Alaniz, R. C., Bordin, A. I., Cywes-Bentley, C., ... Cohen, N. D. (2019). PNAG-specific equine IgG1 mediates significantly greater opsonization and killing of Prescottella equi (formerly Rhodococcus equi) than does IgG4/7.. VACCINE. 37(9), 1142-1150.
- Shayanfar, S., Broumand, A., & Pillai, S. D. (2018). Acid stress induces differential accumulation of metabolites in Escherichia coli O26:H11. J Appl Microbiol.
- Bhatia, S. S., Wall, K. R., Kerth, C. R., & Pillai, S. D. (2018). Benchmarking the minimum Electron Beam (eBeam) dose required for the sterilization of space foods. Radiation Physics and Chemistry. 143, 72-78.
- Pillai, S. D., & Shayanfar, S. (2015). Electron Beam Pasteurization and Complementary Food Processing Technologies.
- Beier, R. C., Pillai, S. D., Phillips, T. D., & Ziprin, R. L. (2008). Preharvest and Postharvest Food Safety: Contemporary Issues and Future Directions. Blackwell Publishing.
- Pillai, S. D., & Shayanfar, S. (2015). Aseptic packaging of foods and its combination with electron beam processing. Electron Beam Pasteurization and Complementary Food Processing Technologies. (pp. 83-93).
- Shayanfar, S., & Pillai, S. D. (2015). Future trends in electron beam technology for food processing. Electron Beam Pasteurization and Complementary Food Processing Technologies. (pp. 295-309).
- Pillai, S. D., & Shayanfar, S. (2015). Introduction to electron beam pasteurization in food processing. Electron Beam Pasteurization and Complementary Food Processing Technologies. (pp. 3-9).
- Pillai, S. D., & Rambo, C. H. (2014). Water Quality Assessment: Routine Techniques for Monitoring Bacterial and Viral Contaminants. Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology: Second Edition. (pp. 766-772).
- Pillai, S. D., Bogran, C., & Blackburn, C. (2013). Ionizing irradiation for phytosanitary applications and fresh produce safety. Global Safety of Fresh Produce: A Handbook of Best Practice, Innovative Commercial Solutions and Case Studies. (pp. 221-232).
- Smith, B., Ortega, A., Shayanfar, S., & Pillai, S. D. (2017). Preserving quality of fresh cut watermelon cubes for vending distribution by low-dose electron beam processing. Food Control. 72, 367-371.
- Shayanfar, S., Mena, K. D., & Pillai, S. D. (2017). Quantifying the reduction in potential infection risks from non-O157 Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli in strawberries by low dose electron beam processing. Food Control. 72, 324-327.
- Zembouai, I., Kaci, M., Bruzaud, S., Pillin, I., Audic, J. L., Shayanfar, S., & Pillai, S. D. (2016). Electron beam radiation effects on properties and ecotoxicity of PHBV/PLA blends in presence of organo-modified montmorillonite. POLYMER DEGRADATION AND STABILITY. 132, 117-126.
- Reimers, R. S., Xu, Y., Pillai, S. D., Fitzmorris-Brisolara, K. B., Oleszkiewicz, J. A., & Seidl, G. (2013). Future directions biosolids management of the second decade of the 21st century. 5, 2748-2770.
- Kakani, G., Jesudhasan, P. R., & Pillai, S. D. (2012). Different biocides elicit differential responses in bacteria. 2012 IEEE AEROSPACE CONFERENCE.