Gastel, Barbara individual record
education and training
- Gastel, B. (2021). Choosing a Journal for Submission: Don’t Fall Prey. 17(4), 90-92.
- Ivory, M., Funk, A., Sutherland, S., Goulet, T. L., Kozlov, M., Gamillo, E., Ackerman, D., & Gastel, B. (2021). Summer reading 2021. 372(6546), 1030-1035.
- Gastel, B. (2016). Living up to my mentors. 354(6318), 1494-1494.
- Gastel, B. (2016). Online resources on writing, publishing, and presenting: some top choices for the medical community. 61(3), 96-98.
- Gastel, B. (2015). AuthorAID and Editors: Collaborating to Assist Authors in Developing Countries. 38(3/4), 103-105.
- Gastel, B., & Day, R. A. (2016). How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper. Greenwood.
- Day, R. A., & Gastel, B. (2006). How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper. Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Barbara Gastel, M. D. (2004). Health Writer's Handbook. Wiley-blackwell.
- Gastel, B. (1998). Health Writer's Handbook. Iowa State Press.
- Gastel, B. (1991). Teaching Science A Guide for College and Professional School Instructors. Greenwood.
- Gastel, B. (2010). Career Paths, Medical Writing/Medical Journalism. Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Communication. Sage Publications, Inc..
- Gastel, B. (2010). Editing Within the Pure Sciences. New Perspectives on Technical Editing. Baywood Publishing Company, Inc..
- Gastel, B. (2010). Medical Journalism. Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Communication. Sage Publications, Inc..
- Gastel, B. (2006). Concurrent Sessions: Exploring Issues Relating to International Medical Graduates. 81(12), s63-s68.
- Gastel, B. (2006). Impact of International Medical Graduates on U.S. and Global Health Care: Summary of the ECFMG 50th Anniversary Invitational Conference. 81(12), s3-s6.
- Gastel, B. (1999). Improving the social responsiveness of medical schools. 74(8), s3-s7.
in the news
- Texas A&M University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences receive $500,000 grant KBTX-TV 3 News May 20, 2021
- Announcing the 2020 Excellence in Institutional Writing Award winners EurekAlert! September 22, 2020
- Texas A&M system to build medical complex in Houston to harvest engineering medicine The Battalion March 16, 2020
- Publishing in English Presents Challenges for International Authors TheScientist March 10, 2020
awards and honors
- Bush Excellence Award for Faculty in Public Service conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - For Public Service 2015
- Association of Former Students University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Extension/Continuing Ed. 2012
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Molar Candanosa, Roberto Marcos (2017-05). Climate Change and Global Warming in the Media: A Content Analysis of the Mexican Newspaper El Universal. (Master's Thesis)
- Carney, Sara Elizabeth (2016-05). The Cosmos and the Earth: Content and Quality of Environmental Risk Communication in Cosmos (1980) and Cosmos (2014). (Master's Thesis)
- Schaefer, Mary Elizabeth (2014-12). U.S. Science Journalists' Views and Uses of Online Reader Comments: A Qualitative Study. (Master's Thesis)
- Subramanian, Roma (2011-12). Best Practices of Print Journalists Who Have Won Awards for Mental-Health Reporting: A Qualitative Interview Study. (Master's Thesis)
- Appiah, Bernard (2010-12). Science Journalism in Ghana: A Study of Journalists Who Cover Science. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Veterinary Integrative Biosciences; 4458 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4458