Kubena, Karen individual record
Dr. Kubena's current research involves investigation of the relationship between food choice, dietary behaviors, family, and other factors with the development of obesity and metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Nutrition, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1982
- M.S. in Nutrition, Mississippi State University - (Starkville, Mississippi, United States) 1976
- B.S. in Food and Nutrition, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1967
- Xu, H., Li, X., Adams, H., Kubena, K., & Guo, S. (2018). Etiology of Metabolic Syndrome and Dietary Intervention.. Int J Mol Sci. 20(1), 128-128.
- McIntosh, A., Kubena, K. S., Tolle, G., Dean, W., Kim, M., Jan, J., & Anding, J. (2011). Determinants of children's use of and time spent in fast-food and full-service restaurants.. J Nutr Educ Behav. 43(3), 142-149.
- Johnson, C. M., Sharkey, J. R., Dean, W. R., Alex McIntosh, W., & Kubena, K. S. (2011). It's who I am and what we eat. Mothers' food-related identities in family food choice.. Appetite. 57(1), 220-228.
- Kubena, K. S. (2011). Metabolic syndrome in adolescents: issues and opportunities.. J Am Diet Assoc. 111(11), 1674-1679.
- McIntosh, W. A., Kubena, K. S., Tolle, G., Dean, W. R., Jan, J., & Anding, J. (2010). Mothers and meals. The effects of mothers' meal planning and shopping motivations on children's participation in family meals.. Appetite. 55(3), 623-628.
- Kubena, K. S., & McIntosh, W. A. (2017). Healthy Foods for Healthy Aging. Nutrition and Functional Foods for Healthy Aging. 345-360. Elsevier.
- McIntosh, W. A., Dean, W., Torres, C. C., Anding, J., Kubena, K. S., & Nayga, R. (2009). The American family meal. MEALS IN SCIENCE AND PRACTICE. 190-218. Elsevier.
- Carson, D. E., Sharkey, J. R., McIntosh, W. A., Kubena, K. S., & Goodson, P. (2010). Predicting intention to eat breakfast among adolescents using the theory of planned behavior. FASEB JOURNAL. 24(S1), 211.4-211.4.
- KUBENA, K. S., ANDING, J. D., MCINTOSH, W. A., & OBRIEN, B. (1995). MAGNESIUM AND SERUM-LIPIDS IN ADOLESCENTS. FASEB JOURNAL. 9(3), A452-A452.
- ELLIFF, C. S., & KUBENA, K. S. (1995). WEIGHT-GAIN, FAT GAIN, AND ENERGY-INTAKE OF PREGNANT-WOMEN AS RELATED TO WEIGHT-LOSS HISTORY. FASEB JOURNAL. 9(4), A1016-A1016.
- ANDING, J. D., KUBENA, K. S., MCINTOSH, W. A., & OBRIEN, B. (1994). DIET AND HEALTH BEHAVIORS OF 14-YEAR-OLD AND 15-YEAR-OLD ADOLESCENTS DURING SUMMER MONTHS. FASEB JOURNAL. 8(4), A274-A274.
- RALEIGH, E. D., KUBENA, K. S., GREENE, L. W., & MCMURRAY, D. N. (1994). MAGNESIUM-CALCIUM INTERACTION AND TISSUE MINERAL-CONTENT. FASEB JOURNAL. 8(4), A432-A432.
- I-Corps: Probiotic with a unique Mode of Action and Delivery Method awarded by National Science Foundation 2017 - 2019
recent teaching activities
- FSTC485 Directed Studies Instructor
- NFSC412 Nutrition Trtmnt Disease Instructor
- NFSC481 Seminar Instructor
- NFSC485 Directed Studies Instructor
- NFSC491 Research Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Baker, Nicole Alexis (2012-08). Attitudes about Food. (Master's Thesis)
- Peng, Lu (2011-05). Food Group Consumption in a Sample of Children in Houston Area and Its Related Influencing Factors. (Master's Thesis)
- Yeley, Genevieve Connors (2003-12). Parental use of child feeding practices and outcomes in child and adolescent nutrition. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Nutrition & Food Science; 2253 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2253