education and training
- Ph.D. in History, University of California, Davis - (Davis, California, United States) 1997
- M.A. in History, San Francisco State University - (San Francisco, California, United States) 1990
- B.A. in History, San Francisco State University - (San Francisco, California, United States) 1988
- Vaught, D (2018). San Francisco Bay Area Sports: Golden Gate Athletics, Recreation, and Community. Journal of American History. 105(1), 136-136.
- Vaught, D (2013). Soft Soil, Black Grapes: The Birth of Italian Winemaking in California. Journal of American History. 100(3), 884-885.
- Vaught, D (2011). From Tobacco patch to Pitcher's Mound: Gaylord Perry, the Spitter, and farm life in Eastern North Carolina. Journal of Southern History. 77(4), 865-894.
- Vaught, D (2011). Abner Doubleday, Marc Bloch, and the cultural significance of baseball in rural America.. Agric Hist. 85(1), 1-20.
- Vaught, D (2009). Jacob's Well: A Case for Rethinking Family History. AGRICULTURAL HISTORY. 83(4), 542-543.
- Vaught, D (2012). The farmers' game : Baseball in rural America. JHU Press.
- Vaught, D (2010). Teaching the Big Class Advice from a History Colleague. Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Vaught, D (2009). After the gold rush: Tarnished dreams in the Sacramento Valley. JHU Press.
- Kyle, D. G., Fairbanks, R. B., Crepeau, R., Rader, B. G., Riess, S. A., Regalado, S. O., ... Vaught, D (2008). Baseball in America and America in baseball.
- Vaught, D (2002). Cultivating California Growers, Specialty Crops, and Labor, 1875-1920. JHU Press.
- Vaught, D (2013). Transformations in Late Nineteenth-century Rural California. A Companion to California History. 215-229. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Vaught, D (2013). The perils of agriculture in Sacramento’s untamed Hinterland. River City and Valley Life: An Environmental History of the Sacramento Region. 103-116.
- Vaught, D (2008). Our players are mostly farmers: Baseball in rural California, 1850 to 1890. Baseball in America and America in Baseball. 8-31.
in the news
awards and honors
- University Professorships for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - This professorship lasted until 2011. 2008
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Keyworth, Matthew Jerrid (2014-05). Cultures of Dissent: Comparing Populism in Kansas and Texas, 1854-1890. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Keyworth, Matthew Jerrid (2007-12). Poverty, solidarity, and opportunity: the 1938 San Antonio pecan shellers' strike. (Master's Thesis)
- Abel, Joseph Anthony (2004-12). Opening the closed shop: the Galveston Longshoremen's Strike, 1920-1921. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; History; 4236 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4236