My research interests include the use of 3D computer graphics in design, entertainment, and education. This includes motion and control systems for digital characters, tools and pipelines in collaborative production environments, real-time graphics, procedural methods for design, and the visual design of interactive educational software. I have a professional background in visual effects production for films. Specifically, my work focused on the creation and performance of digital creatures in visual effects-heavy tentpole films.
- M.S. in Visualization Science, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1994
- B.E.D. in Environmental Design, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1990
- A.A. in Fine Art, Kilgore College - (Kilgore, Texas, United States) 1987
- Tessendorf, J., Mclaughlin, T., & Giramaji, S. (2021). Multi-Cohort/Multi-Tier/Cross-Disciplinary Instruction and Research via Short Film Production. J. Comput. Sci. Coll.. 36, 107118-107118.
- Cook, M., Seo, J. H., Pine, M., & Mclaughlin, T. (2021). A Study of Mobile Augmented Reality for Motor Nerve Deficits in Anatomy Education. Uhl, J., Jorge, J., Lopes, D. S., & Campos, P. F. (Eds.), Digital Anatomy : Applications of Virtual, Mixed and Augmented Reality. 367-385. Springer International Publishing.
- Roberts, H., Moore, T., & Mclaughlin, T. (2022). A Path To Constructing A Diverse Future In Digital Media Arts. ISEA 2022 - 27th International Symposium on Electronic Art, ISEA2022.
- Cook, M., Payne, A., Seo, J. H., Pine, M., & McLaughlin, T. (2019). InNervate AR: Dynamic Interaction System for Motor Nerve Anatomy Education in Augmented Reality. Communications in Computer and Information Science, HCI International 2019 - Posters. 1033, 359-365.
- Cook, M., Ackley, A., Gonzalez, K. C., Payne, A., Seo, J. H., Kicklighter, C., Pine, M., & McLaughlin, T. (2019). InNervate immersion. ACM SIGGRAPH 2019 Posters, SIGGRAPH '19: Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques Conference. 1-2.
- Crowley, D. E., Murphy, R. R., McNamara, A., McLaughlin, T. D., & Duncan, B. A. (2014). AR browser for points of interest in disaster response in UAV imagery. CHI '14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI '14: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2173-2178.
- McLaughlin, T., & Keske, S. (2012). Evaluation of Students Skills in Remote Collaboration for Creative Problem Solving in Computer Graphics. Eurographics 2012 - Education Papers.
- In Tall Cotton: Q&A with Tim McLaughlin, Visualization Head at Texas A&M Animation Career Review November 23, 2020
- Texas A&M Visualization Grads Give An Insider’s Look At Digital World Building At SXSW Texas A&M Today March 11, 2019
- Texas A&M VizLab head recalls work on 'Star Wars' film with Industrial Light & Magic The Eagle December 17, 2015
- Viz Kids Texas Monthly December 1, 1996
- ETx-STEAM Network to Empower URM Middle School Students awarded by Science Sandbox 2021 - 2023
- Video Games in Engineering and Computer Science Education awarded by NSF 2009 - 2009
- Ibrahim, Zaid Hamed (2018-08). The Stretch-Engine: A Method for Creating Exaggeration in Animation Through Squash and Stretch. (Master's Thesis)
- Schwartz, Seth A (2015-05). Creating Procedural Animation for the Terrestrial Locomotion of Tentacled Digital Creatures. (Master's Thesis)
- Hagan, Landon (2015-05). Spacial Groom. (Master's Thesis)
- Murphy, Krista Lea (2014-12). A Web-based Animation Authoring Application for Quadrupedal Characters. (Master's Thesis)
- Playle, Amber (2014-12). Gait Synthesis of Abnormal Gaits in Canines. (Master's Thesis)