Earth is the planet of the plants. Being autotrophic, sessile, and long-living entities, plants have evolved fascinating strategies to cope with various environmental stresses. Our research is driven by the desire to understand the fundamental principles underlying plant disease resistance, and pathogen virulence, and to improve crop resilience to pathogen infections. We are probing the biochemical and genetic basis of plant signal transduction pathways from cell surface receptors sensing the presence of pathogens to signaling cascades and target genes and proteins that are central to launch effective immune responses in the context of balanced growth and development. We deploy cutting-edge molecular and biochemical technologies coupled with powerful genetic tractability of plants for discovering regulatory networks of living organisms fending off infections. In addition to the acquisition of foundational principles in biology, we further translate knowledge and platforms into the areas for the improvement of crop stress adaptation.
- Yu, X., Xie, Y., Luo, D., Liu, H., de Oliveira, M., Qi, P., ... Shan, L. (2023). A phospho-switch constrains BTL2-mediated phytocytokine signaling in plant immunity.. Cell. 186(11), 2329-2344.e20.
- Liu, Z., Hou, S., Rodrigues, O., Wang, P., Luo, D., Munemasa, S., ... Shan, L. (2022). Phytocytokine signalling reopens stomata in plant immunity and water loss.. Nature. 605(7909), 332-339.
- Kong, L., Rodrigues, B., Kim, J. H., He, P., & Shan, L. (2021). More than an on-and-off switch: Post-translational modifications of plant pattern recognition receptor complexes.. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 63, 102051-102051.
- Hou, S., Liu, D., Huang, S., Luo, D., Liu, Z., Xiang, Q., ... He, P. (2021). The Arabidopsis MIK2 receptor elicits immunity by sensing a conserved signature from phytocytokines and microbes.. Nat Commun. 12(1), 5494.
- Wang, P., Zhou, L., Jamieson, P., Zhang, L., Zhao, Z., Babilonia, K., ... Shan, L. (2020). The Cotton Wall-Associated Kinase GhWAK7A Mediates Responses to Fungal Wilt Pathogens by Complexing with the Chitin Sensory Receptors.. Plant Cell. 32(12), 3978-4001.
- Yu, X., Feng, B., He, P., & Shan, L. (2017). From Chaos to Harmony: Responses and Signaling upon Microbial Pattern Recognition.. ANNUAL REVIEW OF PHYTOPATHOLOGY, VOL 55. 109-137. Annual Reviews.
- Manhes, A., de Oliveira, M., & Shan, L. (2015). Establishment of an efficient virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) assay in Arabidopsis by Agrobacterium-mediated rubbing infection.. 235-241. Springer Nature.
- Kim, J., Kong, L., Shan, L., & He, P. (2021). A casein kinase modulates PARylation in Arabidopsis immunity and DNA damage response. MOLECULAR PLANT-MICROBE INTERACTIONS. 34(7),
- Liu, J., Huang, Y., Yin, C., Shan, L., & He, P. (2021). A trimeric CrRLK1L-LLG1 complex regulates NLR protein SUMM2 activation via MEKK2 scaffolding. MOLECULAR PLANT-MICROBE INTERACTIONS. 34(7),
- Zhang, C., Ma, X., He, P., & Shan, L. (2021). Dynamic ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation in plant pattern-triggered immunity. MOLECULAR PLANT-MICROBE INTERACTIONS. 34(7),
- Clement, C. D., Liu, Z., No, E. G., Ortiz, F. A., He, P., & Shan, L. (2021). Genomic plasticity and virulence diversity of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectim from cotton fields. MOLECULAR PLANT-MICROBE INTERACTIONS. 34(9),
- Clement, C. D., Liu, Z., No, E. G., Ortiz, A., He, P., & Shan, L. (2021). Genomic plasticity and virulence diversity of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectim from cotton fields. MOLECULAR PLANT-MICROBE INTERACTIONS. 34(7),
- AgriLife biochemist Libo Shan named EDGES Fellow AgriLife Today October 7, 2020
- Texas A&M University Announces 2020 EDGES Fellows Texas A&M Today October 7, 2020
- Plant Science Discovery May Help Treat Allergies And Immune Deficiencies Texas A&M Today May 26, 2020
- Plant science discovery may help treat allergies and immune deficiencies Texas A&M Today May 26, 2020
- Babilonia, Kevin (2019-11). Genetic and Molecular Characterization of Fusarium Wilt and Cotton Interactions. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Chenglong (2019-05). Genetic Dissection and Functional Analysis of a Putative Lipase in Plant Immunity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cox Jr., Kevin Lamarr (2018-11). Xanthomonas Living the SWEET Life: Characterization of a Plant Sugar Transporter Family and its Role in Bacterial Blight of Cotton Susceptibility. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cilkiz, Mustafa (2017-05). Genome-wide Bioinformatic and Functional Analysis of Receptor-like Proteins in Cotton. (Master's Thesis)
- Xu, Guangyuan (2016-08). Genetic Dissection and Functional Analysis of Suppressors of Receptor-Like Kinase BAK1 Family-Mediated Cell Death. (Doctoral Dissertation)