Dr. Shannon Deer is the Interim Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs. Dr. Deer teaches in the college's MBA programs and conducts executive development training for leading companies. Dr. Deer's work emphasizes the importance of corporate social responsibility and the intersection of business and solutions to social challenges. Specifically, she explores ways businesses can leverage human resource development tools to invest in women in order to positively impact the business, community, and individual families. Her studies exploring women's experiences exiting the sex trade have been published in top peer-reviewed journals in learning and human resource development.
Dr. Deer also teaches energy finance and modeling. Dr. Deer developed the energy accounting course offered to undergrad and masters students and founded the Certificate in Energy Accounting (CEA) in Mays.
- Ph.D. in Education Human Resource Development, Specialization in Adult Education, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2017
- M.S. in Finance, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2004
- B.B.A. in Accounting, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2004
- Deer, S., Zarestky, J., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2021). ‘Relive my life from scratch’: Learning through transition for women exiting the sex trade. Learning Culture and Social Interaction. 29, 100501-100501.
- Deer, S., & Simpson, N. (2020). “Solvitur Ambulando” (It Is Solved by Walking): Learning Business Leadership on the Camino De Santiago. Journal of Management Education. 44(4), 406-434.
- Deer, S., Zarestky, J., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2020). “Learn how to hustle for good”: Women's work transitions out of the sex trade. Human Resource Development Quarterly. 31(1), 31-48.
- Deer, S., & Baumgartner, L. (2019). “I Can Relate”: Survivor Leadership Supporting Women Transitioning Out of the Sex Trade. Adult Learning. 30(4), 167-175.
- Cherrstrom, C. A., Zarestky, J., & Deer, S. (2018). “This Group Is Vital”: Adult Peers in Community for Support and Learning. Adult Learning. 29(2), 43-52.
- Zaretsky, J., & Deer, S. (2017). Maximizing Motivation: Talent Development in Non-Governmental Organizations. Nafukho, F. M., Dirani, K., & Irby, B. (Eds.), Talent Development and the Global Economy Perspectives from Special Interest Groups. (pp. 75-92). IAP.
- Deer, S., & Chlup, D. T. (2016). Listen carefully, act thoughtfully: Exploring sex work as an adult education context. Mizzi, R. C., Rocco, T. S., & Shore, S. (Eds.), Disrupting Adult and Community Education Teaching, Learning, and Working in the Periphery. (pp. 65-82). SUNY Press.