The research in our laboratory focuses on advanced materials and processes for sustainable energy and clean environment. Our group is specialized in synthesis of nanomaterials and multifunctional materials, catalysis and photocatalysis, carbon capture and conversion, natural gas utilization, solar photochemical and thermochemical processes, rechargeable batteries, membrane technology (wastewater treatment, desalination, drinking water purification), and aerosol engineering. For example, we have designed multifunctional nanomaterials to catalytically convert CO2 and water to syngas under solar irradiation, which can be further processed to produce liquid fuels. We also perform advanced microscopic and spectroscopic studies to understand materials properties, interfaces and surface chemistry.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering Sciences, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2007
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University - (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States) 2004
- M.E. in Thermal Engineering, Zhejiang University - (Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China) 2002
- B.E. in Thermal Engineering, Zhejiang University - (Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China) 1999
- Deng, W., Fan, T., & Li, Y (2022). Water wave vibration-promoted solar evaporation with super high productivity. Nano Energy. 92, 106745-106745.
- Gang, Y., Sarnello, E., Pellessier, J., Fang, S., Suarez, M., Pan, F., ... Li, Y. (2021). One-Step Chemical Vapor Deposition Synthesis of Hierarchical Ni and N Co-Doped Carbon Nanosheet/Nanotube Hybrids for Efficient Electrochemical CO2 Reduction at Commercially Viable Current Densities. ACS Catalysis. 11(16), 10333-10344.
- Jung, B., Abu-Rub, F., El-Ghenymy, A., Deng, W., Li, Y., Batchelor, B., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2021). Photocatalytic reduction of chlorate in aqueous TiO2 suspension with hole scavenger under simulated solar light. Emergent Materials. 4(2), 435-446.
- Deng, W., Fan, T., & Li, Y (2021). In situ biomineralization-constructed superhydrophilic and underwater superoleophobic PVDF-TiO2 membranes for superior antifouling separation of oil-in-water emulsions. Journal of Membrane Science. 622, 119030-119030.
- Guo, B., Alivio, T., Fleer, N. A., Feng, M., Li, Y., Banerjee, S., & Sharma, V. K. (2021). Elucidating the Role of Dissolved Organic Matter and Sunlight in Mediating the Formation of Ag-Au Bimetallic Alloy Nanoparticles in the Aquatic Environment.. Environ Sci Technol. 55(3), 1710-1720.
- Zhao, H., & Li, Y (2018). Nanocomposite Photocatalysts for Solar Fuel Production from CO2and Water. Multifunctional Nanocomposites for Energy and Environmental Applications. 271-308. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- LI, Y (2014). Fuel Production from Photocatalytic Reduction of CO2with Water Using TiO2-Based Nanocomposites. Green Carbon Dioxide. 245-267. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Feng, X., Pan, F., & Li, Y (2019). CO2 photoreduction by porous TiO2 synergetically promoted by atomic layer deposited MgO and photodeposited Ag. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Pan, F., & Li, Y (2019). Decorated carbon nanotube/carbon nanosheet architecture enables improved CO2 electroreduction. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Deng, W., & Li, Y (2019). Facile, inexpensive, and scalable approach enabled robust TiO2-coating on stainless steel mesh for oil/water separation. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Xiang, X., Pan, F., & Li, Y (2019). Flower-like MgAl layered double hydroxides grown on carbon paper as a free-standing electrode for efficient electrochemical sensing of nitrite. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Pan, F., Xiang, X., & Li, Y (2019). High-temperature photothermal catalytic CO2 reforming of methane on Pt/CeO2-based catalysts using concentrated solar. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Deng, Wei (2019-08). Development of Advanced Photocatalysis and Membranes for Wastewater Treatment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gao, Chongjie (2019-05). Superhydrophobic Surface Modification of Carbon Nanotubes for Polymer Membrane in Direct Contact Membrane Distillation. (Master's Thesis)
- Scott, Tyler Andrew (2017-12). PHOTOCATALYTIC DEGRADATION OF PHENOL IN WATER BY SILVER/TITANIUM DIOXIDE NANORODS COATED WITH AN ULTRATHIN MAGNESIUM OXIDE LAYER. (Master's Thesis)
- Zheng, Xiaoyu (2017-12). Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticle as Surface Loading for Carbon Dioxide Reduction on Titanium Dioxide Photocatalyst with Aluminium Oxide Interlayer. (Master's Thesis)
- Zhao, Huilei (2017-08). Innovative Nanomaterials for Efficient CO2 Photocatalytic Conversion to Fuels. (Doctoral Dissertation)