My lab is focused on the mechanisms of spore germination and bile acid resistance in Clostridium difficile. C. difficile is a Gram-positive, spore forming, anaerobe that causes infections in people who have undergone antibiotic regimens. Previously, we had shown that certain bile acids promote C. difficile spore germination while others inhibit germination. Bile acids are small molecules made by the liver that help the absorption of fat and cholesterol in the GI tract while also serving as a protective barrier against invading pathogens. Because C. difficile spores use the ratios of bile acids as cues for germination, the actively growing bacteria must have adapted means to avoid their toxic properties. We are currently focused on identifying these factors and the mechanisms by which C. difficile spores germinate.
- Tufts University - (Medford, Massachusetts, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2010
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, University of Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 2001
- Bhattacharjee, D., & Sorg, J. A. (2020). Factors and Conditions That Impact Electroporation of Clostridioides difficile Strains.. MSPHERE. 5(2),
- McAllister, K. N., & Sorg, J. A. (2019). CRISPR Genome Editing Systems in the Genus Clostridium: a Timely Advancement. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 201(16),
- Janvilisri, T., Sorg, J. A., Scaria, J., & Sadowsky, M. J. (2019). Editorial: Alternative Therapeutic Approaches For Multidrug Resistant Clostridium difficile. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10(MAY), 1216.
- Savidge, T., & Sorg, J. A. (2019). Role of Bile in Infectious Disease: the Gall of 7 alpha-Dehydroxylating Gut Bacteria. CELL CHEMICAL BIOLOGY. 26(1), 1-3.
- Bouillaut, L., Dubois, T., Francis, M. B., Daou, N., Monot, M., Sorg, J. A., Sonenshein, A. L., & Dupuy, B. (2019). Role of the global regulator Rex in control of NAD(+)-regeneration in Clostridioides (Clostridium) difficile. Mol Microbiol. 111(6), 1671-1688.