Her primary administrative role is serving as Founding Director of the University-wide Center for Population Health and Aging.
She also serves as Associate Vice President for Strategic Partnerships and Initiatives at the Health Science Center. As Founding Director of the Texas A&M Center for Population Health and Aging, she is working with an interdisciplinary cross-campus group to develop innovative research projects across public health, medicine, architecture, engineering and computer sciences that reframe healthy aging as the new normal.
She has been a primary investigator on multiple local, state and federally funded grants to implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions for promoting healthy lifestyle changes in midlife and older ages. As the National Program Director for Active for Life, she documented the success of behaviorally-based exercise programs for increasing physical activity in Americans 50 and older. She has also served as the national evaluator for the National Study of Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and has directed prevention and management of diabetes program evaluations, including the development and testing of a patient education DIOSK for providing education to low-literacy persons with diabetes. She has directed the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services adaptation and evaluation of the Texercise Program and overseen the local implementation and evaluation of the evidence-based Fit and Strong! program. Further, she has been an active member of the Texas Falls Prevention Coalition (now the Texas Active for Life Coalition) since its inception and has specialized expertise in evaluation of community-based fall prevention programs for vulnerable older adults, including A Matter of Balance, Otago, and Stepping On.
- M.P.H. in , Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1981
- Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1981
- Ph.D. in Family Studies and Sociology, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1976
- M.A. in Sociology and Human Development, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1973
- B.A. in Sociology and Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1971
- Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Dahlke, D. V., Pardo, N., & Ory, M. G. (2020). A Cross-Sectional Examination of Patients' Perspectives About Their Pain, Pain Management, and Satisfaction with Pain Treatment. Pain Medicine (United States). 21(2), E164-E171.
- Lee, J., Callaghan, T., Ory, M., Zhao, H., & Bolin, J. (2020). Difference in the risk of depressive symptoms associated with physical activity in persons with diabetes: Across age, gender, and race/ethnicity. Journal of Affective Disorders. 269, 108-116.
- Smith, M. L., Lee, S., Jr, T., Han, G., Quinn, C., Pena-Purcell, N. C., & Ory, M. G. (2020). Impact of a Behavioral Intervention on Diet, Eating Patterns, Self-Efficacy, and Social Support. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 52(2), 180-186.
- Harden, S. M., III, S., Smith, M. L., Gaglio, B., Ory, M. G., Rabin, B., Estabrooks, P. A., & Glasgow, R. E. (2020). National Working Group on the RE-AIM Planning and Evaluation Framework: Goals, Resources, and Future Directions. Front Public Health. 7, 390.
- Lee, S., Lee, C., & Ory, M. G. (2019). Association between Recent Falls and Changes in Outdoor Environments near Community-Dwelling Older Adults' Homes over Time: Findings from the NHATS Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 16(18), 3230-3230.
- Ojinnaka, C., Bolin, J. L., Nash, P., Ory, M., & McClellan, D. (2015). Cancer in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, j. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020. Volume 2. (pp. 1-14). Texas A%26M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Towne, S. D., Lee, C., Smith, M. L., Pulczinski, J., Swierc, S. M., Coughlin, R., Roach, A., & Ory, M. G. (2015). Health-related Quality of Life & Well-Being. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020. Volume 2. (pp. 41-52). Texas A%26M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Ory, M. G., Towne, S. D., Stevens, A. B., Park, C. H., & Chodzko-Zajko, W. J. (2015). Implementing and Disseminating Exercise Programs for Older Adult Populations. Sullivan, M. G., & Pomidor, K. A. (Eds.), Exercise for Aging Adults. (pp. 139-150). Springer International Publishing.
- Towne, S. D., Smith, M. L., Pulczinski, J., Lee, C., & Ory, M. G. (2015). Older Adults. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020 Volume 1. (pp. 107-118). Texas A%26M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Bolin, J. L., Schulze, A., Helduser, J., & Ory, M. (2015). The Burden of Diabetes in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020 Volume 1. (pp. 43-54). Texas A%26M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Dahlke, D., Smith, M. L., Han, G., Ory, M. G., & Cohen, E. (2019). Metastatic breast cancer alliance's patient education and access to trials: Perceptions and actions. CANCER RESEARCH. 79(4),
- Smith, M. L., Schneider, E. C., Ory, M. G., Wilson, A., & Shubert, T. (2015). ASSESSING SYSTEMS CHANGE FOR FALL PREVENTION IN THREE STATES. The Gerontologist. 55(Suppl_2), 157-157.
- Mehta, R., Towne, S. D., Shortz, A. E., Yoshikawa, A., Pankey, R., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2015). BMI SELECTIVELY IMPAIRS POSTURAL BALANCE UNDER DUAL TASK CONDITIONS. The Gerontologist. 55(Suppl_2), 192-192.
- Parker, E., Lee, R., Floyd, F., Roma, A., Talbut, B., Moss, H., Ory, M. G., & Smith, M. L. (2015). MAKING OLDER ADULT FALL PREVENTION PART OF ROUTINE CARE IN A LARGE HEALTH SYSTEM IN NEW YORK STATE. The Gerontologist. 55(Suppl_2), 320-320.
- Mielenz, T., Winter, S. J., Ory, M. G., Schneider, E., Smith, M. L., Altpeter, M., ... Caffarelli, A. I. (2015). MULTI-LEVEL BEHAVIORAL CHANGE APPROACHES TO FALL PREVENTION: INDIVIDUAL, COMMUNITY AND POLICY. Ann Behav Med. 49, S126-S126.
Institutional Repository Documents1
- Lee, J., Foster, M. J., Bolin, J., Ory, M., Zho, H., Callaghan, T., & Oh, M. (2018). Association between depression and physical activity in type 2 diabetes, 2000-2018: a systematic review.
- (1989). AIDS in an Aging Society What We Need to Know. Churchill Livingstone.
- (1989). Aging and Health Care Social Science and Policy Perspectives. Taylor %26 Francis.
- (1994). Aging and Quality of Life. Springer Publishing Company.
- (1992). Aging, Health, and Behavior. SAGE Publications, Incorporated.
- (1992). Aging, health, and behavior. Sage Publications, Inc.