Her primary administrative role is serving as Founding Director of the University-wide Center for Population Health and Aging.
She also serves as Associate Vice President for Strategic Partnerships and Initiatives at the Health Science Center. As Founding Director of the Texas A&M Center for Population Health and Aging, she is working with an interdisciplinary cross-campus group to develop innovative research projects across public health, medicine, architecture, engineering and computer sciences that reframe healthy aging as the new normal.
She has been a primary investigator on multiple local, state and federally funded grants to implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions for promoting healthy lifestyle changes in midlife and older ages. As the National Program Director for Active for Life, she documented the success of behaviorally-based exercise programs for increasing physical activity in Americans 50 and older. She has also served as the national evaluator for the National Study of Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and has directed prevention and management of diabetes program evaluations, including the development and testing of a patient education DIOSK for providing education to low-literacy persons with diabetes. She has directed the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services adaptation and evaluation of the Texercise Program and overseen the local implementation and evaluation of the evidence-based Fit and Strong! program. Further, she has been an active member of the Texas Falls Prevention Coalition (now the Texas Active for Life Coalition) since its inception and has specialized expertise in evaluation of community-based fall prevention programs for vulnerable older adults, including A Matter of Balance, Otago, and Stepping On.
- M.P.H. in , Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1981
- Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1981
- Ph.D. in Family Studies and Sociology, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1976
- M.A. in Sociology and Human Development, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1973
- B.A. in Sociology and Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1971
- Yoshikawa, A., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Differential risk of falls associated with pain medication among community-dwelling older adults by cognitive status.. Age and Ageing.
- Zhao, H., Merchant, N. N., McNulty, A., Radcliff, T. A., Cote, M. J., Fischer, R., Sang, H., & Ory, M. G. (2021). COVID-19: Short term prediction model using daily incidence data. PLoS ONE. 16(4), e0250110-e0250110.
- Vollmer Dahlke, D., Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Popovich, S., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Attitudes Toward Technology and Use of Fall Alert Wearables in Caregiving: Survey Study. JMIR Aging. 4(1), e23381-e23381.
- Ory, M. G., Lee, S., Towne, S. D., Flores, S., Gabriel, O., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Implementing a Diabetes Education Program to Reduce Health Disparities in South Texas: Application of the RE-AIM Framework for Planning and Evaluation. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17(17), 6312-6312.
- Yoshikawa, A., Ramirez, G., Smith, M. L., Lee, S., & Ory, M. G. (2020). Systematic review and meta-analysis of fear of falling and fall-related efficacy in a widely disseminated community-based fall prevention program. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 91, 104235-104235.
- Ojinnaka, C., Bolin, J. L., Nash, P., Ory, M., & McClellan, D. (2015). Cancer in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, j. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020. Volume 2. (pp. 1-14). Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Ory, M. G., Towne, S. D., Stevens, A. B., Park, C. H., & Chodzko-Zajko, W. J. (2015). Implementing and Disseminating Exercise Programs for Older Adult Populations. Sullivan, M. G., & Pomidor, K. A. (Eds.), Exercise for Aging Adults. (pp. 139-150). Springer International Publishing.
- Bolin, J. L., Schulze, A., Helduser, J., & Ory, M. (2015). The Burden of Diabetes in Rural America. Bolin, J. N., Bellamy, G., Ferdinand, A. O., Kash, B. A., & Helduser, J. W. (Eds.), Rural Healthy People 2020 Volume 1. (pp. 43-54). Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center.
- Smith, M. L., Belza, B., Altpeter, M., Ahn, S., Dickerson, J. B., & Ory, M. G. (2012). Disseminating an Evidence-Based Disease Self-Management Program for Older Americans: Implications for Diversifying Participant Reach Through Delivery Site Adoption. Maddock, J. (Eds.), Public Health - Social and Behavioral Health. InTech.
- Hochhalter, A. K., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2010). Successful Aging and Resilience: Applications for Public Health and Health Care. Resnick, B., Gwyther, L. P., & Roberto, K. A. (Eds.), Resilience in Aging. (pp. 15-29). Springer New York.
- Smith, M. L., Adler, C., Patel, A., Venigalla, S., Ahn, S., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HEALTHCARE-RELATED FRUSTRATIONS AMONG ADULTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 314-314.
- Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FALL PREVENTION INTERVENTION SUSTAINABILITY AFTER THE FUNDING ENDS. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Shubert, T., Ory, M., Schneider, E. C., & Smith, M. L. (2016). INNOVATION AND FALL PREVENTION. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Schneider, E. C., Shubert, T., Smith, M. L., Wilson, A., & Ory, M. (2016). MULTI-LEVEL FALL PREVENTION OVER TIME: THE STATE-DRIVEN FALL PREVENTION PROJECT. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., Smith, M. L., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., & Shubert, T. (2016). SYSTEMS CHANGE FOR FALL PREVENTION PROGRAM DELIVERY. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
Institutional Repository Documents1
- Lee, J., Foster, M. J., Bolin, J., Ory, M., Zho, H., Callaghan, T., & Oh, M. (2018). Association between depression and physical activity in type 2 diabetes, 2000-2018: a systematic review.
- Casey II, W. T., Ory, M., & Fischer, R. (2020). Colleges and the Thanksgiving COVID-19 risk: Fauci’s right – holiday plans may have to change. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Ory, M., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Social isolation: The COVID-19 pandemic’s hidden health risk for older adults, and how to manage it. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Ory, M., Belza, B., & Smith, M. L. (2018). As life expectancies rise, so are expectations for healthy aging. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Smith, M. L., Schneider, E., Ory, M., & Shubert, T. (2018). Before the fall: How oldsters can avoid one of old age’s most dangerous events. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Surge raises suspicions migrants are propelling COVID-19 outbreaks The Washington Examiner July 29, 2021