Norris, William individual record
- Faculty Affiliate, Albritton Center for Grand Strategy, Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government and Public Service
- Director, Economic Statecraft Program
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Associate Professor, International Affairs, Bush School of Government and Public Service
Dr. William Norris is currently a professor of Chinese foreign and security policy at the Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M University where he teaches graduate-level courses in Chinese domestic politics, East Asian security, and Chinese foreign policy. His broad research interests include East Asian security, business-government relations, Chinese foreign and security policy, and international relations theory--particularly the strategic relationship between economics and national security. His work examines the use of commercial sector actors to achieve national foreign policy objectives in the context of Chinese grand strategy.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 2010
- A.B. in Politics (Summa Cum Laude), Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1999
- Norris, W. (2022). A New Center of Excellence at the Bush School: The Strategic Importance of Economic Statecraft. Foreign affairs. 101(5), 427-445.
- Norris, W. J., Vaughan-Naron, K., Kashyap, N., & Rodgers, J. B. (2022). Inoculating the University R&D Enterprise: How RISC can strengthen post-COVID-19 research integrity and global supply chains. BUSINESS AND POLITICS. 24(2), 113-132.
- Norris, W. J. (2021). China's Post-Cold War Economic Statecraft: A Periodization. Journal of Current Chinese Affairs. 50(3), 294-316.
- Tyler, J. T., Araya, S., Sullivan, R., Hewage, T., & Norris, W. J. (2021). Hong Kong Hardball (Apr, 10.1080/19406940.2021.1915850, 2021). INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SPORT POLICY AND POLITICS. 13(4), I-I.
- Tyler, J. T., Araya, S., Sullivan, R., Hewage, T., & Norris, W. J. (2021). Hong Kong Hardball. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SPORT POLICY AND POLITICS. 13(4), 733-739.
- Norris, W. J. (2016). Chinese economic statecraft: Commercial actors, grand strategy, and state control. Cornell University Press.
- Norris, W. J. (2017). Chinas Economic Statecraft in Sino-American Relations. China's Economic Statecraft. 193-212. World Scientific Publishing.
- Norris, W. (2016). Economic statecraft as a tool of peacemaking? Chinas relationships with India and Russia. The Political Economy of Regional Peacemaking. 169-191. University of Michigan Press.
- Norris, W. The Party in the Boardroom. Blanchette, J., & Kennedy, S. (Eds.), Chinese State Capitalism: Diagnosis and Prognosis. 24-28. Center for Strategic & International Studies.
- Li, M. China's Economic Statecraft. China's Economic Statecraft: Co-optation, Cooperation and Coercion. 193-212. WORLD SCIENTIFIC.
- Sievert, R., & Norris, W. (2018). Arbitration as a way out of the North Korean crisis. - An article submitted to The Conversation
awards and honors
- China and the World Program Fellow conferred by Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States) - Columbia-Harvard 2010
recent teaching activities
- INTA621 Chinese Foreign Policy Instructor
- INTA670 Intl Affairs Capstne Sem Instructor
- INTA672 East Asian Security Instructor
- INTA673 Chinese Dom Pol Trans Instructor
- INTA684 Prof Internship Instructor
Texas A&M University; International Affairs; 4220 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4220