Professional experience spans industry, academia, government, and the non-profit sectors. Have been a practicing engineer recognized as a "Fellow" by peer groups and appointed to lead national teams evaluating future space exploration technology development, microgravity science development and human space operations for the National Academy of Engineers. A five time Space Shuttle Astronaut with more than 50 days in space and an integral member of the research and operations development teams for those flights. Recognized with NASA Spaceflight and Leadership medals, 7 honorary academic degrees and invited university lectures. Recognized for developing and supporting STEM programs in schools and with Informal Science Education (ISE) institutions. Skilled at developing operational excellence within culturally diverse environments and creating a collectively supported strategic vision. An internationally recognized speaker who is requested to lecture on topics related to human spaceflight, spacecraft design, spaceflight research operations, microgravity research and STEM careers.
- B.S. in Ceramic Engineering, University of Washington - (Seattle, Washington, United States)
- Ph.D. in Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering, University of Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States)
- M.S. in Ceramic Engineering, University of Washington - (Seattle, Washington, United States)
- Woodruff, R., Beebe, N., Josan, P. K., Dutta, P., Short, A., Wong, R., ... Diaz-Artiles, A (2021). 3D Interactive Model of HERA to support ECLSS anomaly resolution using a Virtual Assistant. 2021 IEEE Aerospace Conference (50100), 2021 IEEE Aerospace Conference. 00, 1-10.
- Burke, P. A., & Dunbar, B. J (2021). Development of Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) Models of the Formation and Buoyancy-Driven Detachment of Bubbles in Variable Gravity Environments. AIAA Scitech 2021 Forum, AIAA Scitech 2021 Forum.
- Chen, Y., Ai, B., Heidari, E., Dunbar, B. J., Sorger, V. J., Wong, Z. J., Chen, R. T., & Dalir, H. (2019). Bottom to in-plane grating coupler with high coupling efficiency and directionality. Terahertz, RF, Millimeter, and Submillimeter-Wave Technology and Applications XII, Terahertz, RF, Millimeter, and Submillimeter-Wave Technology and Applications XII. 10917, 109171x-109171x-1.
- Dunbar, B. J., Chapates, P. J., & IEEE (2019). Comparison of 3D Photogrammetric and Laser Hand Scans to Manual Measurement Methods for EVA Glove Fabrication. 2019 IEEE AEROSPACE CONFERENCE.
- Gunawan, B., Greer, M. L., Bering, E. A., Gamblin, R., Porat, I., Lehnen, J., ... Nowling, M (2018). NASA and University of Houston’s Approach in Engaging and Developing Undergraduate Students’ Skills Through Undergraduate Student Instrumentation Project. 2018 AIAA SPACE and Astronautics Forum and Exposition, 2018 AIAA SPACE and Astronautics Forum and Exposition.