The main goal of our laboratory is to understand the molecular mechanisms of cardiac muscle dynamics in normal and diseased states. Particularly, our interests focus on the relationships between thin filament activation and crossbridge kinetics, and how the mechanotransduction signaling transmits to myofilament activation. We use multiple techniques, molecular, cellular, biochemistry, structural and biophysical, to obtain information on the fundamental regulatory mechanisms of cardiac muscle contraction.
- University of Cincinnati - (Cincinnati, Ohio, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1994
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1989
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1983
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University - (Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1980
- Davis, M. J., Scallan, J. P., Wolpers, J. H., Muthuchamy, M., Gashev, A. A., & Zawieja, D. C. (2012). Intrinsic increase in lymphangion muscle contractility in response to elevated afterload. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 303(7), H795-H808.
- Gashev, A. A., Zhang, R., Muthuchamy, M., Zawieja, D. C., & Davis, M. J. (2012). Regional Heterogeneity of Length-Tension Relationships in Rat Lymph Vessels. Lymphatic research and biology. 10(1), 14-19.
- Nepiyushchikh, Z. V., Chakraborty, S., Wang, W., Davis, M. J., Zawieja, D. C., & Muthuchamy, M. (2011). Differential effects of myosin light chain kinase inhibition on contractility, force development and myosin light chain 20 phosphorylation of rat cervical and thoracic duct lymphatics. Journal of Physiology. 589(22), 5415-5429.
- Sarin, V., Muthuchamy, M., & Heaps, C. L. (2011). Ca2+ sensitization of cardiac myofilament proteins contributes to exercise training-enhanced myocardial function in a porcine model of chronic occlusion. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 301(4), h1579-h1587.
- Wu, X., Chakraborty, S., Heaps, C. L., Davis, M. J., Meininger, G. A., & Muthuchamy, M. (2011). Fibronectin increases the force production of mouse papillary muscles via α5β1 integrin. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 50(1), 203-213.
- Role of renal lymphatics in blood pressure regulation awarded by NIDDK 2019 - 2023