The long-term goal of my laboratory is to understand the molecular basis of pathogenesis of Marek's disease virus (MDV), a potent oncogenic herpesvirus that causes T-cell tumors in chickens. MDV codes for a protein (Meq), which shares significant resemblance with the Jun/Fos family of transcriptional factors. We have shown that this gene plays a critical role in latency and transformation of T-lymphocytes. Understanding the basic mechanism of viral pathogenesis will aid in the development of improved vaccine. We are also interested in other important poultry disease like avian influenza.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, University of Maryland, College Park - (College Park, Maryland, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Virology, University of Maryland, College Park - (College Park, Maryland, United States) 1989
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, Andhra University - (Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India) 1986
- Kayser, W. C., Carstens, G. E., Washburn, K. E., Jr, W., Lawhon, S. D., Reddy, S. M., ... Skidmore, A. L. (2019). Effects of combined viral-bacterial challenge with or without supplementation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii strain CNCM I-1079 on immune upregulation and DMI in beef heifers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97(3), 1171-1184.
- Gimeno, I. M., Cortes, A. L., Reddy, S. M., Abad, B., Kaser, T., & Limsatanun, A. (2019). Highly virulent Marek's disease virus strains affect T lymphocyte function and viability of splenocytes in commercial meat-type chickens. Avian Pathol. 1-9.
- Faiz, N. M., Cortes, A. L., Guy, J. S., Reddy, S. M., & Gimeno, I. M. (2018). Differential attenuation of Marek's disease virus-induced tumours and late-Marek's disease virus-induced immunosuppression. J Gen Virol. 99(7), 927-936.
- Dunn, J. R., Reddy, S. M., Niikura, M., Nair, V., Fulton, J. E., & Cheng, H. H. (2017). Evaluation and Identification of Marek's Disease Virus BAC Clones as Standardized Reagents for Research. Avian Dis. 61(1), 107-114.
- Reddy, S. M., Izumiya, Y., & Lupiani, B. (2017). Marek's disease vaccines: Current status, and strategies for improvement and development of vector vaccines. Vet Microbiol. 206, 113-120.
- Reddy, S. M., Sun, A., Khan, O. A., Lee, L. F., & Lupiani, B. (2013). Cloning of a Very Virulent Plus, 686 Strain of Marek's Disease Virus as a Bacterial Artificial Chromosome. Avian Dis. 57(2), 469-473.
- Sun, A., Lee, L. F., Khan, O. A., Heidari, M., Zhang, H., Lupiani, B., & Reddy, S. M. (2013). Deletion of Marek's Disease Virus Large Subunit of Ribonucleotide Reductase Impairs Virus Growth In Vitro and In Vivo. Avian Dis. 57(2), 464-468.
- Lupiani, B., Lee, L. F., Kreager, K. S., Witter, R. L., & Reddy, S. M. (2013). Insertion of Reticuloendotheliosis Virus Long Terminal Repeat into the Genome of CVI988 Strain of Marek's Disease Virus Results in Enhanced Growth and Protection. Avian Dis. 57(2), 427-431.
- Lee, L. F., Kreager, K., Heidari, M., Zhang, H., Lupiani, B., Reddy, S. M., & Fadly, A. (2013). Properties of a meq-Deleted rMd5 Marek's Disease Vaccine: Protection Against Virulent MDV Challenge and Induction of Lymphoid Organ Atrophy Are Simultaneously Attenuated by Serial Passage In Vitro. Avian Dis. 57(2), 491-497.
- Ferro, P. J., Khan, O., Vuong, C., Reddy, S. M., LaCoste, L., Rollins, D., & Lupiani, B. (2012). Avian Influenza Virus Investigation in Wild Bobwhite Quail from Texas. Avian Dis. 56(4), 858-860.