Dr. Bukkapatnam's research addresses the harnessing of high-resolution nonlinear dynamic information, particularly from wireless MEMS sensors, to improve the monitoring and prognostics of real-world systems, including ultraprecision and nanomanufacturing processes and machines, and cardiorespiratory processes. His research has led to 125 peer-reviewed publications (73 published/ accepted in journals and 52 in conference proceedings) and five pending patents, and has been the basis for ten Ph.D. dissertations. His research has received support from the federal agencies including National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and Department of Defense, and the private sector including General Motors, Ford, National Instruments, and the Central Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 1997
- M.S. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 1994
- B.T. in Mechanical Engineering, Sri Venkateswara University - (Tirumala - Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India) 1992
- Chegdani, F., Mansori, M. E., Bukkapatnam, S., & Amri, I. E. (2020). Thermal effect on the tribo-mechanical behavior of natural fiber composites at micro-scale. TRIBOLOGY INTERNATIONAL. 149, 105831-105831.
- Thomas, N., Srinivasa, A. R., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). A mixed experimental-CFD-data science approach for rheological measurement of polishing fluids. Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures. 1-11.
- Chegdani, F., Takabi, B., Mansori, M. E., Tai, B. L., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). Effect of flax fiber orientation on machining behavior and surface finish of natural fiber reinforced polymer composites. JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES. 54, 337-346.
- Zhong, Y., Wang, Z., Yalamanchili, A. V., Yadav, A., Srivatsa, B., Saripalli, S., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). Image-based flight control of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for material handling in custom manufacturing. JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS.
- Wang, Z., Chegdani, F., Yalamarti, N., Takabi, B., Tai, B., Mansori, M. E., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). Acoustic Emission (AE) characterization of natural fiber reinforced plastic (NFRP) composite machining using a random forest machine learning model. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME. 142(3), 1-40.
- Jain, V. K. (2016). Nanofinishing Science and Technology. Nanofinishing Science and Technology: Basic and Advanced Finishing and Polishing Processes. (pp. 549-595). CRC Press.
- Chang, C., Bukkapatnam, S., & Komanduri, R. (2014). Sensing and informatics in laser-based nanomanufacturing processes. Laser and Photonic Systems: Design and Integration. (pp. 201-234). CRC Press.
- Bukkapatnam, S., Yang, H., & Madhavi, F. (2009). Towards Prediction of Nonlinear and Nonstationary Evolution of Customer Preferences Using Local Markov Models. Product Research. (pp. 271-287). Springer Netherlands.
- Kumara, S., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2007). Characterization and monitoring of nonlinear dynamics and chaos in manufacturing enterprise systems. International Series in Operations Research and Management Science. (pp. 99-122).
- Botcha, B., Wang, Z., Rajan, S., Gautam, N., Bukkapatnam, S., Manthanwar, A., ... Korambath, P. (2018). Implementing the Transformation of Discrete Part Manufacturing Systems Into Smart Manufacturing Platforms. 3, v003t02a009-v003t02a009.
- Wang, Z., Iquebal, A. S., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2018). A vision-based monitoring approach for real-time control of laser origami cybermanufacturing processes. 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLIED HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS (AHFE 2015) AND THE AFFILIATED CONFERENCES, AHFE 2015. 26, 1307-1317.
- McAtee, P. D., Bukkapatnam, S., & Lakhtakia, A. (2018). Artificial neural network to predict the refractive index of a liquid infiltrating a chiral sculptured thin film. MATHEMATICAL MODELING AND ESTIMATION TECHNIQUES IN COMPUTER VISION. 10728,
- Botcha, B., Rajagopal, V., Babu, R. R., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2018). Process-machine interactions and a multi-sensor fusion approach to predict surface roughness in cylindrical plunge grinding process. 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLIED HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS (AHFE 2015) AND THE AFFILIATED CONFERENCES, AHFE 2015. 26, 700-711.
- Chegdani, F., Bukkapatnam, S., & Mansori, M. E. (2018). Thermo-mechanical Effects in Mechanical Polishing of Natural Fiber Composites. 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLIED HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS (AHFE 2015) AND THE AFFILIATED CONFERENCES, AHFE 2015. 26, 294-304.
- El Amri, Iskander (2018-08). Localized Magnetic Fluid Finishing of Freeform Surfaces Using Electro-Permanent Magnets and Magnetic Concentration. (Master's Thesis)
- Tran, Hoang Minh (2017-08). Data Driven Techniques for Modeling Coupled Dynamics in Transient Processes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kovvuri, Vivekananda Reddy (2015-08). Experimental Study of Built-up-edge Formation in Micro Milling. (Master's Thesis)