Dr. Bukkapatnam's research addresses the harnessing of high-resolution nonlinear dynamic information, particularly from wireless MEMS sensors, to improve the monitoring and prognostics of real-world systems, including ultraprecision and nanomanufacturing processes and machines, and cardiorespiratory processes. His research has led to 185 peer-reviewed publications (115 published/ accepted in journals and 70 in conference proceedings), 1 granted and five pending patents, and has been the basis for 17 Ph.D. dissertations. His research has received support from federal agencies including National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and Department of Defense, and the private sector including General Motors, Ford, National Instruments, and the Central Rural Electric Cooperative.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 1997
- M.S. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 1994
- B.T. in Mechanical Engineering, Sri Venkateswara University - (Tirumala - Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India) 1992
- Balasubramaniam, R., Bukkapatnam, S. T., Subbiah, S., & Rao, P. (2021). Guest Editorial. Journal of Micromanufacturing. 4(1), 5-5.
- Tiwari, A., Xu, F., Lakhtakia, A., Yamaguchi, H., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2021). On colors of stainless-steel surfaces polished with magnetic abrasives. Applied Optics. 60(9), 2549-2549.
- Iquebal, A. S., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). Consistent estimation of the max-flow problem: Towards unsupervised image segmentation. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. PP(99), 1-1.
- Chegdani, F., Mansori, M. E., Bukkapatnam, S., & Amri, I. E. (2020). Thermal effect on the tribo-mechanical behavior of natural fiber composites at micro-scale. Tribology International. 149, 105831-105831.
- Iquebal, A. S., Bukkapatnam, S., & Srinivasa, A. (2020). Change Detection in Complex Dynamical Systems Using Intrinsic Phase and Amplitude Synchronization. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 68, 4743-4756.
- Iquebal, A. S., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2018). Change Detection and Prognostics for Transient Real-World Processes Using Streaming Data. Recent Advances in Optimization and Modeling of Contemporary Problems. (pp. 279-315). INFORMS.
- Jain, V. K. (2016). Nanofinishing Science and Technology. Nanofinishing Science and Technology: Basic and Advanced Finishing and Polishing Processes. (pp. 549-595). CRC Press.
- Iyengar, S., Brooks, R., Lu, C., Schwier, J., Griffin, C., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2016). Markov Model Inferencing in Distributed Systems. Distributed Sensor Networks. (pp. 569-580). Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- Chang, C., Bukkapatnam, S., & Komanduri, R. (2014). Sensing and informatics in laser-based nanomanufacturing processes. Laser and Photonic Systems: Design and Integration. (pp. 201-234). CRC Press.
- Raff, L., Komanduri, R., Hagan, M., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2012). Applications of Neural Network Fitting of Potential-Energy Surfaces. Neural Networks in Chemical Reaction Dynamics. Oxford University Press.
- Z. Losoya, E., Vishnumolakala, N., Noynaert, S. F., Medina-Cetina, Z., Bukkapatnam, S., & Gildin, E. (2021). Automatic Identification of Rock Formation Type While Drilling Using Machine Learning Based Data-Driven Models.
- Moturu, P. K., Nepal, B., Pagilla, P., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2020). Assessing the Impact of an REU Program on Students’ Intellectual Growth and Interest in Graduate School in Cybermanufacturing.
- McAtee, P. D., Bukkapatnam, S., & Lakhtakia, A. (2019). Artificial neural network to estimate the refractive index of a liquid infiltrating a chiral sculptured thin film in a sensor chip. SILICON PHOTONICS XIII. 11371, 1137103-1137103-7.
- Nepal, B., Pagilla, P., Srinivasa, A., Moturu, P. K., & Bukkapatnam, S. (2019). Board 115: Preparing Next Generation of Manufacturing Leaders: A Case of REU Site in Cybermanufacturing.
- McAtee, P. D., Bukkapatnam, S., & Lakhtakia, A. (2018). Artificial neural network to predict the refractive index of a liquid infiltrating a chiral sculptured thin film. SILICON PHOTONICS XIII. 10728, 107280g.
- George L. Smith International Award conferred by Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers - (Peachtree Corners, Georgia, United States) - For excellence in the promotion of industrial engineering 2021
- Korlapati, Naga Venkata Saidileep (2020-12). Prognostics in Manufacturing Systems Using DeepSurv. (Master's Thesis)
- Afrin, Kahkashan (2020-08). Survival Analysis for Big Data. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Zimo (2020-08). Smart Sensing in Advanced Manufacturing Processes: Statistical Modeling and Implementations for Quality Assurance and Automation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Iquebal, Ashif Sikandar (2020-08). Graph Analytics For Smart Manufacturing. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhong, Yuhao (2020-05). Image-based Flight Control of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for Material Handling in Custom Manufacturing. (Master's Thesis)