I have been involved in minimally invasive gynecological research and published over 40 clinical articles, case reports, and medical commentaries covering both obstetrical and gynecological topics. My clinical practice is as an OB/GYN hospitalist at CHI Saint Joseph Regional Hospital in Bryan, Texas.
I am a published author on in office gynecologic surgery and was part of the FDA post-approval study for the Essure 305 system, as well as the investigational Essure 505 device. Other areas of research publications include therapies for abnormal uterine bleeding, post-partum sentinel events (retained surgical items), and female sexual health.
Dr. Chapa has served as a peer reviewer for the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Journal of Surgical Case Reports. Additionally, he has served as a medical research consultant to Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon, Bayer Healthcare, Smith&Nephew, Inc., and Cooper Surgical. From 2007-2012, Dr Chapa authored aspects of the professional education content for obstetricians and gynecologists for these medical corporations.
Dr Chapa has taught as an invited physician-faculty member in South Africa, Israel, the European Union, The Netherlands, Norway, Ireland, Chile, Columbia, and Canada due to his unique lecture style and passion for evidence based learning.
- Parkland Memorial Hospital - (Dallas, Texas, United States), Medical Residency 2000
- M.D. in , The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - (Dallas, Texas, United States) 1996
- B.A. in Biology, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1992
- Chapa, H. O., Fish, J. T., Hagar, C., & Wilson, T. (2018). Prevalence of female sexual dysfunction among women attending college presenting for gynecological care at a university student health center. Journal of the American College Health Association. 1-9.
- Chapa, H. O., Ramirez, A., & Dawson, D. (2017). Etonogestrel contraceptive implant-associated secondary anorgasmia. CONTRACEPTION. 96(4), 254-256.
- Chapa, H. O., Geddie, S. G., & Flores, R. (2017). Metastatic neuroblastoma diagnosed on prenatal sonographic examination performed for decreased fetal movement. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 45(8), 502-506.
- Chapa, H. O., Dawson, D., Brading, K., Hodnett, M., Zimmermann, R., & Teke, M. (2016). Non-sexual pelvic inflammatory disease in a virginal patient resulting in catatonic conversion reaction. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery. 32(5), 306-308.
- Roy, S., Carlton, R., Weisberg, M., Clark, R., Migliaccio-Walle, K., & Chapa, H. (2015). Economic Impact of the Use of an Absorbable Adhesion Barrier in Preventing Adhesions Following Open Gynecologic Surgeries. Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants. 25(3), 245-252.
- Chapa, H. (2020). Why wear face masks in public? Here’s what the research shows. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Chapa, H. (2020). Pregnant in a time of coronavirus - the changing risks and what you need to know. - An article submitted to The Conversation