- Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Dean of Faculties and Associate Provost, Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President
Research in my laboratory focuses on better understanding the ecology and evolution of avian influenza and avian paramyxoviruses. By carrying out surveillance and characterization of viruses isolated from wild bird populations from the wintering grounds of the Central Flyway (Texas Coast), we are able to better understand how these viruses are maintained in nature and how they evolve to adapt to new hosts. Molecular characterization of the viruses, together with ecological data are used for epidemiological and modeling studies. Another aspect of my research includes the study of molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis of avian influenza viruses. Using reverse genetics, specific mutations are introduced in the avian influenza virus genome in order to study their role in virus pathogenesis as well as to determine gene function. Using genomic approaches the host/virus interaction is also being studied. We are also interested in understanding molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis of Mareks disease virus, a chicken oncogenic alphaherpesvirus, and in the development of improved vaccines to control this important poultry pathogen.
- Michigan State University - (East Lansing, Michigan, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2002
- Agricultural Research Service - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1997
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, University of Maryland, College Park - (College Park, Maryland, United States) 1994
- B.S. in , University of Santiago de Compostela - (Santiago de Compostela, Spain) 1988
- Reddy, S. M., Izumiya, Y., & Lupiani, B. (2017). Marek's disease vaccines: Current status, and strategies for improvement and development of vector vaccines. Vet Microbiol. 206, 113-120.
- Ferro, P. J., Morrow, M. E., Flanagan, J. P., Ortego, B., Chester, R. E., Mueller, J. M., & Lupiani, B. (2017). Wild Birds, a Source of Reticuloendotheliosis Virus Infection for the Endangered Attwater's Prairie-Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido attwateri)?. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 53(3), 586-590.
- KARKI, S., BUDKE, C. M., RUSHTON, J., LUPIANI, B., KARKI, N., & IVANEK, R. (2015). Cost-benefit analysis of avian influenza control in Nepal.. Rev Sci Tech. 34(3), 813-827.
- Szonyi, B., Srinath, I., Esteve-Gassent, M., Lupiani, B., & Ivanek, R. (2015). Exploratory spatial analysis of Lyme disease in Texas -what can we learn from the reported cases?. BMC public health. 15(1), 924.
- Lebarbenchon, C., Pedersen, J. C., Sreevatsan, S., Ramey, A. M., Dugan, V. G., Halpin, R. A., ... Brown, J. D. (2015). H7N9 influenza A virus in turkeys in Minnesota. J Gen Virol. 96(Pt 2), 269-276.
- Reddy, S. M., Sun, A., Khan, O. A., Lee, L. F., & Lupiani, B. (2013). Cloning of a Very Virulent Plus, 686 Strain of Marek's Disease Virus as a Bacterial Artificial Chromosome. Avian Dis. 57(2), 469-473.
- Sun, A., Lee, L. F., Khan, O. A., Heidari, M., Zhang, H., Lupiani, B., & Reddy, S. M. (2013). Deletion of Marek's Disease Virus Large Subunit of Ribonucleotide Reductase Impairs Virus Growth In Vitro and In Vivo. Avian Dis. 57(2), 464-468.
- Lupiani, B., Lee, L. F., Kreager, K. S., Witter, R. L., & Reddy, S. M. (2013). Insertion of Reticuloendotheliosis Virus Long Terminal Repeat into the Genome of CVI988 Strain of Marek's Disease Virus Results in Enhanced Growth and Protection. Avian Dis. 57(2), 427-431.
- Echevarria, M., Ferro, P., Vuong, C., Metz, K., Hogan, M., & Lupiani, B. (2013). Investigation of the utility of the Simport-Matrix Chaperones for Avian Influenza Virus sample storage and transportation. The FASEB Journal. 27,
- Lee, L. F., Kreager, K., Heidari, M., Zhang, H., Lupiani, B., Reddy, S. M., & Fadly, A. (2013). Properties of a meq-Deleted rMd5 Marek's Disease Vaccine: Protection Against Virulent MDV Challenge and Induction of Lymphoid Organ Atrophy Are Simultaneously Attenuated by Serial Passage In Vitro. Avian Dis. 57(2), 491-497.
- Vuong, Christine (2012-08). Evaluation of Sindbis-M2e Virus Vector as a Universal Influenza A Vaccine. (Master's Thesis)
- Ferro, Pamela Joyce (2010-08). Ecological and Molecular Characterization of Avian Influenza Viruses Obtained from Waterfowl on the Texas Coast. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Singh, Shailbala (2009-12). First Characterization of Avian Memory T Lymphocyte Responses to Avian Influenza Virus Proteins. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Brahmakshatriya, Vinayak (2009-08). Role and Importance of NS1 Protein of Avian Influenza Virus to Grow in the Presence of Interferon and Evaluation of the NS1 Mutant Viruses as Potential DIVA Vaccines. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ajithdoss, Dharani K. (2009-05). Characterization of the Meq oncoproteins of Marek's disease virus vaccine strain CVI988/Rispens. (Doctoral Dissertation)