My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Bancroft, E. A., De La Mora, M., Pandey, G., Zarate, S. M., & Srinivasan, R. (2022). Extracellular S100B inhibits A-type voltage-gated potassium currents and increases L-type voltage-gated calcium channel activity in dopaminergic neurons.. Glia. 70(12), 2330-2347.
- Bancroft, E. A., De La Mora, M., Pandey, G., Zarate, S. M., & Srinivasan, R. (2022). Cover Image, Volume 70, Issue 12. Glia. 70(12), c1-c1.
- Branyan, T. E., Selvamani, A., Park, M. J., Korula, K. E., Kosel, K. F., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2022). Functional Assessment of Stroke-Induced Regulation of miR-20a-3p and Its Role as a Neuroprotectant.. Transl Stroke Res. (3), 432-448.
- Yuan, M., Bancroft, E. A., Chen, J., Srinivasan, R., & Wang, Y. a. (2022). Magnetic Fields and Magnetically Stimulated Gold-Coated Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Differentially Modulate L-Type Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel Activity in Midbrain Neurons. ACS APPLIED NANO MATERIALS. (1), 205-215.
- Huntington, T. E., & Srinivasan, R. (2021). Adeno-Associated Virus Expression of -Synuclein as a Tool to Model Parkinson's Disease: Current Understanding and Knowledge Gaps.. Aging Dis. 12(4), 1120-1137.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. 455-470. Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. JOURNAL OF CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW AND METABOLISM. 39, 460-460.