My research focuses on developing a mechanistic understanding of neurodegeneration, with the goal of discovering novel strategies to treat neurodegenerative disorders. In this regard, I am interested in two primary areas: (1) Understanding the role of astrocytes in neurodegeneration and (2) Elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying the known neuroprotective effects of nicotine in Parkinson's disease.
We utilize a broad range of techniques spanning the spectrum from molecules to mice. Our methods include stereotaxic injections of adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) into the mouse brain, advanced imaging techniques such as Ca2+ imaging in live brain slices using genetically encoded calcium sensors (GCaMPs), in vitro and slice electrophysiology, advanced molecular biology, including creation of transgenic mice and tissue culture.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2013
- University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 2006
- B.M. in Medicine and Surgery, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2000
- Srinivasan, R. (2021). Calcium signals in astrocytes of the fly brain promote sleep.. Cell Calcium. 94, 102341.
- Huntington, T. E., & Srinivasan, R. (2021). Astrocytic mitochondria in adult mouse brain slices show spontaneous calcium influx events with unique properties. Cell Calcium. 96, 102383-102383.
- Huntington, T. E., & Srinivasan, R. (2021). Adeno-Associated Virus Expression of α-Synuclein as a Tool to Model Parkinson’s Disease: Current Understanding and Knowledge Gaps. AGING AND DISEASE. 12(4), 1120-1137.
- Zarate, S. M., Huntington, T. E., Bagher, P., & Srinivasan, R. (2021). Aging reduces calreticulin expression and alters spontaneous calcium signals in astrocytic endfeet of the mouse dorsolateral striatum. 2021.09.24.461710.
- Zarate, S. M., Pandey, G., Chilukuri, S., Garcia, J. A., Cude, B., Storey, S., ... Srinivasan, R. (2021). Cytisine is neuroprotective in female but not male 6‐hydroxydopamine lesioned parkinsonian mice and acts in combination with 17‐β‐estradiol to inhibit apoptotic endoplasmic reticulum stress in dopaminergic neurons. JOURNAL OF NEUROCHEMISTRY. 157(3), 710-726.
- Venugopal, S., Srinivasan, R., & Khakh, B. S. (2019). GECIquant: Semi-automated Detection and Quantification of Astrocyte Intracellular Ca2+ Signals Monitored with GCaMP6f. De Pittà, M., & Berry, H. (Eds.), Computational Glioscience. (pp. 455-470). Springer International Publishing.
- Branyan, T. E., Srinivasan, R., & Sohrabji, F. (2019). MicroRNA (miR)20a-3p preserves astrocyte mitochondrial function under ischemic conditions. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. 39, 460-460.