My laboratory uses an integrative approach to elucidate the molecular basis of cyto/nucleo morphogenesis in the spermatid, called spermiogenesis. This is among the most drastic cellular reorganizations and is critical for both male fertility and high fidelity transmission of genetic and epigenetic information to the next generation for healthy offspring. We seek to elucidate structural and regulatory processes involved in this transformation to understand the molecular underpinnings of cytoskeletal and chromatin remodeling in normal and disrupted spermiogenesis. The laboratory takes advantage of molecular and genetic tools in mouse models including transgenesis, gene knock out studies, and genomic and proteomic expression analyses, advanced imaging technologies for morphological and live tissue imaging, and protein expression and in vitro molecular biochemical approaches such as actin dynamics assays.
- Bedi, Y., Chang, R. C., Gibbs, R., Clement, T. M., & Golding, M. C. (2019). Alterations in sperm-inherited noncoding RNAs associate with late-term fetal growth restriction induced by preconception paternal alcohol use. REPRODUCTIVE TOXICOLOGY. 87, 11-20.
- Gao, X., Chen, H., Liu, J., Shen, S., Wang, Q., Clement, T. M., ... Li, L. (2019). The REGγ-Proteasome Regulates Spermatogenesis Partially by P53-PLZF Signaling. Stem Cell Reports. 13(3), 559-571.
- Clement, T. M., Inselman, A. L., Goulding, E. H., Willis, W. D., & Eddy, E. M. (2015). Disrupting Cyclin Dependent Kinase 1 in Spermatocytes Causes Late Meiotic Arrest and Infertility in Mice1. Biology of Reproduction. 93(6), article-12.
- Chaffee, B. R., Shang, F. u., Chang, M., Clement, T. M., Eddy, E. M., Wagner, B. D., ... Taylor, A. (2014). Nuclear removal during terminal lens fiber cell differentiation requires CDK1 activity: appropriating mitosis-related nuclear disassembly. Development. 141(17), 3388-3398.
- Clement, T., Geyer, C., Willis, W., Goulding, E., & Eddy, M. (2012). Testis Expressed Actin-Like 7b (Actl7b) Is Required for Mouse Spermatid Morphogenesis and Male Fertility.. Biology of Reproduction. 87(Suppl_1), 140-140.
- Bedi, Y., Chang, R. C., Gibbs, R., Clement, T. M., & Golding, M. C. (2020). PRECONCEPTION PATERNAL ALCOHOL EXPOSURE ALTERS THE SPERM NONCODING RNA CONTENT AND LEADS TO FETAL GROWTH RESTRICTION. ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH. 44, 195-195.