My research activities at the College of Dentistry (COD) have a focus on (1) the development of translational and clinical research in dentistry and (2) research on the development and biomechanics of mineralized tissues from a translational and organismal perspective. Research in my laboratory includes studies of phenotypic assessment of skeletal tissues, with an emphasis on material properties, gross and micro structure, biomechanics, and temporal and evolutionary adaptations. Methods that we use include techniques for determining 3D material properties (ultrasound, nanoindentation), 2D and 3D bone histomorphometry, 3D scanning technologies (cone beam CT, micro CT), and various biomechanical modeling techniques, such as finite element analysis. Recent projects have included studies of cranial bone adaptation during wound healing and distraction osteogenesis, and studies of phenotypic adaptations in mouse genetic models related to alterations of pathways associated with Wnt/?-catenin signaling in osteoblasts (with J. Feng) and osteoclasts (with Y. Wan).
Mentoring Experience: 4 Postdocs; 18 PhD; 21 MS; 22 Undergrad DDS Research; 8 Undergrad BS Research; 53 Grad Advisor (as Graduate Program Director); 2 KL2 scholars
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1984
- Ph.D. in Anatomy, University of Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 1980
- B.A. in Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania - (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States) 1975
- Zhang, Q., Zhang, Q., Yang, S., Dechow, P. C., Zhu, H., Yeh, H., & Wang, Q. (2019). Divided zygoma in Holocene human populations from Northern China. American Journal of Human Biology. 31(6), e23314.
- Wang, Q., Zhang, Q., Han, T., Sun, Z., Dechow, P. C., Zhu, H., & Zhang, Q. (2019). Masticatory properties in pre-modern Holocene populations from Northern China. HOMO- Journal of Comparative Human Biology. 70(1), 15-30.
- Ammoury, M. J., Mustapha, S., Dechow, P. C., & Ghafari, J. G. (2019). Two distalization methods compared in a novel patient-specific finite element analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 156(3), 326-336.
- Liu, M., Kurimoto, P., Zhang, J., Niu, Q. T., Stolina, M., Dechow, P. C., ... Kostenuik, P. J. (2018). Sclerostin and DKK1 Inhibition Preserves and Augments Alveolar Bone Volume and Architecture in Rats with Alveolar Bone Loss. J Dent Res. 97(9), 1031-1038.
- Hominick, D., Silva, A., Khurana, N., Liu, Y., Dechow, P. C., Feng, J. Q., ... Dellinger, M. T. (2018). VEGF-C promotes the development of lymphatics in bone and bone loss. Elife. 7,
- Dechow, P. C. (2017). Changes in mandibular cortical bone density and elastic properties during growth. Building Bones: Bone Formation and Development in Anthropology. (pp. 128-147). Cambridge University Press.
- Ross, C. F., Iriarte-Diaz, J., Taylor, A. B., Dechow, P. C., Wilshin, S., Abraha, H. M., & Panagiotopoulou, O. (2019). Strain regimes in the ramus of Macaca mulatta estimated using finite element modeling. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY. 168, 209-209.
- Panagiotopoulou, O., Iriarte-Diaz, J., Abraha, H. M., Taylor, A. B., Wilshin, S., Dechow, P. C., & Ross, C. F. (2018). Determinants of feeding behavior and food material properties on the deformations of the macaque mandible. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY. 165, 198-198.
- Li, H., Luo, W., Feng, A., Tang, M. L., Kensler, T. B., Maldonado, E., ... Wang, Q. (2018). Odontogenic abscesses in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) of Cayo Santiago. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY. 167(3), 441-457.
- Wang, Q., Zhang, Q., Han, T., Sun, Z., Kesterke, M. J., Zhu, H., Dechow, P. C., & Zhang, Q. (2018). The Vulnerability of the Temporomandibular Joint in Recent Northern China Populations. The FASEB Journal. 32(1),
- Dechow, P. C. (2018). Understanding human craniofacial bone properties and biomechanics - a perspective on macaques, baboons, and beyond. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY. 165, 63-63.
- Pryor, Leslie Claire (2015-08). Trabecular Bone Structure and Cellular Morphology in the Primate Craniofacial Skeleton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Spann, Stephanie (2014-08). Sleep Disorders Treatment Survey. (Master's Thesis)