- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute
- Professor, Engineering Technology and Industrial Distribution, College of Engineering
Dr. Jorge Alvarado is a professor in the Department of Engineering Technology and Industrial Distribution at Texas A&M University (TAMU). He holds a joint-appointment in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at TAMU. He teaches courses in the areas of thermal sciences, fluid mechanics, and fluid power. Dr. Alvarado's research interests are in the areas of nanotechnology, micro-scale heat transfer, electronic cooling, phase change materials, thermal storage, bio-fuel combustion, and energy conservation and use of renewable energy in buildings. He received his BS degree in mechanical engineering (1991) from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayag?ez; MS (2000) and PhD (2004) degrees in mechanical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
He has worked and collaborated with the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the University of Wisconsin at Madison and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, among others. Recent work involves enhanced condensation using hybrid surfaces with hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties, characterization of microencapsulated phase change material slurry and nanoparticles as heat transfer fluids, as well as the study of spray and droplet impingement cooling using nanostructured surfaces. He and his research team have also characterized experimentally the flow behavior and heat transfer performance of a heat exchanger consisting of vortex generators.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 2004
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 1999
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez - (Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, United States) 1991
- Wang, Y. i., Alvarado, J. L., & Jr, T. W. (2020). Thermal performance of helical coils with reversed loops and wire coil inserts. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 146, 118723-118723.
- Ali, A. K., Wang, Y. i., & Alvarado, J. L. (2019). Facilitating industrial symbiosis to achieve circular economy using value-added by design: A case study in transforming the automobile industry sheet metal waste-flow into Voronoi facade systems. Journal of Cleaner Production. 234, 1033-1044.
- Wang, Y. i., Alvarado, J. L., & Jr, T. W. (2018). Thermal and flow characteristics of helical coils with reversed loops. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 126, 670-680.
- Zhang, T., Muthusamy, J. P., Alvarado, J., Kanjirakat, A., & Sadr, R. (2018). Experimental and Numerical Visualization of Heat Transfer and Hydrodynamics Induced by Double Droplet Train Impingement. Transactions - ASME: Journal of Heat Transfer. 140(8),
- Wang, Y. i., Al-Saaidi, H., Kong, M., & Alvarado, J. L. (2018). Thermophysical performance of graphene based aqueous nanofluids. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 119, 408-417.
- Park, J., Alvarado, J. L., Chamorro, L. P., & Marsh, C. P. (2018). Effects of multiple trapezoidal vortex generators on flow and surface cooling. International Heat Transfer Conference. 2018-August, 3005-3014.
- Archi, C., Nasser, T., & Alvarado, J. (2017). Modeling a DFIG based wind system for unbalanced grid voltage condition.
- Zhang, T., Muthusamy, J. P., Alvarado, J., Kanjirakat, A., Sadr, R., & ASME, .. (2016). EXPERIMENTAL AND NUMERICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF DROPLET-INDUCED SPREADING-SPLASHING TRANSITION IN SURFACE COOLING. 2,
- Li, Q., Alvarado, J. L., & ASME, .. (2016). LARGE EDDY SIMULATION OF EMULSIFIED CANOLA OIL SPRAYS IN SWIRL -PROMOTED COMBUSTION CHAMBER. 7B-2015,
- Kong, M., Alvarado, J. L., & Terrell, W. (2016). THERMAL PERFORMANCE OF MICROENCAPSULATED PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL SLURRIES IN A HEATED HELICAL COIL. 11TH IIR CONFERENCE ON PHASE CHANGE MATERIALS AND SLURRIES FOR REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING. 2016-January, 254-262.
- Haq, Syed Mohammad Hameed Ul (2018-12). Numerical Simulation of Uniform Circular Microjet and Mono Dispersed Micro Droplet Streams for Impingement Cooling. (Master's Thesis)
- Mejia, Jose Eduardo (2017-12). Effects of Acoustics on Induced Droplet Shedding In Dropwise Condensation. (Master's Thesis)
- Saber, Omid (2017-08). Development and Characterization of a High-Speed Material-Testing Machine, and Experimental Analysis of Frictional Flash Heating and Dynamic Weakening in Rock. (Doctoral Dissertation)