My laboratory is currently working on a number of projects involving genetic engineering in cattle, goats, sheep and horses. We use CRISPR/Cas gene editing to specifically alter the coding sequence of genes in sheep to produced biomedical models of human disease, specifically hypophosphatasia. My lab is actively working on projects to produce gene edited cattle that are resistant to respiratory disease. We have also successfully used gene editing to correct the glycogen branching enzyme deficiency mutation in horses. We are also interested in altering the carcass characteristics of beef cattle by genetic engineering genes specifically related to meat tenderness in Bos indicus cattle. Other projects in the lab involve the use of mesenchymal stem cell-based therapies for treatment of equine disease and in particular methods for using these cells to over express proteins that can modulate the inflammatory response. We also have interest in using livestock as bioreactors to produce biotherapeutics and vaccine antigens in their milk. I have extensive experience in using genetic engineering in combination with assisted reproductive technologies (including somatic cell nuclear transfer) to produce live animals.
- United States Department of Agriculture - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1998
- Ph.D. in Veterinary and Animal Sciences, University of Massachusetts Amherst - (Amherst Center, Massachusetts, United States) 1996
- M.S. in Animal Science, University of Missouri - (Columbia, Missouri, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Animal Science, University of Missouri - (Columbia, Missouri, United States) 1986
- Long, J. M., Trubenbach, L. A., Hobbs, K. C., Poletti, A. E., Steinhauser, C. B., Pryor, J. H., ... Satterfield, M. C. (2021). Maternal nutrient restriction in late pregnancy programs postnatal metabolism and pituitary development in beef heifers. PLoS ONE. 16(4), e0249924-e0249924.
- Carrillo-González, D. F., Rodríguez-Osorio, N., Long, C. R., Vásquez-Araque, N. A., & Maldonado-Estrada, J. G. (2020). l-Carnitine Supplementation during In Vitro Maturation and In Vitro Culture Does not Affect the Survival Rates after Vitrification and Warming but Alters Inf-T and ptgs2 Gene Expression. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21(16), 5601-5601.
- Pinzon-Arteaga, C., Snyder, M. D., Lazzarotto, C. R., Moreno, N. F., Juras, R., Raudsepp, T., ... Long, C. R. (2020). Efficient correction of a deleterious point mutation in primary horse fibroblasts with CRISPR-Cas9. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 7411.
- Long, J. M., Trubenbach, L. A., Pryor, J. H., Long, C. R., Wickersham, T. A., Sawyer, J. E., & Satterfield, M. C. (2020). Maternal nutrient restriction alters endocrine pancreas development in fetal heifers. Domestic Animal Endocrinology. 74, 106580-106580.
- Suva, L. J., Westhusin, M. E., Gaddy, D., & Long, C. R. (2019). Engineering bone phenotypes in domestic animals: Unique resources for enhancing musculoskeletal research. BONE. 130, 115119-115119.
- Pinzon, C. A., Carrillo, D., Moreno, N., Saavalainen, J., Schmitz, D., Golding, M. C., Wu, J., & Long, C. R. (2020). Harnessing a viral protein for efficient homologous recombination during mammalian genome editing. Transgenic Research. 29(4), 481-481.
- Williams, D. K., Pinzon, C. A., Huggins, S., Pryor, J. H., Georges, H. M., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2018). Genetically Engineering a Sheep Model of Hypophosphatasia. FASEB J. 32(S1), 859.10-859.10.
- O'Gorman, C. W., Long, C. R., & Wells, K. D. (2014). Evaluation of culture and electroporation of feline fetal fibroblasts used to assess the effect of zinc finger nucleases on gene targeting efficiency. Transgenic Research. 23(1), 204-204.
- Long, C. R., Golding, M. C., & Westhusin, M. E. (2014). Lentivirus mediated transgenic livestock: applications in biomedical research. Transgenic Research. 23(1), 192-193.
- Carlson, D. F., Tan, W., Geurts, A. M., Long, C. R., Muir, W., & Fahrenkrug, S. C. (2012). Adding and subtracting livestock genes with transposons and nucleases. Transgenic Research. 21(4), 901-902.
- Skiles, William Mark (2017-12). Environmentally Induced Epimutations, Their Persistence, and Potential Causality in the Development of Disease in the Offspring of Exposed Individuals. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Georges, Hanah Michale (2017-08). Enhancing the Innate Immune Response in Porcine Cells Through Genetic Manipulation of the IRF-7 5' UTR. (Master's Thesis)
- Snyder, Matthew D (2016-08). Analysis of the Histone Methyltransferase ASH2L via RNA Interference and CRISPR-Cas9 during Bovine Early Embryonic Development. (Master's Thesis)
- Veazey, Kylee Jordan (2015-12). An Epigenetic Basis to the Etiology of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ramirez Carvajal, Lisbeth (2014-08). Enhancement of Innate Immunity to Control Viral Infections in Livestock Species. (Doctoral Dissertation)