My primary interests involve many aspects of surface wave generation and propagation, including shelf-scale wave transformation, nonlinear wave-wave interaction, wave breaking and nearshore circulation, and the effects of various bottom types, with an emphasis on cohesive bottom sediments. Recently, I have been investigating the signature of nearshore phenomena (breaking, dissipation and nonlinear dynamics) on the longer term statistics (effect on spectral shape, skewness, and asymmetry). I am also interested in data assimilation, and the ability to invert known or best-deduced dynamics to yield information such as bottom characterization parameters, input conditions and bathymetry.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Delaware - (Newark, Delaware, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States) 1987
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, California State Polytechnic University - (Pomona, California, United States) 1986
- Kim, I., & Kaihatu, J. M. (2021). A consistent nonlinear mild-slope equation model. 170, 104006-104006.
- Chen, Z., Jang, S., Kaihatu, J. M., Zhou, Y., Wright, F. A., Chiu, W. A., & Rusyn, I. (2021). Potential Human Health Hazard of Post-Hurricane Harvey Sediments in Galveston Bay and Houston Ship Channel: A Case Study of Using In Vitro Bioactivity Data to Inform Risk Management Decisions. 18(24), 13378-13378.
- Aly, N. A., Luo, Y., Liu, Y., Casillas, G., McDonald, T. J., Kaihatu, J. M., ... Rusyn, I (2020). Temporal and spatial analysis of per and polyfluoroalkyl substances in surface waters of Houston ship channel following a large-scale industrial fire incident.. Environ Pollut. 265(Pt B), 115009-115009.
- Ardani, S., & Kaihatu, J. M. (2019). Evolution of high frequency waves in shoaling and breaking wave spectra. 31(8), 087102-087102.
- Resio, D. T., Vincent, C. L., Tolman, H. L., Chawla, A., Rogers, W. E., Ardhuin, F., ... Pushkarev, A. (2019). Progress during the NOPP Wave Model Improvement Program.
- Kaihatu, J. M., Ardani, S., Goertz, J. T., Venkattaramanan, A., & Sheremet, A. (2018). Wave Dissipation Mechanisms in Spectral Phase-Resolved Nonlinear Wave Models. Advances in Coastal Hydraulics. 235-262. World Scientific.
- Kaihatu, J. M. (2017). Wind, Wave and Current Modeling and Prediction. Encyclopedia of Maritime and Offshore Engineering. 1-11. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Kaihatu, J. M., & Ananthakrishnan, P. (2016). Mechanics of Ocean Waves. Springer Handbook of Ocean Engineering. 77-100. Springer International Publishing.
- Lynett, P. J., & Kaihatu, J. M. (2016). Modeling of Coastal Waves and Hydrodynamics. Springer Handbook of Ocean Engineering. 597-610. Springer International Publishing.
- Hwang, P. A., Huang, N. E., Wang, D. W., & Kaihatu, J. M. (2014). HILBERT SPECTRA OF NONLINEAR OCEAN WAVES. Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences. Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences. 285-299. World Scientific.
- (2018). Lessons learned from the first round of course assessments after curriculum restructure based on ASCE BOK2. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings. 2018-June,
- Kaihatu, J. M., Goertz, J. T., Ardani, S., & Sheremet, A. (2017). Nonlinear and Dissipative Characteristics of a Combined Random-Cnoidal Wave Field. 7A-2017, v07at06a037-v07at06a037.
- Fowler, D. A., Macik, M. L., Kaihatu, J., & Bakenhus, C (2016). Impact of curriculum transformation committee experience on faculty perspectives of their teaching and its influence on student learning. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings. 2016-June,
- Tahvildari, N., Lynett, P. J., & Kaihatu, J. M. (2014). A Numerical Code for Waves in a Two-Layer Shallow Fluid. 8B, v08bt06a054-v08bt06a054.
- Sharma, A., Panchang, V., & Kaihatu, J. M (2013). Numerical modeling of nonlinear wave transformation using elliptic mild slope equation. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. 1061-1067.
- Researchers To Examine Risk Of Flood-Induced Chemical Spills At Coastal Facilities Texas A&M Today December 21, 2020
- Offshore Islands Might Not Shield Coastlines from Tsunami Waves EOS: Science news from AGU December 12, 2017
- Lee, Wonhyun (2018-08). Modeling Of Three-Dimensional Wind-Driven Hydrodynamic and Environmental Processes in the Arabian/Persian Gulf. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lu, Chi (2016-12). Riverine and Sediment Processes in the Yangtze River Estuary-modeling and Validation. (Master's Thesis)
- Liao, Ying-Po (2016-12). Interaction of a Turbulent Wind with Ocean Surface Waves - Numerical Modeling. (Doctoral Dissertation)