My laboratory is broadly interested in understanding the structural basis of signal transduction events that occur at the membrane surface. These events are mediated by signaling proteins that reversibly associate with membranes in response to binding second messengers, such as Ca2+ ions, diacylglycerol, and phosphoinositides. One of the key kinases regulating these signal transduction pathways is the Protein Kinase C (PKC) family. Aberrant levels of PKC expression or activity have been implicated in a large number of human diseases, such as cancer, cardiac failure, Alzheimer's disease, and diabetes. Despite the significance of PKC in signal transduction and human health, the structural and dynamical basis of its activation upon binding to lipid membranes remains elusive.
- Katti, S., Nyenhuis, S. B., Her, B., Cafiso, D. S., & Igumenova, T. I. (2020). Partial Metal Ion Saturation of C2 Domains Primes Synaptotagmin 1-Membrane Interactions. Biophys J. 118(6), 1409-1423.
- Katti, S., & Igumenova, T. I. (2020). Interference of pH buffer with Pb2+-peripheral domain interactions: obstacle or opportunity?. Metallomics. 12(2), 164-172.
- Taylor, J. T., Mukherjee, P. K., Puckhaber, L. S., Dixit, K., Igumenova, T. I., Suh, C., Horwitz, B. A., & Kenerley, C. M. (2020). Deletion of the Trichoderma virens NRPS, Tex7, induces accumulation of the anti-cancer compound heptelidic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 529(3), 672-677.
- Cole, T. R., Erickson, S. G., Morales, K. A., Sung, M., Holzenburg, A., & Igumenova, T. I. (2019). Cd(II)- and Pb(II)-Induced Self-Assembly of Peripheral Membrane Domains from Protein Kinase C. BIOCHEMISTRY. 58(6), 509-513.
- Katti, S., Her, B., Srivastava, A. K., Taylor, A. B., Lockless, S. W., & Igumenova, T. I. (2018). High affinity interactions of Pb2+ with synaptotagmin I. Metallomics. 10(9), 1211-1222.
- Yang, Yuan (2016-08). Investigating the Roles of the C-terminal Tail and the Metal-dependent C2 Domain in PKCa Regulation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Morales-Rivera, Krystal A. (2013-12). The Metal-dependent Function of C2?: A Conditional Membrane Domain from Protein Kinase C?. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Stewart, Mikaela D. (2013-08). Determining the Intrinsic Properties of the C1B Domain that Influence PKC Ligand Specificity and Sensitivity to Reactive Oxygen Species. (Doctoral Dissertation)