- Clinical Assistant Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
I am an anatomic veterinary pathologist from Bern, Switzerland with broad experience in macroscopical and histological evaluation of tissues from various animal species. I am specialized in Dermatopathology and I provide diagnostic service in the Dermatopathology Speciality Service as well as diagnostic service to the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at TAMU. My research focuses on understanding the pathogenesis of non-inflammatory alopecia in dogs. I am investigating the molecular pathways involved in the activation of follicular stem cells and the regulation of the hair cycle. Our research group in Bern could establish a method to investigate the colony forming capacity of canine follicular stem cells and transit amplifying cells. In Utrecht, The Netherlands, I established the culturing of canine skin organoids (derived from interfollicular epidermis and hair follicles). This model system recapitulates in vitro skin stratification more faithfully than currently used 2D lines. These organoid lines provide the basis to explore epidermal function, to investigate culture conditions necessary for the development of organoids with a HF signature and to address cutaneous disorders in dogs and potentially human patients.
- Azevedo, C. N., Sterman, A. A., Stranahan, L. W., Taylor, B. M., Wiener, D. J., Davidson, J. R., & Russell, K. E. (2020). Pathologic and flow cytometric features of a case of canine ventral cervical lymphangiosarcoma. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY DIAGNOSTIC INVESTIGATION. 32(3), 476-480.
- Bannoehr, J., Balmer, P., Stoffel, M. H., Jagannathan, V., Gaschen, V., Kühni, K., ... Roosje, P. J. (2020). Abnormal keratinocyte differentiation in the nasal planum of Labrador Retrievers with hereditary nasal parakeratosis (HNPK). PLoS ONE. 15(3), e0225901-e0225901.
- Wiener, D. J., Groch, K. R., Brunner, M., Leeb, T., Jagannathan, V., & Welle, M. M. (2020). Transcriptome Profiling and Differential Gene Expression in Canine Microdissected Anagen and Telogen Hair Follicles and Interfollicular Epidermis.. Genes (Basel). 11(8), 884-884.
- Boonekamp, K. E., Kretzschmar, K., Wiener, D. J., Asra, P., Derakhshan, S., Puschhof, J., ... Clevers, H. (2019). Long-term expansion and differentiation of adult murine epidermal stem cells in 3D organoid cultures. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 116(29), 14630-14638.
- Hammes, K., Vannini, I., Nitzl, D., Veiga, I., Wiener, D., & Wenger-Riggenbach, B. (2019). Canine sterile neutrophilic dermatosis (resembling Sweet's syndrome) with severe extracutaneous manifestations.. Schweizer Archiv für Tierheilkunde. 161(4), 231-238.
- VMTH Clinical Service Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences 2019
- Dechra Prize Award conferred by European Society of Veterinary Dermatology - (Maastricht, Netherlands) - Best Laboratory Research (Junior Investigator) 2014