Progression of chemical reactions often requires the presence of a substance called a catalyst that selectively accelerates the desired reaction(s) without itself being consumed. In this regard, enzyme catalysts are very selective towards specific reactions. However, their ability to tolerate a wide range of reaction conditions is poor. On the other hand, non-enzymatic catalysts (inorganic and organic) are robust and tolerant to a wide range of conditions, but they are not very selective. The long-term goal of my research program is to integrate (marry) desirable traits of both these catalysis systems in order to develop catalytic systems with novel functionalities.
- Al-Mashhadani, H., Capareda, S. C., Lacey, R. E., & Fernando, S. D. (2020). Catalytic valorization of glycerol for producing biodiesel-compatible biofuel blends. BIOFUELS-UK. 11(5), 1-15.
- Gejji, V., & Fernando, S. D. (2020). Simultaneous separation of carboxyl functionalized cellulose and egg albumin using ionic polyelectrolytes in an aqueous-organic multi-phase system. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. 237, 116316-116316.
- Wang, H., Jayaraman, A., Menon, R., Gejji, V., Karthikeyan, R., & Fernando, S. (2019). A non-beta-lactam antibiotic inhibitor for enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O104:H4. JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE-JMM. 97(9), 1285-1297.
- Mallawarachchi, S., Mahadevan, A., Gejji, V., & Fernando, S. (2019). Mechanics of controlled release of insulin entrapped in polyacrylic acid gels via variable electrical stimuli. DRUG DELIVERY AND TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH. 9(4), 783-794.
- Gejji, V., Lacey, R., & Fernando, S. D. (2019). The use of polyelectrolytes for simultaneous dewatering and fractionation of microalgal proteins, lipids, and pigments. Algal Research. 44, 101675-101675.
- Gejji, V., & Fernando, S. D. (2016). A polyelectrolyte-based system for separating charged particulates from aqueous biological suspensions..
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D. (2014). Methane as a hydrogen donor for the deoxygenation of biomass derived organics. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D. (2013). Equilibrium analysis on methanol-to-hydrocarbon reaction by Gibbs free energy minimization method. ACS Photonics. 245,
- Carter, S. B., & Fernando, S. D. (2013). Solvent Phase Algal Migration (S.P.A.M.) process: A technique for dewatering microalgae. 5, 3978-3991.
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D. (2012). Effect of pressure on pyrolysis of algae to make hydrocarbons [p] [p]. ACS Photonics. 243,
- Longtin, Nicole Ann (2019-08). ANALYSIS AND OPTIMIZATION OF SPIRULINA PLATENSIS MICROBIAL FUEL CELL. (Master's Thesis)
- Mahadevan, Aishwarya (2019-08). IRON-SULFUR BASED MOLECULAR WIRES FOR ENHANCING CHARGE TRANSPORT IN ENZYMATIC BIO-ELECTRODES. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Carter, Seaborn B (2018-12). An Organic Solvent-Flocculant Based System for Chemical Dewatering of Algae. (Master's Thesis)
- Almashhadani, Husam Ahmed Mohammed (2017-05). Catalytic Dehydration and Etherification of Alcohol and Glycerol to Produce Biodiesel Compatible Fuel Additives. (Master's Thesis)
- Mahadevan, Aishwarya (2014-12). Comparison of Molecular-Wires for Enhancing Charge Transport of Enzymatic Electrode Assemblies: A Glycerol Bioanode Model. (Master's Thesis)