Progression of chemical reactions often requires the presence of a substance called a catalyst that selectively accelerates the desired reaction(s) without itself being consumed. In this regard, enzyme catalysts are very selective towards specific reactions. However, their ability to tolerate a wide range of reaction conditions is poor. On the other hand, non-enzymatic catalysts (inorganic and organic) are robust and tolerant to a wide range of conditions, but they are not very selective. The long-term goal of my research program is to integrate (marry) desirable traits of both these catalysis systems in order to develop catalytic systems with novel functionalities.
- Longtin, N., Oliveira, D., Mahadevan, A., Gejji, V., Gomes, C., & Fernando, S. (2021). Analysis of Spirulina platensis microalgal fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources. 486, 229290-229290.
- Al-Mashhadani, H., Capareda, S. C., Lacey, R. E., & Fernando, S. D (2020). Catalytic valorization of glycerol for producing biodiesel-compatible biofuel blends. Biofuels. 11(5), 621-635.
- Gejji, V., & Fernando, S. D. (2020). Simultaneous separation of carboxyl functionalized cellulose and egg albumin using ionic polyelectrolytes in an aqueous-organic multi-phase system. Separation and Purification Technology. 237, 116316-116316.
- Mulgaonkar, N., Wang, H., King, M., & Fernando, S (2020). Druggability assessment of precursor membrane protein as a target for inhibiting the Zika virus.. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 40(8), 1-17.
- Gejji, V., Lacey, R., & Fernando, S. D. (2019). The use of polyelectrolytes for simultaneous dewatering and fractionation of microalgal proteins, lipids, and pigments. Algal Research. 44, 101675-101675.
- Gejji, V., & Fernando, S. D (2016). A polyelectrolyte-based system for separating charged particulates from aqueous biological suspensions. 2016 ASABE International Meeting, 2016 ASABE International Meeting.
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D (2014). Methane as a hydrogen donor for the deoxygenation of biomass derived organics. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 247,
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D (2013). Equilibrium analysis on methanol-to-hydrocarbon reaction by Gibbs free energy minimization method. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 245,
- Carter, S. B., & Fernando, S. D (2013). Solvent Phase Algal Migration (S.P.A.M.) process: A technique for dewatering microalgae. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2013, ASABE 2013. 5, 3978-3991.
- Gunawardena, D. A., & Fernando, S. D (2012). Effect of pressure on pyrolysis of algae to make hydrocarbons [p] [p]. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 243,
- Longtin, Nicole Ann (2019-08). ANALYSIS AND OPTIMIZATION OF SPIRULINA PLATENSIS MICROBIAL FUEL CELL. (Master's Thesis)
- Mahadevan, Aishwarya (2019-08). IRON-SULFUR BASED MOLECULAR WIRES FOR ENHANCING CHARGE TRANSPORT IN ENZYMATIC BIO-ELECTRODES. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Carter, Seaborn B (2018-12). An Organic Solvent-Flocculant Based System for Chemical Dewatering of Algae. (Master's Thesis)
- Almashhadani, Husam Ahmed Mohammed (2017-05). Catalytic Dehydration and Etherification of Alcohol and Glycerol to Produce Biodiesel Compatible Fuel Additives. (Master's Thesis)
- Mahadevan, Aishwarya (2014-12). Comparison of Molecular-Wires for Enhancing Charge Transport of Enzymatic Electrode Assemblies: A Glycerol Bioanode Model. (Master's Thesis)