The underlying premise of my research is that emotional processes are the foundation of behavior and thought. In my laboratory, we examine the role of affective reactions and emotions in how people think about the future and what they think will happen to them in the future. We are also investigating when and why particular emotions might improve functioning and decision making. This work falls broadly within the emerging interdisciplinary field of affective science, which focuses on understanding emotional and affective processes. This field involves research on emotion, emotion regulation, mood disorders, and affective neuroscience, using a variety of methods and approaches.
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, University of California, Irvine - (Irvine, California, United States) 2007
- M.A. in Experimental Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy, California State University, Fresno - (Fresno, California, United States) 2001
- B.A. in Psychology, Florida State University - (Tallahassee, Florida, United States) 1999
- Levine, L. J., Lench, H. C., Stark, C., Carlson, S. J., Carpenter, Z. K., Perez, K. A., Stark, S. M., & Frithsen, A. (2020). Predicted and remembered emotion: tomorrow's vividness trumps yesterday's accuracy. MEMORY. 28(1), 128-140.
- Coles, N. A., Larsen, J. T., & Lench, H. C. (2019). A Meta-Analysis of the Facial Feedback Literature: Effects of Facial Feedback on Emotional Experience Are Small and Variable. PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLETIN. 145(6), 610-651.
- Bench, S. W., & Lench, H. C. (2019). Boredom as a Seeking State: Boredom Prompts the Pursuit of Novel (Even Negative) Experiences. EMOTION. 19(2), 242-254.
- Lench, H. C., Levine, L. J., Perez, K. A., Carpenter, Z. K., Carlson, S. J., & Tibbett, T. (2019). Changes in Subjective Well-Being Following the US Presidential Election of 2016. EMOTION. 19(1), 1-9.
- Lench, H. C., Levine, L. J., Perez, K., Carpenter, Z. K., Carlson, S. J., Bench, S. W., & Wan, Y. (2019). When and Why People Misestimate Future Feelings: Identifying Strengths and Weaknesses in Affective Forecasting. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 116(5), 724-742.
- Lench, H. C. (2018). The function of emotions: When and why emotions help us. Springer International Publishing.
- Lench, H. C., Berry, C. M., & Schlegel, R. (2013). Guide to Elementary Statistics for Psychology.
- Lench, H. C. (2008). The Relation of Approach and Avoidance Goals to Persistence, Affective Judgments, and Health. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller.
- Lench, H. C., Baldwin, C. L., An, D., & Garrison, K. E. (2018). The emotional toolkit: Lessons from the science of emotion. The Function of Emotions: When and Why Emotions Help Us. (pp. 253-261). Springer International Publishing.
- Lench, H. C., & Carpenter, Z. K. (2018). What do emotions do for us?. The Function of Emotions: When and Why Emotions Help Us. (pp. 1-7). Springer International Publishing.
- Tibbett, T. P., & Lench, H. C. (2015). When do feelings help us? The interpersonal functions of emotions. Advances in Psychology Research. (pp. 1-10).
- Darbor, K. E., & Lench, H. C. (2013). Anger and Aggression. Shally-Jensen, M. (Eds.), Mental Health Care Issues in America: An Encyclopedia [2 volumes]. (pp. 47-53). ABC-CLIO.
- Darbor, K. E., & Lench, H. C. (2013). Regulating the impact of emotions to improve decisions. Handbook of Psychology of Emotions: Recent Theoretical Perspectives and Novel Empirical Findings. (pp. 489-502).
- Benson, Kathryn Taylor (2017-08). Toward the Identification and Refinement of a Behavioral Indicator of Identity Coherence. (Master's Thesis)
- Tibbett, Thomas P (2017-05). The Personality Consistency Scale. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Alexander, Jennifer Rose-Lee (2016-12). Using an Emotion Regulation Framework to Advance Conceptualization of Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors. (Master's Thesis)
- Berg, Logan Alison (2015-05). Big Thoughts, Small Wants: The Impact of Mental Construal on Impulse Strength. (Master's Thesis)
- Darbor, Kathleen Erin (2015-05). The Influence of Experienced Regret on Goal-Related Intentions and Motivations. (Doctoral Dissertation)